FOCBOX UNITY | Official

@Deodand I am more than Ok with waiting 1.5 months for it hahaha. I just want to do it right the first time, money not an issue and the Chassis has been water jet cut and will be welded up in the coming days,only then will I post a build progress post with expected hardware. I just worry that with 12s6p, 10" pneumatic tyres and 130kV APS 6384s motors and 15T/66T belts that my amps will be too high and will cook everything I plug into it. Long time skater, first time electric, first time builder… I have zero experience with setting up VESC or FOCBOX and last thing I want is to melt something because I was too thirsty in pursuit of speed hahah thanks for the info though!!

What are the best practices for heatsinking unity. Can a closed enclosure design work? What about just mounting unity? Screw it into wood? Metal? Fish paper?

Hey, i preordered a while ago and wondered are you guys still on track to shipping in november? Do you guys think i will recieve it in december/early january because i live in san francisco. Thanks

@Woody1989 the Unity will be able to deliver the power you need. See my reply below on how to further optimize performance.

@billappleton Really depends on your power draw. For an average power board (10s4p and 80 amps per motor max) you can mount it pretty much anywhere and get good performance. If you want to improve performance during super long hill climbs mounting it to a large aluminum plate within your build will help dissipate heat greatly. For maximum performance you’d want that aluminum plate to have some airflow (expose one side of the plate to airflow) . The unity will be able to throughput close to 5kW in a configuration like this. @Blasto and I are working on a datasheet with some plots to show what different loading scenarios look like with different thermal setups. Should be ready in a few weeks but I’ll post some of the early results/plots here.

@dougpage Yes, we are still on track. Currently testing the production units with @Blasto as I type this. We are having some very positive results. Identified a few minor BOM changes to fix issues with the new smart-switch but PCB routing is solid so no delays there. Currently testing dual 130 kERPM at 30 kHz pwm and everything seems to work smoothly. Need higher kV motors to test 150kERPM, we are running a 14S battery right at the bleeding edge of blowing everything up but the unity is going strong.

7 Likes

awesome :-D. thanks heaps for the info @Deodand I think I just need to stop second guessing and pull the trigger on FOCBOX unity. thanks for all the help. look forward to your feedback/critisisms/advice on my upcoming build!!!

Thanks for the quick response!

Are there any improvements to the Unity over current FOCboxes in terms of reliability at 12S? I’m currently running two FOCboxes on a 10S dual sensored 6384 200kv mountainboard in FOC mode but am thinking about upgrading to 12S.

Because I ride my board in traffic every day for commuting, reliability is my top priority so I don’t know how I feel about running standard FOCboxes at 12S (and also slightly over 60000erpm), particularly when I want to be able to draw 80A-100A total from the battery for extended periods of time for fairly long hill climbs.

Been considering upgrading to VESC 6’s but have also been curiously following the progress of the Unity…

3 Likes

All of the FETs on the unity are actually 75V rated fets. the only 60V component is the drv8301/3, unfortunatley that tends to be the failure point. There’s also a 60V TVS diode across the power bus to sink transient spikes. We have even done some lab bench testing at 14s for stress testing purposes. The unity is definitely designed to support 12s. That said, there will always be some reliability trade offs as you move closer to the voltage limits, and its pretty difficult to say how much more risk you accept moving from 10s->12s. Perhaps in our warranty replacement programs we could collect stats to obtain some meaningful insight into this question.

5 Likes

Thanks for the detailed info :slight_smile: If I wanted to maximize reliability as much as possible for higher voltages, do you think adding a small external capacitor bank between the battery and ESC could likely help at all?

It’s not likely too. The voltage spikes will likely occur on the motor phases during a few obscure cases that don’t happen when things are working properly. The one exception would be if you went down a steep hill with low kV motors and exceeded the maximum rpm that caused back emf of the motor to surpass 60V.

1 Like

So low kv motors can make more voltage (during braking) than high kv, even if geared to the same top speed? I’m interested to know how this works. I like low kv motors.

1 Like

Nice to see that you guys at enertion doing all this stuff + plus trying to scary people with your provisional patents filled after people were posting information on forum while urself haven’t released a single piece of code to public based on licensed software you use :wink:

7 Likes

Didn’t you go into a group chat and say you were going to patent the gear drive and sue Kaly? :joy:

1 Like

Well probably is hard for you when you don’t understand jokes :wink:

Image result for joke you

4 Likes

Right…hard to call it a joke after you double, and then triple downed on it.

Then there was something about you backing folks to sue carvon?

1 Like

Soo on topic bro :wink: I am not backing anyone :slight_smile: I don’t even participate in carvon topic :slight_smile:

Well even if I talked about it was in group chats not threat emails to other makers in forum :slight_smile:

ITS A DANCE OFF…is it a dance off…lets have a DANCE OFF!

grabs popcorn :grinning:

1 Like

@Deodand I’ve been hearing all this “80a per motor” in my head now and I would like to hear this info from you.

Because on enertion’s website The focbox 4.12 claims

60A Continuous Current

and we know that’s not true.

Can the focbox-unity’s really handle double the current of our old focbox’s?

Check out @hexakopter’s post

Ran both motors @80A for 90 seconds before thermal throttle

https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/focbox-unity-official/64944/317?u=blasto

Yeah I want to hear this from him.

Hex bench tested it with no load not in some enclosure, and he pulled the video before it could show if it would thermal throttle to like 30a.

Basically I want to know is the focbox-unity just an ESC with some tweaks and a better heatsink. Or is it some amazing ESC that pushes more power and creates less heat while running.

1 Like