FOCBOX UNITY | Official

Nah, it was censer review request, @Deodand is working his ass off

Well, I don’t really care if you hate me or etc but I am not expecting anything just gently reminding that someone has promised something.

Yeah don’t really mind either. Good to have someone keeping me on it. Kind of tend to do the things I feel like doing and organizing my code into a nice repository feels a lot like cleaning my room (you don’t want to see my room. :smile:)

I don’t hate anyone kugs. You’re very good at sounding like a cock though.

2 Likes

There is a thread about the topic. Open source, rights and obligations…

If you don’t know how to follow the license, you should not distribute the code until you got yourself educated. Since distribution happened already, you should get yourself educated fast.

A: The GPL License needs to be distributed together with the product (hard- or software). B: Customers need to be informed that the product or parts of it are licensed under the terms of the GPL. C: You need to offer the exact source code that is matching the software found on the device. D: You need to tell your customers how and where they can get access to the sources. E: A copyright notice needs to show.

You can ad your copyright if you changed the code. It should be clear what the changes are, and to which part of the changed code your copyright applies. You don’t need to ad your copyright btw. GitHub makes it easy to compare code and see who is responsible for which changes. GitHub sorts out many issues the GPL brings on the table.

For new files, you can apply your copyright. You always need to apply the GPL license to those files, even if it’s 100% your work. The GPL is viral!

4 Likes

But it’s so much more fun to let you educate me :smile:

In all seriousness I’ve done my best to read up on it, but I wanted to confirm my understanding and this all matches what I’ve read.

6 Likes

You can hover the mouse over it, and the tooltip says who it is.

Ooooo Neat

Yeah one of my projects s trying to get all that organized into git repos on the new account I’m making. Some organization will benefit everyone but damn is it tedious.

Hope to see a structured Git and the necessary changes on the Enertion website soon. Till then the license stays terminated. This is how the GPL section 8 works.

1 Like

@Deodand you need to create orgnaisation under Enertion name, fork a vedder/bldc code create branch so it would make changes more visible and push everything there. Add license headers with your name/enertion name to new files you created, add license file stating that its based on vedders work with gpl license text and you clear :wink:

3 Likes

How much import tax you got to pay ?

@Deodand just don’t forget the firmware (“bldc” repo) as well as the tools. Last time when enertion finally tried to release it, they never had the actual firmware but only the tools code.

2 Likes

Thanks guys, all this info is great. Setting up org now, one final question the license statement at the top of each file goes:

“This file is part of the VESC firmware.”

Is it correct to leave this or change it to something like:

“This file is based of code from the VESC firmware.”

If it doesn’t matter I’ll just leave it.

Probably depends on if changed code is contained or not. You should ad a trademark notice if you are not the owner of the mark. Use VESC®*

*VESC is a registered Trademark owned by Benjamin Vedder.

1 Like

It’s not present in original code so its not required.

don’t involve stuff you have no idea what it is frank…

4 Likes

Don’t put vesc in the new files at all

I’m going to add “based on vesc® open source project” with the trademark to the readme, butI found sometimes in some of the code he uses the following wording without vesc which seems less confusing:

“This program is free software: you can redistribute…”

I’m just going to put this instead of the opening statement with vesc in it for more clarity.

Is it? Wow. Learn something new every day.

3 Likes

I was just pm with @Deodand…next week will be very exciting with over 180 US customers and one Icelander @Grozniy all receiving Unity controllers I think this is probably the biggest shear volume release of technology that has hit the eSk8 industry.

2 Likes