FOCBOX UNITY | Official

Yeah there are 4 settings there,

Batt Speed Wheel diameter and… TEST ERPM - RPM - Which I’m guessing are the motor poles? Can’t seem to find a pinion to spur ratio.

Yeah so once your board is connected, hit that button:

It will prompt you to turn one of your wheels 10 times by hand then hit OK. It will do motor poles and gear ratio lumped together in a single detected number. No thinking required :laughing:

Right now its saved as a persistent variable in the app. I think in the future I will have the numbers seperate (motor poles and gear ratio) and written to the Unity. Only reason being with motor poles, flux linkage, and winding resistance I can get a very accurate estimate of motor size and suggest a safe maximum motor amps limit during config.

1 Like

Looks quite nice actually. Didn’t get any warnings for not being signed though. Edit: so no more BLDC motor settings? I like that sound when it accelerates up hill :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: image

1 Like

Damn that’s cool. Thanks for explaining~

1 Like

So the Unity will only work in FOC?

No, also works in BLDC but works well in FOC

It’s possible to run bldc. I’ve had motors spinning and I think with more effort I could have gotten it working well. But honestly FOC just works way better, and is easier to implement in a dual motor setup because of how the control scheme works. I think FOC is the way forward anyways and it works great on the unity with config easier than ever.

3 Likes

Thanks for the explanation.

I do like the whiring from BLDC though.

But if FOC works well I’ll use that.

1 Like

Shit its a tiny little thing. I imagined it being at least the same size as 2 focs. Love the attention to detail in the packaging too. Wiring diagram, set up guide. Beats the focbox in a box (work it out yourself) of yesteryear.
Nice work @onloop @Deodand And of course the irreplaceable @CarlCollins And all the guys behind the scenes. Really great stuff.

6 Likes

@lemntl @jippijuk c’mon guys you can build an eskate there’s nothing hard to install windows on a mac. Here >>> Bootcamp. I installed mac on my windows machine that’s even harder.

If things are too complicated, I guess DIY might not be for you :stuck_out_tongue: You can get a Boosted and “it just works”, like that kind of philosophy on Apple products. I’ve ridden Boosted so I’m not making this up :wink:

1 Like

You are correct there is nothing hard at all, just forgot it was an option, but thanks for the helpful advice. Also Parallels does seam like a better option for anyone else that needs to do this too.

Dont know if this works correctly for everyone but I tried to compile this to be static so no 3rd party libraries required :slight_smile: If it doesn’t work let me know :blush:

https://www.3dservisas.eu/FOCBOX_UI_1.0.dmg

EDIT: will probably require to go to system preferences to security and allow to run it as its unsigned don’t have active license to sign it :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Ok apparently I’m a slacker because I recieved my unites yesterday and I still haven’t opened my boxes look at them let alone instalked one.

Yea I was really happy when I saw that it saves a bit of space with this one.

Its really well made from what I can tell. Nice clean solder flow around the components I can see from the top (without voiding my warranty)

Everything feels really strong and stable on it from a physical standpoint. I think it was @b264 that told me to imagine slamming my board against a concrete wall for 30 minutes and design it to withstand that…with this mounted well on a deck, you won’t have a problem with that.

1 Like

Holy moly! Impressive work man! Take some rest now and dodge the burnout :stuck_out_tongue:.

1 Like

sounds like something only @b264 would say :smiley:

1 Like

You sure it was him? :roll_eyes::rofl:

57 Likes

Can’t heart this post enough

4 Likes

Seems like the time frame has been adjusted over the days, but I think it was him.

2 Likes