FlipSky Dual FSESC4.20 Info/Review

I don’t go incredibly fast but I never go slow. I did real world tests to get real world results.

1 Like

What I mean is… Even slow riding it will cut out? Meaning you are not even drawing high amps to begin with yet it still cuts out.

Just trying to understand what is happening because mine doesn’t cut out despite having my motor amps at 65A.

1 Like

I’m not sure that I have the data you are looking for. The only time I see 5mph is when I’m accelerating through it.

What pack are you running and what’s your battery values?

1 Like

10S2P Sony vtc6. I forgot what I set my battery settings at, will need to check.

I did roll back my vesc to and older firmware because i was having problems with telemetry to my remote. I wonder if that’s the difference…

Well I have read on the forum several people have had issues with it. OP has to adjust the settings to circumvent the problem. I find myself running at 10s and still have cutouts with FOC, only after switching to BLDC the problem goes away.

So now the million dollar question is, what’s your motor and battery amps settings? You seem to run at 10s and FOC with success.

Hmm…I set mine to 80/-80 for motor, 20/-5 for battery (10s2p Samsung 20R) with zero success (cutouts a ton) on FOC, however it runs well on BLDC. Tried reducing motor to 60/-60 and it struggled to climb hill so don’t know how it’s gonna be with 30a motor max…

I’m pretty pleased with the customer support. I got at this point to 6.6 changed without trouble

This is interesting… I have never ever had to tune settings like this for any vesc I have had. I am running these at 65/-40 I think… Battery 30/-15

My only idea is that I rolled back to an older firmware than what came with the dual 4.2…

Where did you get the older firmware version? I use Ack v3.102 and have cutouts as I said above. The 4.20 came with v3.40 if I remember correctly…

I wonder if it’s a firmware problem instead of. Hardware problem…

I happened to have an older version of vesc tool on my desktop. So I rolled back to that because telemetry for my remote was working with the older firmware.

1 Like

So does anyone else run it in FOC?

Plan is to use 8s and bump settings a bit from what @mmaner recommended.

BLDC is hella noisy with high kv motors.

1 Like

thanks again for posting your settings and results. It really helped me out as i was getting those cut outs. I was originally disappointed in the 30a max on the motors, but even at that setting, while not the fastest board, still performs well going up pretty steep hills on AT wheels. I do i have a set of 4.12 flipsky vescs. Was thinking about switching out the dual for those as I hear those do not have the 30a limit problem.

1 Like

I just fired up another deck using these dual 4.20s… FOC 50/-50/30/-15

Went out for a 20km ride just fine… Up and for small hills etc…

No dropouts, no over current warning. Again I rolled back to an older VESC firmware.

How did you roll over the firmware? Can you post a mini tutorial?

I happened to have an older version of VESCtool instead of the latest one. When I connected the flipsky up it just said mine was wrong version or outdated version. Flashed it anyway…

I am running 10s5p, Flipsky’s 6354motors, 97mm flywheels and 36/15t ratio on the 4.20 dual (Running FOC)

Sooo I have been getting some cutouts when I hit it hard as well but I noted that it happens when I throttle over hard bumps/cracks on the road. I checked my logs and my Xmatic App, big woop, DRV error only when I hit those bumps. I might take it to the wizard to check it out, I am certainly not sure if changing the DRV out will do any good.

Edit: Running Motor Max 40 Motor min -55 Batt Max 30 Batt Min -18

1 Like

Just wanted to let you guys know a couple of things. I’ve got 250 miles in this board and it’s still going strong. I’m sure there are other settings that work, I look forward to hearing about them.

It’ll be a few days until I have more data, rebuilding in a new deck, hummie deck, yo see if I can resolve my RKP slop issues. The moonshine deck is great but they don’t combine with SR RKP trucks very well because they are inset so far.

I’ll update when I know more.

3 Likes

Are you running single or dual set up.

Something loose?

Nope… My whole set up is tight and as perfect as it gets. I have no loose wires or electronics. I don’t even have any wires bending or anything. I honestly do no know whats going on lol. I went for a hill ride today and I got a DRV fault doing a half/full brake down the hill. Had to crash on some bushes and tree branches. Also I had a few cutouts going uphill while hitting cracks in the path.