FlipSky Dual FSESC4.20 Info/Review

People are running this esc successfully on these stats:

BLDC Motor Current Max : 30A Motor Current Max Brake : -30a Battery Current Max : 50A Battery Current Max Regen : -40A Absolute Maximum Current : 120A

This is how the esc works. You are over the settings regardless of when the cutouts happen, especially with FOC. It just wont work.

1 Like

Dual over can bus

This doesn’t sound good at all… sounds like it’s the same issue as the others who are having cutouts when pushing the board hard…

Again, I have 2 boards running these on FOC without cutouts.

But maybe I don’t push the ESC as hard as everyone else here, I don’t know.

The only difference is I rolled back the VESC firmware to an older version so that my telemetry would work.

That could be the cause of your issues as you have the kv to high for the battery you should be using those on a 6s-8s build and your motor amps are higher then the 100a it is rated for your current setting can be a total of 160a. So you could be experiencing the issues going up a hill because your motors are not giving you enough torques to get up the hill and you are probably experiencing sag on the pack while going up hills with your setting. I’m actually surprised that you haven’t blown the vesc if you did balls out flat road speed test.

Thanks @mmaner for doing a well educated test with this vesc and giving a great honest review for people who are on the fence. I have been looking at this or the 6.6 dual.

1 Like

Is that the erpm limit of 60k of vesc4? If so, I pulled full throttle no load several times and it reached 70k ish in vesc-tool but nothing happened, so did I damage the vesc?

Well I haven’t pulled full throttle on the road yet…mostly riding at 25km/h (15mph)

Bench testing the easiest way to mess up a vesc. Easy throttle, just to make sure it moves, then button it up get on it and ride to test.

1 Like

Are those current settings for each of the vesc, or both of them combined? You said you use sony vtc6 in 10s2p and it has 15A max discharge per cell, so I assume you’d set 15A for each of the vesc? What firmware version did you roll back to?

Those values should be per vesc basically if you have a single you would do everything how yours is set up for dual you cut it in half

It’s actually per vesc… Let me check firmware version when I am back…

1 Like

So I use samsung 20R in 2p, I set 20/-5 each VESC, seems about right right?

The battery is set up right but the motor is not.

I purchased a Flipsky Dual 4.2 last Friday… Got the following email last night… It seems they know about the issues and are warning purchasers…

Dear customers

Thanks for order our dual FSESC4.20, Just kindly reminder that:

Due to two phase design, the ESC has strict requirement on parameter setting. If not match well, it will cause over-current cut off during hard brake or hard accelerate for about 0.2s, but after 0.2s it will recover the power.

Pls cautiously consider your order. In order to avoid any after-sale service trouble to you, we’ll wait for your final decision reply to ship or not!

Here’s our suggestion for the setting , it’s verified no such problem in this setting.

10S battery Motor Current Max: 30A Motor Current Max Brake: -25A Absolute Max Current: 130.00A Slow ABS Current Limit: True

Battery Current Max: 30A Battery Current Max Regen: -25A

DRV8301 OC Mode: Current Limit DRV8301 OC Adjustment: 16

5 Likes

Hm battery max 30A really seems on low side…

Though it is still better than car escs, for example :smiley:

Its been said more than once in this thread but go for the FSESC 4.12. I’m using them now for some time (at least 500km) without any failures at 10s and up to 45A/-10 battery and 50A/-50 motor in a dual setup without any issues. I even build me a 2s booster pack going 12s without problems (I can’t tell that for long term usage since 12s is too much for me, my board goes 61kph with that :D, I’ll use it limited to 50kph for battery extension) You can get them for 50€ at ebay including shipping :wink:

3 Likes

I feel like it is user error that have been the cause of some of the issues as not being set up properly @mmaner knows how to set up a board to get the most out of it and I feel like there can be a few faulty units but I think it is mostly user error as these seem as a very good alternative I would really like to try out the 6.6 dual.

1 Like

last time i check i saw them for 30€ but 20€ shipping.

1 Like

Hey, Just did a small review on the FLIPSKY Dual 4.2 VESC, if you are interested in checking it out the link is at the bottom Just wanted too put it out there with a few of my own words, for a dual 4.2 vesc its defiantly been a great product to use and l will tell you my pros and cons

Pros:

• Dual means that I didn’t have to stuff around truing to housing to separated items and link them, they came linked and stayed as 1 block and was easy just to put it into my housing as such
  • There Cheap (~$230 AUD), that is still a lot but its pretty much the price for 1 Focbox, so defiantly a bonus there
  • shipping was less than a week with DHL Express

Cons:

• Currently has issues with 12s configuration (from what lam told)
  • if you loose one side then you pretty much loose the whole vesc as it cont be replaced if they were separated

Personal l didn’t have any issues with setting it up and haven’t had any since, did what l need it to do and still dose :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I am using FSESC 4.20 in CARVON EXO. Cutoff occurred at motor -35A. Cutoff occurred frequently at -50A. Now I am trying at -32A. There is no particular problem in others.