Focbox in FOC mode

so in your more “pro” opinion, I should try FOC again when I get the FocBox back from repair? it’s like putting $300 down on a bet…sigh

1 Like

so true. but i could not resist and i really never ever wanna go back. like it’s worth it i guess. but i also should add that i have the extra warranty so they should fix it whatever i do haha

wow i can’t even imagine what could still be better? :smiley:

Thinking about going Foc this weekend. I have 2 focbox’s and 6355 dual motors. Do I jist literally change the option for bldc to foc and done?

FOC has always been a bit of a risk, if you don’t want to chance it, just run BLDC

watch this

My motors stuttered at high RPM on f/w 2.xx. Also, when I was on the bench at max duty and applied more throttle it changed the pitch of the motor to a lower tone. I think these things would potentially blow my VESC if I used it that way.

With 3.xx both these issues were non existent.

@joeadams101 No you need to redo detection

no you need to do the FOC motor detection as well

a little more. in the FOC tab, there are some measuring and applying, but it’s pretty simple…I’ll do as @Jinra said and attempt FOC one more time and take the $300 loss if needs be

I’d say the majority of the way people kill their VESCs is applying too much throttle when things aren’t moving or aren’t moving correctly. If you set it up and apply a little bit of throttle and it doesn’t move, do not slam the throttle forward and back like 99% of the videos people post on here. Applying full throttle == applying max current you set. 60A-ish current on a non moving system is an easy way to blow your VESC.

6 Likes

My first issue was cut out during acceleration, then it was cogging, finally it all seems to be perfect and I got was what I thought was weak brakes, turns out it was because one motor/vesc wasn’t working

1 Like

Exact same issue!!!

Ok:

1. Where do I get the 3.29 firmware?

2. Can I upload the firmware from my standard bldc tool firmware tab?

3. Where do i get the bldc version for 3.29 -> Should i get the extended bldc?

vesc-project.com They don’t have a compiled version for Mac, though I think someone on here might’ve compiled the latest release.

Alright I’ll just boot my mac in windows to do it

v0.82 there has firmware 3.29 compiled for Mac thanks to @rpasichnyk

2 Likes

I just downloaded the VESC_Tool 0.82. Did I have to do something like upgrade the firmware of the FocBox before connecting?

1 Like

Once you connect it’ll work in limited comms mode until you flash 3.29 to the FOCbox

did you try foc already? :slight_smile:

nope. not going to do anything until my vesc comes back. still on it’s way to Canada at the moment

2 Likes