Focbox in FOC mode

Final okay needed!!!

1 Like

As Shaggy said. :musical_score:It wasnā€™t meā€‹:notes::musical_note::notes::musical_note:

1 Like

Yea focboxes and focā€¦ Big nope. A colleague from work fried (surprisingly just) one of the two focboxes in my freshly made trampa board.

Dual focbox on dual sk3 149kv on 12s. Motor max 45, motor min - 30, batt max 45, batt min - 20. Also did a proper motor detection and all the usual stuff. Very disappointedā€¦ :frowning:

1 Like

hm sad to hear :frowning: Ive been running it without problem so far ā€¦ Its definitely much much less likely to happen in the focbox than the torqueboards vesc (for example) but it still does happen ā€¦

do you have the extended warranty?

Been running sensored foc here too on both my boards for quite some time. One board is 8s and one is 12s. So far no issues (knocks on wood). I usually heed the old warning of ā€œIf it isnā€™t broke, donā€™t fix itā€. Is it worth upgrading from 2.54 to the new extended bldc firmware @jinra?

1 Like

i am still running the enertion fw :smiley: never changed it

1 Like

Did you monitor the temps? What is the airflow in the enclosure? Possible shorts?

Iā€™ve never tried the stock firmware. I swapped it out right away for 2.54.

1 Like

That should answer your question :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah yes. That is probably good advice. Thank you.

Yes monitored temps, never exceeded 49 degrees celcius (peak at most rides). Closed enclosure without any shorts.

Iā€™m getting temps around 29C max in the mornings (7C ambient) and around 41C max in the afternoon (21C ambient) - closed but not watertight enclosure. Iā€™m on 10S, dual FBā€™s with Canbus on FOC. Been driving it for about 2 weeks now, clocked around 80 kilometers so far no problems. Iā€™m trying not to over abuse the partsā€¦

I really hope the setup survives until the winterā€¦itā€™s really odd that these things fail at random. Iā€™m still using stock FW.

Itā€™s just a pity to put that much money, time and care into the build and then a 150$ part goes awry so soon.

What boggles me sometimes is: Iā€™ve basically set up a similar electronics build as found in the raptor (minus the fuse). Dual FBā€™s, canbus, 10S 30Q , FOC. Theoretically the FB should survive the 12S but why is the raptor 2 only on 10S then? So yeah, they have their reasons to use the configuration that they use. And replicating that electronics config should not make things worseā€¦in theory at least.

Hey guys,

I set up my second build today and am a little stuck on the foc configuration step.

I switched the mode to FOC, hit measure R and L. Did it, done. Then hit Measure Lambda (Reg: R) but it says Bad Detection Results and does not give me the Lambda value.

What can i do?

@Jinra sorry for pinging- but youre my Foxbox guru :slight_smile: do you have any clues what i could do? cheers

what f/w are you on? does BLDC detection work?

I am using the standard Enertion fw and a SK3 6364 190kv unsensored motor. BLDC detection also fails

you might have a motor short or itā€™s hooked up wrong, pics?

Update on my one failed FocBox on dual Carvon V3 setup (split ppm all settings the same). I had mine fixed, I decided to stay on BLDC for a bit. Everything worked spectacularly, rode about 40 mile on bldc.

Finally decided to change it to FOC right before SPD2. Test rode it for a mile or so and it worked. Next morning at SPD2 I rode it for maybe 50 yards and one drive stopped working. Opened it up and the same vesc had a fault. Luckily DRVWiard was also there and swapped it out at the end of the day. Iā€™ve gotten 30 mile on FOC now and still working (fingers crossed) Iā€™m thinking I just a bad first batch Vesc-X?

motor short would be super surprising as its brand new. the first detection step works and the motor spins but then the second fails.

Sometimes the motor mounting screws are too long and can hit the copper and cause a short, maybe check for that?