Fliess 3 - "Einmal DirectDrive - Immer DirectDrive!"

I don’t know how I missed this project. You’ve done a marvellous job, your projects get better and better. I’m looking forward to what you do next, SO WEAR A HELMET and protect your very clever brain so you can entertain us all with your next incredible build!

6 Likes

Congratulations Fliess!! You win the internet today!!

You have set the bar high on high speed electric skateboard tech.

5 Likes

Holy crap Im even more excited about my drives. Going to a machine shop this week! They have a lathe and small cnc I can use there.

NOOOOOO! Stop that right now. He is lightyears ahead of SkateSwordsman with his “tech” :joy:

3 Likes

@bigben, appreciate your support mate! I am also looking forward to see/ride Fliess 4 :smile: And I swear, I always wear a helmet when I have a good ride! This one is “video exception” :slight_smile:

@jrpwit, you are not going to regret, just do it man :wink:

@Idle, yeah! Internet is mine! 70 views in one day, it’s gonna be the most popular video on internet just in a few days :sweat_smile: Thanks.

1 Like

@GrecoMan, initially I haven’t got you, but then found this stuff https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/interested-in-high-speed-electric-skateboard-tech/34728 and now I don’t know what to say :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Haha hope you didn’t take it in a bad way🤣. It was a praise! Your motors are a thing of beauty, I don’t have the time or patience to even attempt anything like that. I look forward to the Fliess 4

2 Likes

we are on the same page dude :wink: Thanks!

2 Likes

hey dudes! Just discovered for myself a nice bicycle path with a total length of 95km in Frankfurt area. Unfortunately/fortunately it’s for everybody, so anybody/anything could be there walking, riding, whatever doing. Means it’s not for making records like “the fastest 40km nonstop” :expressionless: But still cool for the weekend ride :relieved:

I am also going to put some update soon on 1000km direct drive riding experience.

Cheers, Eugen

6 Likes

Nice videos… It looks like if you added some urethane on top of these motor cans / barrels, you could get one big ‘roller’ facing the road… :smiley: Would be interesting to see something like that with its huge contact patch with the ground…

Though handling/ steering would probably be affected, i believe

They look EXACTLY like Carvons. They’re SK3s stuck to a wheel, just like Carvons. I mean if i didn’t know better i wouldn’t be able to tell the two apart.

3 Likes

The hanger makes the difference:D

2 Likes

@Okami, no way man, I am not even interested [quote=“Okami, post:72, topic:32279”] to see something like that with its huge contact patch with the ground… [/quote] :smile:

Thing is 99.9% of the time I ride just perfectly normal and very soft Flywheels 90mm. And only sometimes, these rubber tubes over the motors act like additional wheels :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I know, all this stuff looks a bit wrong, like there is a big problem with clearance, and it overheats…and there is not enough torque. And it looks especially suspicious for those who never tried it, or those who tried but it was a single motor, or those who tried but protection of the motors was not enough :confused:

After all, let’s see after few more thousands. So far it’s only ~1000km. And believe me, roads were not always as perfect as on videos :slight_smile:

@Nordle, thanks for hint how to distinguish them, because, honestly, I was also confused just like @longhairedboy :smile:

2 Likes

my street is the worst street ever i swear. Everythig i’ve learned about mitigating vibrational damage has come from riding on my own street. of course there’s a paved paradise two houses down from me… but my particular street is terrible.

Beautifully done, now this urges me to finish my old hub project ( inspired by stielz in es site),

Just some questions, What motor size are you using?, You just lathe the direct drive from scratch? ( if i dont find any cnc/lathe machines workshop here maybe ill go with kegel) 12mm will be the final diameter of the axle?

1 Like

two houses down – are you sure that’s a street and not a driveway? :wink:

Hey @fliess,

An off topic question but I noticed you used Purple Kegels in one of your tests. Could you tell me your thoughts on how it compares to the flywheels on bumpy roads? Is it a noticeable difference?

I have the purple kegels now and am debating on whether I should upgrade to flywheels for smoother riding.