FOCBOX UNITY | Official

Yeah it’s a bit confusing what I mean by this sorry, really tired last night. Can an ESC make a motor seem broken when it isn’t? Absolutely. Could an incorrectly configured ESC break a motor after you go for a ride on it? Yes, through melting the windings or overdriving it’s maximum speed, the latter would only happen on high voltage high kv motor with low pole count.

However, if on the test bench just revving the board up upside down the motor stops running, and then even after being disconnected from the ESC without ever being ridden the motor is still broken (siezed in this case) it’s hard to imagine how the ESC could cause this, unless maybe the motor was extremely hot, like 200 Celsius such that it could melt the insulation etc. Would be pretty noticable I think and it should smell awful like burnt insulation .

4 Likes

no its okay. eric helped me out!

1 Like

I just want to confirm that Eric helped you but he wasn’t able to change the address

@Deodand Hey probably a bit off topic but this question has baffled me for quite some time. How does a random Chinese ESC do motor detection? I’ve seen people just hook up a hobby esc and the motor just spins. Does it perform detection when it’s powered on? Or it does not at all and just come with fixed values?

@Deodand any word on a side loadable iOS version of the app?

1 Like

No motor detection, fixed values, they work for you if you’re lucky

1 Like

I guess a lot of that depends on the uniformity of the winding at the motor factory?

This is totally expected: DHL Express always charges this fee and is one of the reasons why you should always avoid such a delivery method if possible (when ordering from outside of the EU). There are many people on this forum that had to make this experience (me included when ordering Jacob’s Hubs).

How much was the customs fee, if I may ask?

FYI I followed up on the broken unity, someone advised him to make bullet adapters for his motor but didn’t tell him to insulate them. He’s very new to building so he didn’'t insulate and they shorted together during bench testing.

7 Likes

First rule of BLDC club. Insulate those phases. Insulate good.

1 Like

Yeah, I think everyone has to blow something up through carelessness every once in awhile. Keeps you on your toes :smile: I’ve murdered about 3 unity alpha/beta units doing some really silly things.

I hope you gave him my details… :wink::wink: Shameless plug…

3 Likes

He has warranty, but I think the unit will end up in your steady hands soon.

4 Likes

He will be getting replacement due to the platinum warranty on the Unity and @Deodand you will be getting the faulty one

7 Likes

I had told him I would take it off his hands but then found out about the warranty because then I knew I would send it to @JohnnyMeduse to fix.

@Deodand when will there be a focbox tool for the on the mac currently if I had purchased a unity it would be collecting dust.

Don’t worry for me… it is probably going to end up on my desk… :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Yeah but then I would have a unity on the cheap

Hell Id take a Unity for at least 100+ above market price at this point :rofl:

anyone? o3o

1 Like

Pretty sure @Kug3lis linked a Mac build somewhere above. I still need to acquire a cheap setup for building apple related things.