First Look at TorqueBoards Direct Drive Motor

really? thanks man ill have to look into those!

1 Like

yeaā€¦ I didnā€™t realize it until I got another motor and that one is torquey and responsive but doesnā€™t freewheel the sameā€¦ it may also be worth noting I use reds ceramics

2 Likes

If I decide to ever do a 4wd board this is what I would use for the motor

2 Likes

Also make sure to run your belts loose

2 Likes

Not to stray too far from the discussionā€¦ I run my belts just a tad bit loose but I would not really consider them loose. I still get belt skipping even with 20/36t. Do steel pullies fare better with wear and tear than aluminum? I do notice my aluminum 20t pulley rounding out noticeably, and Iā€™m assuming this effects the belt skipping. Do steel pulleys not round out, hence able to run them looser?

1 Like

Yes, I think that is the caseā€¦ or so Iā€™ve heard

1 Like

Aluminum pulleys will wear out faster than steel pulleys, about 1/3 the lifetime depending in how you ride. I think your problem maybe the 20t pulley, I got a lot more skips when I was running 20t, less mesh because the diameter is larger.

1 Like

Larger diameter should increase the teeth in mesh.

You would think but it doesnā€™t. Something to do with circumference Ɨ diameter or something.

1 Like

Idler pulleys are the common answer to the skip issue

1 Like

I was about to say thtā€¦ if u use @marcmt88 mounts from what I can see his dual idles cause more contact from the belt on the pullies

1 Like

Larger diameter will increase the number of teeth in mesh with the belt. You might be trying to say that more teeth in mesh is worse for skippage, but the number of teeth in mesh will certainly be more.

Lets not go off topic guysā€¦

5 Likes

yeah my apologies. Sooooooā€¦ Direct Drives amiright!

3 Likes

@torqueboards These motors look interesting.

I am interested in a 4WD set up with pneumatic tires. Torque is more important to me than speed.

Precision trucks sound good too. Any chance of having an adjustable base plate option? Something similar to the Donā€™t Trip Euphoria Truckā€™s adjustable base.

https://www.dtskate.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1x-Euphoria-Adjustable

As most of you already know, you can make your board more stable at speed by running a split angle setup. This means your front baseplate is at a higher angle than the rear. When you do this, the turning is done more from the front than the rear, sort of like a car. The popular and stable Landyachtz Evo deck, increases the front baseplate angle by 9 degrees and reduces the rear by the same amount. It would be fantastic to easily adjust your baseplate angles to what works best for you.

On my traditional and electric boards, I wedge most of my front trucks and dewedge some of my rear trucks. It is not all about preventing speed wobbles. Itā€™s good for long distance pumping and it also gives your board a ā€œsurfyā€ feel. It would be great to not have to bother with wedges and the bent hardware they cause.

I am looking forward to these motors being readily available for a fair price.

Best of luck.

1 Like

I feel like I should applaud all of you who have waited for so many different products over the years. Some never to meet expectations. Iā€™ve seen it digging through old threads. Iā€™m just getting into this. Seen this thread a week ago and Iā€™m already becoming very impatient for more informationā€¦ lol Guess Iā€™ll just keep staring at my phone at 5am.

7 Likes

Yes please do this!

A choice of 50kv wye or 85kv delta termination would be the best thing ever. Also for those that want 4WD, software could be made to use both kv ā€“ 50kv in the front for extreme braking and takeoff-assist and 85kv in the rear for top-end.

But if I had to choose just one, itā€™d be somewhere in the 59kv - 62kv range

5 Likes

Ive definitely be interested in the dual kv aspectā€¦ sounds like one is getting the best of both worlds

2 Likes

Youā€™d probably need to custom-write some new firmware for the VESC to utilize this, then aggressively stress-test it to make sure there arenā€™t any bugs