First time BMSer, Is this wiring diagram correct?

Everyone must decide for themselves what acceptable risk is.

But the safe approach is to have many layers of protection. Everything can fail. What would happen when this or that part fails? If the answer is “fire” you need to do better.

The fuse will be the last line of defense for your pack. Don’t go cheap, get the right type, and size it perfectly. :slight_smile:

The fuse will be the last line of defense for your pack

That definitely sold it to me, Ive already killed 3 multistar ones (never figured out how since they would just suddenly drop to 0V) so I really dont want to ahve to buy more

@Andy87 58V, Ill make sure not to get the wrong ones, thanks for the heads up!

Strangely enough its really hard to find a decent fuse. I think THIS is good enough but if not I can just get the fuses on their own and manually solder them inline!

1 Like

Well BMS is on order. now comes the scary part of actually wiring it up.

For someone with a mild phobia of electricity, I sometimes wonder why I do this to myself - but if it works its going to be worth it!

If you have a hobby charger I would storage charge the batteries first which means they are all balanced at 3.7 or 3.8 volts. That way when you connect the batteries in parallel they are all either the same or 0.01v out.

With lipos if the voltage of the parallel cells you are connecting are too far out you can not only ruin the cells you are connecting but cause a fire due to the inrush of current. Please be very careful.

2 Likes

Would that also work if I just balance charge them to 4.2V as discharging each battery on my charger will take days each.

Yes it would.

They all just need to be the same voltage.

But you do not want to leave the batteries fully charged if you aren’t going to use them for days as Lipo’s start to wear quicker if always left fully charged. Which is why I suggested balancing them to 3.7/3.8 volts. Just from how I work as i only get weekends to work on my boards (if that) so it is better for the batteries to keep them at the storage charge while working on them.

2 Likes

lipo tend to bloat up too if they are left at full charge for prolong periods.

1 Like