FOCBOX UNITY | Official

@nw-esk8 totally understand this reaction, but I’d like to offer a few counter-points and reasons everyone should be excited. Keep in mind value wise there are a couple things you aren’t considering like the included anti-spark switch which would run you at least $20-$30 US plus shipping and the trouble of wiring (not to mention our switch won’t fail on you and is under warranty). Additionally the unit comes with an integrated internal bluetooth module which would be something else you’d have to order third party and another added cost of $15-30 plus shipping. This included bluetooth module is an NR52, so it will be faster and more responsive than the standard HM10 modules most people sell.

I think the final and biggest thing everyone should be excited about is that Enertion has made the leap into fully custom open-source vesc-based firmware to accompany their hardware. Part of what this price is reflecting is supporting me so I can focus on additional firmware features after launch. Most other companies are just taking Vedder’s firmware, and uploading it to their hardware. While there’s nothing wrong with this, it does mean there is generally a divide between the people coding firmware and the people making the hardware. This lack of understanding can lead to issues in hardware design or missed opportunities for awesome new features. For instance, one feature not listed above is the Unity hardware has a populated 3-axis accelerometer and 3-axis gyro. Currently we have been too focused on getting to production to develop the extra features here, but I’ve got some exciting plans on how to use this additional incoming data.

In developing the Unity, I had to gain a deep understanding of how the Vesc firmware is put together. Re-configuring the hardware timers and ADC timings of the MCU to accurately control two motors synchronously wouldn’t have been possible otherwise. This combined with @Blasto’s experiences with the original FOCBOX means we have a good breadth of understanding of how the hardware and firmware of vesc-based designs can be improved.

Every aspect of the unity has been agonized over for an absurd amount of time. When you complain about the XT60 connector you should know it’s something we’ve already thought about in depth, here’s a video of an XT60 handling 180 amps for 10 seconds:

This connector will easily support 80 amps continuously while only getting slightly warm. The stated 160 amps rating for the Unity is 160 total motor amps continuous and we don’t recommend using over 100 battery amps or your unity. For an eskate, 100 amps at 40V is 4 kW! This should be plenty of power for the majority of people.

Anyways we can’t make everyone happy obviously, but I do hope everyone can believe we didn’t just slap a bunch of components together and a price tag and say “here ya go!”. This thing is our baby and I’m super excited for everyone to get their hands on them and experience the improvements! Please keep the feedback coming though, love to hear everyone’s thoughts!

22 Likes

Just to be sure, the integrated Bluetooth module is not compatible with the metr pro app, right?

1 Like

Oh btw, how did you solve issues with FCC and CE for bluetooth module? I am also looking into this stuff at the moment…

Is there such a thing as safe shutdown? So instead of just shutting down, unity would just disable acceleration apply .5A braking and slowly come to a stop? I don’t like the idea of any ESC shutting down on me for any reason whatsoever.

Been waiting for this. Honestly thought it would be months away.

Pre-Ordered.

Now I can think about my next build properly… :ok_hand:

3 Likes

This is badass :skull_and_crossbones:

2 Likes

As long as the reason for shutdown is non-critical than this is totally feasible. For instance the Vedders firmware already continues to allow braking even after your battery dies and it no longer allows acceleration. Many of the soft faults are this way, stopping acceleration current but allowing braking current. Unfortunatley some failure modes mean the motor controller is unable to continue working correctly so only option is shutdown.

1 Like

@Deodand Are the PCB conformal coated?

Definitely an idea we have been toying with. The silicone case seals up the whole thing pretty nicely but I always love a little extra protection. Stay tuned!

Support has told me the Unity will be CE certified for the EU, can this be confirmed. Also in my opinion the base price is not an issue, it is the low ball tactic of throwing on between 40-50AUD for “shipping” for each unit.

To screw with it even more the shipping difference between USA and EU is a double scam.

One unit shipped to the US and to Germany are both $51AUD. Change that number to 21 units and the shipping to the US becomes $490AUD but the shipping for EU becomes $800AUD!

That equals €510 extra just for shipping.

3 Likes

I prefer the “water-resistant and waterproof” method as I call it, where

The stuff is designed for water/brine to not get inside – but if it does get inside, it’s designed to work properly still

This is how you make a “tool” and not a “toy”

4 Likes

Be prepared when%20its%20about%20to%20get%20good

8 Likes

I’m going to start flagging anyone who complains about shipping prices. You all sound like a bunch of crying babies.

Have any of you bothered to get a quote on express shipping from China latley? It’s fucking expensive and always increasing.

If we lower shipping prices you get slow shit shipping with shit tracking, consignments can take 45 days to arrive when using cheaper shipping. Then everyone will be bitching about how slow and shit the shipping is.

Stop bitching.

4 Likes

Why is there a shipping difference of €200 between shipping the same thing to USA vs EU when the base price of shipping a single unit is the same?

Because EU is more expensive

Seems a bit much for post that aren’t breaking any rules. They’re valid concerns

23 Likes

Do a group buy, shipping will be less per part.

Have you tried 4PX? It’s pretty cheap and super fast, plus they use multiple delivery services and in the end I received package ~5kg for like 40$ in less than 10 days last courier was DPD…

EDIT: no vat no taxes :slight_smile: it came from belgium :smiley:

5 Likes

Receiving 30 escs for like $28 (4px,FedEx) from China to UK

2 Likes

What’s the cost of shipping it to China?

canary