Foam/surf board grip tape?

Hello! Was wondering if anyone else has used alternative grip tape such as the foam grip they use on surf boards, boats, jet skis, etc.

I put it on my board about a month ago hoping it would soften the ride and reduce vibrations since it’s an all carbon deck. So far so good!!

imageimageimage

15 Likes

Myself and LHB use glass as the grip. Gives is a crystal clear finish on top. The foam grip you put on the board looks really good. You could also use rubber risers or get in on the group buy with riptide that is making a channel riser out of urethane.

1 Like

Yeah I’ve herd of that glass grip I’ll have to check it out sounds cool. I actually have 1”risers with 1/4” rubber on it too. And thanks! It’s loud but I like it haha :man_shrugging:t2:

what adhesive do you use with the glass?

I love It. Do you have a link?

I use brushed on spar urethane then cover that layer with the glass let it dry and then you put another coat or 2 on to of it so it is sandwiched between layers of it.

1 Like

That’s how you end up with the top of the decks looking like this.

imageimage

1 Like

Wow that’s an amazing effect! If my board had cool designs underneath I’d definitely consider that!

20161219_224944 Did this with high density eva foam. Actually really like the finish. Was intended for the winter. Also really good for rain. Not sure how it feels with shoes, but feels great barefoot. Like your grip job. Any links as to where one could buy?

2 Likes

That’s awesome! I thought the same thing with me you could definitely ride barefoot. I bought it on amazon and there’s a bunch of different colors and patterns. Wish I got a little more creative tho with the pattern. It’s a bit pricey tho but the strip is long so you can do any longboard.

https://www.amazon.com/SeaDek-Long-Embossed-Sheet-Material/dp/B06WW9T1Q1/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?encoding=UTF8&psc=1&ref=oh_aui_i_d_old_o0_img

1 Like

Holy crap you weren’t kidding! That is not cheap! But if you have a cf deck, price probably isn’t an issue. Yours looks like the ultimate barefoot roller. I don’t recommend barefoot riding though. This happened to me last week… 20180624_211129 Really wish i was wearing shoes lol… Not on esk8.

1 Like

Ouch that looks rough I saw you guys talking about barefoot riding and I wouldn’t even do that on a push board.

What happened btw?

Was just riding on my old school deck a block to get my mail. For whatever reason i thought it would be fun to go barefoot. Kick pushed, went to transfer my back leg back on to the deck and forgot it wasn’t a long board. Completely missed the deck with my back foot and then used the top of it to stop as my front foot carried on the my skate HAHA. Oops. Pretty much good to go now.

1 Like

Ouchhhhhh yeah I haven’t nor would I ride barefoot haha it’s funny cause you could if you wanted but definitely doesn’t seem like a good idea!

1 Like

IMG_4637 Trying out loaded pushin cushion under my grip tape. Haven’t tested it out yet but seems promising.

2 Likes

That’s a good idea! I thought about that too putting something underneath, I’m curious how the grip tape holds up flexing with the cushion. Definitely post again after some rides!

1 Like

I’ve ridden a push board barefoot it isn’t to bad.

1 Like

I’ve done this years ago works great so does shag carpet, and leopard skin cloth, I’ll try to find the pics of my old ones.

2 Likes

Great idea padded grip tape. Try contacting a plastics and composite supple store they can hook you up with the exact strength and composite type for the padding you need

3 Likes

Hey man, I did a one with epoxy. just crushed glass panels and filtered out the right size. It was ultra grippi but something like P16 grit size as well. The zebrawood shined nice sharp through it as the pieces were spaced and mostly where feet went

Tried making anti-slip epoxy once, but at any stage it didn’t work. Only with the add-on of good thickening agents like Aerosil but billions of bubbles from have to ‘flowed’/vacuumed out

For polyester/vinylester resins it could be done by waiting for the (usually 30s-2min) right curing window when the resin has enough viscocity to hold it’s hape (sharp edges) and not collapse on it’s own weight. After that window it form gel pieces which start rolling around and ruining everything tho

2 Likes