Flipsky Dual FSESC 6.6 Discussion & Findings

Quick update. I was able to get on the phone with @BarbaraZ.
She was able to connect me to an engineer.

This is a known issue and they are currently investigating. The deviation is around 1 volt, confirmed with my own logs. The folks there believe this is a firmware software issue as they’d expect hardware inaccuracy to manifest as a static deviation and not a number that is bouncing all over the place. I did let them know that 1 volt is quite a large deviating for the battery size we are using, they agree and promise to keep me in the loop as things progress

I’ll probably check in a again in a week or so to see if there is any progression. For now I am going to set my soft cutoff 1 volt above recommended.

Regarding my interaction with Flipsky: I have only good things to say so far They are responsive (knowing how to speak mandarin probably helps here) The customer support there are friendly and honest

• I paid for the most expensive shipping only to have them reach out to tell me the free shipping I got is already the fastest tier and promptly refunded me the money. This happened without me doing anything.

Other note: I don’t work with flipsky I am not affiliated with them I paid what everyone else paid for their dual 6.6 I only had the damn thing for one day but I do intend to beat the shit out of them. I am relaying information don’t shoot \ flog \ yell at the messenger I consider myself a veteran builder having 2 diy (1 that has been rebuild at least 4 times now) and 2 other boards.

14 Likes

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Thank you for your work

Awesome. Thanks for the communication. I will definitely check back with you before setting mine up!

One last note Big thanks to @sofu for posting all the findings. Port driver probably saved my wall from some head banging @rey8801 for pointing out the BT ports. If you swapped the connections and are still having issue check baud rate.

Without these folks like the two testing, posting results and work around and generally being helpful. I would still be yelling at the board as oppose to riding on the damn thing. THANKS!

2 Likes

Glad to help. I have been on several forums, gym, motorbike, 3D printing, but I can tell you with 100% confident that this forum is by far the most active and helpful I have ever found. Thank you all for that! We should be proud :grin:

3 Likes

I am reading through all the “New VESC users” threads before mine gets here, but I am sure I will have some questions regarding this one in particular for you few if you don’t mind. :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks! Just looking to help others since I’ve been helped by this forum tons already

6 Likes

@BensonYong Is there any chance we could have some “official” responses regarding the fesc 4.20 cut outs under big load and motor issues reported in this thread?

On topic, after receiving my dual 6.6 and being very impressed with the construction of it I have now ordered a dual 4.20 as well. I’m going to be running the 4.20 on 10s5p 30Q’s and dual 6355’s - should have that operational next week and I’ll blast it around and feed back.

This is a golden era of inexpensive ecs’s :sunny:

4 Likes

Can you share your settings for this?

1 Like

Quick updated: Tried a “hill start” on the middle of the bridge. Pushed it to 70 amps on the motors.

No fuss, it just went. Remote was no were near maxed. I did notice that the board was pulling one way during start \ stop. Could just be me, a little hard to test. Will do more during weekend.

Again rig is running on lipos (12s 9000 mah 40c) 360 amps, bottle necked by 100 amp switches x 2.

3 Likes

Will try test it outside today)

2 Likes

Mine should be here tomorrow according to DHL, waiting till next week on the rest of my build though lol. Fast shipping to the US.

Quick update: Increased the settings as I said previously and i’ve gotten a list of hills to test the 6.6 to its limits:

1. Bradford above Tompkins (41% grade) 2. Romolo between Vallejo and Fresno (37.5% grade) 3. Prentiss between Chapman and Powhattan (37% grade) 4. Nevada above Chapman (35% grade) 5. Baden above Mangels (34% grade) 6. Ripley between Peralta and Alabama (31.5% grade) 7. 24th between De Haro and Rhode Island (31.5% grade) 8. Filbert between Hyde and Leavenworth (31.5% grade) 9. 22nd between Vicksburg and Church (31.5% grade) 10. Broadway above Taylor (31% grade)

Will also do a sustained hillclimb test up twin peaks. Hopefully it (and me) doesn’t die…

12 Likes

So overall, is the fesc good or bad? Because I hear mixed reactions :confused:

The 4.12 based ones seem to be not great, but so far the 6.4 based ones have been fine I think…

The 4.20 appear to work well on foc with 10s, if you push 12s on foc they suffer errors under “extreme” load. That’s the collated reports so far. 10s and 12s appear to be ok on bdlc.

I’m going to run my 6.6 on 12s foc and 4.20 on 10s foc and I am not concerned at this point after reading other people’s reports.

2 Likes

But it seems there are even problems on 10s with (not so) high currents. What conffig have you ran on 10s?

My 4.20 arrives next Tuesday, I’ll be putting it in to a 10s5p 30Q on dual maytech 6355’s and punish it for science.

2 Likes

Keep us updated!

BTW its important to note, there are quite a few versions of FESC 4.12, 4.12 dual, 6.6, 6.6 dual.

12s issues had been coming from 4.12 duals. 6.6 duals which is what this thread is focusing on has no known issue except weird voltage readings which is annoying but you can work around.

Its also important to recognized that this is a new product and folks who have it right now are early adopters. I don’t think anyone has the 6.6 dual long enough yet to be able to comment on long term reliability.
If you are risk adverse it may be better for you to pick up a more established product like focboxes or vesc 6 from trampa which also have their own pros and cons :slight_smile:

3 Likes