First test: TA-BROS hub motor adapter hanger for Avenue RKP suspension base plate

IMG_0021 IMG_0023 IMG_0022

My good friend @donta42 and his brother built something very special; a new, replacement hanger for Avenue RKP trucks that mates to hub motors from popular Shenzhen ESK8 platforms (Meepo, WowGo, OwnBoard, Verreal, etc.).

To test these, I selected a Verreal that I just purchased to create my own Boosted Mini alternative (I have a Boosted Mini and I cannot stand it) - and because this particular little Foxen deck basically masks nothing, I left it on and did a quick few miles before, and after.

Short version: theyā€™re even better than expected:

• on Disney-smooth pavement there is no meaningful change (as expected), and;
  • Avenues arenā€™t shock absorbers, a Meepo with slick thane does not magically become a Trampa (also, as expected).

Wholly unexpected, however, is the big (BIG) reduction in vibration on normal, everyday asphalt roads.

Back to back, I felt like I was on hidden camera. Iā€™ve used Avenues for years on analog and guys, I feel this ā€˜rear hub motor vibration reductionā€™ use case might be Avenueā€™s best ever. I have to concede that there were moments (not minutes and minutes), running at about 18 MPH in a straight line, where I must concede this Verreal felt like it had four actual longboard wheels thanks to the Avenue suspension and Donā€™s hanger.

Worth it. Iā€™m going to test it with https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/vibrochecker-pro/id1076108553?mt=8&ign-%20mpt=uo=2 and record the results.

Iā€™d like to commend my friend @donta42 on joining the builder community, and thank my other bro @treenutter for his advice, on the journey for better boardfeel.

Iā€™m encouraging Don to continue making new hangers:

• 220mm Caliber-compatible hangers for Avenue RKPs (so any builder can use any of your mounts) and, of course,
  • The matching ā€œWide Loadā€ rear hub hanger to take the hubs out to 220mm, too.

Iā€™d love to see a quad sensored 70mm Maytech under Avenues on my little Hamboard. I think that could be the ideal carvy beast for me. :slight_smile:

If anyone is interested in these custom Avenue hangers, let @donta42 know. Mahalo!

13 Likes

Iā€™m glad you enjoyed the new ride feel dude!

For those that are interested in the seeing the build, you can check out my google album here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/1EVsnFTcMcB4FxEh8

Please feel free to ask any questions k! Cheers, Don Ta

3 Likes

How are avenue trucks at speed?

Looks clean.

2 Likes

Thanks 'Andy!

My wowgo2s gets up to about 23mph +/- and my avenues do absolutely great! There was a recent addition to my front truck that REALLY made both carving and stability difference: Blood Orange - Insert Barrel Bushings. These were introduced to me by @topcloud. The insert barrel style has an extra protruding cylinder that slips into the eyelet of the front hanger, and allows for a ā€œlooserā€ mount on the kingpin, but without slop! I only use one of them on the boardside of the front truck. It was all the difference in maintaining a combination of good carving + stability at max speed.

4 Likes

Dope! Have a spare set of Wowgo hubs/ESC and this makes things super interesting. Iā€™m in NYC so something like this might be great. I recall Acton trying something like this with the Qu4ttro but donā€™t think they were successful for other reasons.

2 Likes

You are correct bud. Actonā€™s baseplate is fail; Iā€™ve seen it here in Palo Alto.

I do not know anyone at Acton or Avenue, yet as a professional with some history in IP, it kinda looks to me like Acton tried to circumvent Avenueā€™s IP claims by basing their design off of a prior patent that was filed in the 1970s, which has since expired.

3 Likes

after riding more, I have a better way to describe it:

all the Shenzhen electrics generate ā€˜ambientā€™ vibration, right

the normal whrrrrrrrr motor vibration. that has kind of a deadening effect on the foot after a while.

the avenue is minimizing that normal rear hub vibration from the motors themselves, not jut the road, which makes this cool. Do like.

1 Like

Any plans to sell these?

1 Like

Last weekend, I had a small batch of 20 hangers machined at a local shop here in soCal. There are about 10 left. If you are interested in picking one up, feel free to email me at [email protected]

2 Likes

Iā€™ll probably hit you up after work, also need to buy some avenue trucks/baseplates.

2 Likes

i just lookd at the avenue homepage und they only sell the skate hanger seperate. definitly interested in an caliber version, but first i have to get my hands on these baseplates.

1 Like

Approx cost? I also though of this but made/welded a standard base plate to the avenue truck and bolted on the entire hub/truck Assy. I also found if you drill 3 1/8th inch holes or so in the bend it softens the ā€œsuspensionā€ quite a bit. Iā€™m 195lbs and I found this to be about right for me. This combined with 5" pneumatic wheels up front makes for a VERY smooth ride for very little money.

2 Likes

this is DIY rat rod at itā€™s finest. Do like. :cool:

1 Like

thats a good idea actually, but i would probably just bolt the normal trucks onto a plate and connect that to the avenue. My pneumatics are on the way. Maybe i could get myself a deck with alot of drop to counter that height a bitā€¦lets see.

Hey there @Forcefed86 ! I dig your Macguyver take on the avenue + hub motors! Way to get it workin!!!

Here are some more pics of it mounted to my Alva Pescado Grande. image

The biggest challenge was finding a machine shop that would make as SMALL quantity of themā€¦ There were a few people that were in support of the venture so I went ahead and made a small batch of 20. image

To be simply transparent, They cost me $92 each to have made at a local machine shop, and Iā€™m practically making no profit, sharing them at $99 + shipping.

I totally understand that mass-mass production could take that number down significantly, But that was never the plan and still isnā€™tā€¦ I never intended on making more than one for myself. I just happened to do a batch to meet the requests of @topcloud and a few others. ;p After these are gone, iā€™ll probably not make them again.

There are only 10 left. For people who may be interested in it, feel free to email me [email protected] :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Donā€™s hanger is the best, but buyers beware: the attractive wooden display stand (pictured in the center) wasnā€™t included in my shipment.

Seems to perform perfectly without it, so nbd. :wink:

2 Likes

LOL!!! Karl, the wooden display is the deck for my dogā€™s next skateboard ;p You canā€™t have it. image

4 Likes

Acton failed because they are greedy and sloppy. I have a quatro and love the board itself but when I inquired to get a set of the trucks to keep on hand as spares what I got was a quote for the ā€œtrucksā€ at $30 each, which is reasonable seeing as $40 is how much Avenue sells their complete trucks assembly for.

I got an email immediately after I was quoted the $30 rice for the trucks saying I had to send in the board and have them do it or void the warranty. Well, I bought the board used with only a few miles on it so no warranty. When they found this out what I got in the mail was just the baseplate - no hangar. When I asked where the rest of the truck assembly was they said I asked only for the baseplate. This, of course was not what I said repeating the word trucks, no where have aI ever seen trucks come with only the baseplate. After getting no where with the dumb shit who was ā€œhelpingā€ me I finally asked how much for the hangars so I could move on with life. I got a $130 quote PER HANGAR! I was like WTF? Ok, I know exactly what this is about. They couldnā€™t fleece me with and outrageous repair bill and they had already quoted me on the trucks so they sent the baseplate and fucked me on the hangars.

Real stand up way to do business guys. Acton, if you are reading this, you do know this is how it startsā€¦the beginning of the end for little mom and pop bullshit companies that get greedy instead of just trying to do the right thing and slowly build a strong and healthy customer base and stay in business for a long long time? Whatever, what goes around comes around.

I fixed this though: I have since done exactly what is being talked about in this thread, sort of. I have taken a hangar from another board and meticulously taken it to the grinder and shaped it until I got the outline I needed to place the hangar I have into the baseplate pivot cup. Everything bolted together perfectly and viola! A sweet ass at home fix, money Iā€™m out = $0. money Acton is out = with any luck a lot of $ by loosing readers and going elsewhere.

Anyhow, just wanted to chime in and give some detailed feedback of how stupid the greedy people who run Acton. Hope everyone else stays safe and stays true. Peace everyone.

1 Like

Welcome to DIY :slight_smile: way to push through

So did we answer the question?

Can hubs ever ride like thane?

I contacted an engineer from the Sorbothane company (sorbothane.com) and he suggested this vibration-isolating hemisphere, 1.5ā€, with an adhesive back that sits neatly inside the leaf spring assembly:

All I can say is: I no longer own a Mini X. :slight_smile:

Good hunting.

5 Likes