Fishpaper and cell level fusing, USE IT!

I gotta finish documenting my PowerWall build, 2240 individually axial fast blow fused cells :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I don’t believe heat was the main cause because the wire was breaking right where it connected to the solder blobs (at cell and at brass). Those spots seem to me like weak points where vibrations could fracture to the metal.

I don’t know if this means anything but I have a 40 amp blade fuse before the battery’s xt60. So I don’t draw much current for my battery.

Heat would definitely contribute though. So maybe I should try 20 awg like you suggested.

1 Like

Could it be cold solder joint? Are you doing a pull test after every wire attached?

1 Like

Doesnt look cold to me but 20 awg would be an improvement though. Also more slack.

Let’s wait for more or chaka’s guide though

1 Like

Alright alright! :grin:

I’m editing some photos right now. Have them up before I’m finished with my coffee!

2 Likes

2 Likes

Posted a few more steps, all I have time for this morning. More to come!

3 Likes

Awesome! Thanks for taking the time

Where do you get this brass bar from?

eBay, search .016" brass bar

1 Like

Interested in the positive side instructions when you have a chance @chaka

Me too. I though the fuses were meant to go on both negative and positive or is one end enough?

Took a shot at cell level fuses.

11 Likes

One end is enough, just be sure to fuse the positive end. I’'ll post more details soon.

1 Like

I was going to ask you about just fusing one end. Thanks!!!

Most dangerous part of any build, I bet there’s been so many accidents with people trying to save a bit of money to bodge a battery together! Nice in depth tutorial @chaka at the end of the day if you don’t have the proper tools or materials to make a pack or are not very confident in being able to put one together be patient and just save up!

@Aeroquiv what it that red stuff you put underneath the busbar? And any other suggestions we could use in place of it? I really would like to learn more about safety and I would like to protect my boards better and keep the name of eskating away from anyone who wants to put it down or make it illegal in anyway

Red fishpaper

1 Like

What about figuring out the fuse wire we would need would depend on our set up like vesc settings, motor wattage, amperage being pulled on highest usage? Any formula to figure this out?

Sure I use 16awg on top of copper strip in this application 18awg would be good for 20a

1 Like