First Look at TorqueBoards Direct Drive Motor

@torqueboards what bullet size do the motors have?

5.5mm 10chars.

5 Likes

If it’s really anywhere near $700 then I’m definitely out. The way I see it, it’s 2 really big motors + custom truck + development costs.

2 big motors: (let’s go for the most expensive ones): 2 * $135 = $270 Really nice precision truck: around $130 Development costs: $???

Total: $ 400 + ???

So around $400 to $500 seems like a fair maximum to me. Of course, I know this math doesn’t exactly add up, but if it’s much more I’ll just pray that the Carvon torquedrive comes back in stock, or that the Chinese clone this idea soon. :wink:

so much of this post hurts me.

then…just why?

and thats why so many innovations never see anything but the drawing board.

13 Likes

i mean… carvons are 600+ so its basically in the same ballpark

If youre hoping to go with these direct drives right now youre gonna have to shell out the bucks, like all new technology its gonna take time before prices drop as more people/companies hop into the game

But if youre going to wait, be prepared to wait for more than a year :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Because I don’t know his development costs… just saying what will seem like a fair price to me. What’s your ballpark estimate?

Hah! Calling this an innovation is kind of a stretch don’t you think? The innovative idea came from somewhere else.

True, and they do look really nice… We’ll see once they come out. :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s my point, none of us do but I assure you @torqueboards will need to sell at least 100 sets to recover the development costs. If these come in under $600 Ill be very surprised.

I agree, and honestly I was on the fence about Dexter making these, but the fact is Carvon is having production issues and cant supply its current market base. Most people are not gonna wait once the idea is out there, so its either Dexter or Chinese manufacturing that is going to fill the supply gap. Id rather it be Dexter.

9 Likes

$135/motor is for large manufacturing runs with slim profit margins. These motors are heavily customized, with additional machining and parts for the wheel interface.

Really nice precision trucks are more like $1000. The cheapest precision trucks are around your price.

@torqueboards went all out and got Riptide for all the rubber parts.

Also warranty/support and spare parts. And cost of doing business in the great US and A.

Dexter deserves to make some profit for his efforts as well. I imagine his level of investment is getting pretty high, and he seems to be filling all the gaps with new developing products!

8 Likes

No offence but this is just silly. You don’t want them to make a profit?

I am gonna assume you have never ran anything resembling a successful business in your life. shrug

7 Likes

True, he does. I’d just rather not see him price himself out of the market, but looking at the responses above everybody here is more than ready to shell over $900+ for a drivetrain, so I don’t think he’ll have a problem here. Just saying I’m not, but guess what? Just vote with your wallet and it won’t matter.

Haha, well I’ll have to say you’re flat out wrong there buddy. Have had my own business for the last 6 years, stilll going strong. I also have to deal with the prices the market is willing to pay for our services, and adjust my rates accordingly. :wink:

There are many segments to the market. The low end is covered, and for most of us, leaves us wanting.

The mid end does not exist because the necessary improvements to the low end cannot be done for incremental increase in costs/price.

The high end market does exist, because this is what it costs at the moment, to achieve what we want.

1 Like

Interesting point! There clearly is some “mid end” demand since I’m a part of it. But perhaps you’re right and it doesn’t make business sense to target it, since the added volume might not be big enough to justify the decreased revenue.

@Epskampie yeah, unfortunately… to do things right it ends up costing more.

We’ve worked on this design quite a bit and have tested tons of different variations and options to build a powerful and reliable direct drive setup. R&D costs money and takes time.

There’s just no point in using casted trucks, crappy bushings, crappy bearings… just to save a bit. It ends up becoming a regretful purchase. There’s also no passion for us in offering lower quality products and unhappy customers. We’d prefer to release products that are different then what’s already available which are more reliable and higher performance.

These motors are designed and will be priced for customers that want the quality and performance. If there is no market for it then we simply won’t sell it.

Either way, I think even you will be happy about the pricing once it’s officially said. :slight_smile: We simply just don’t want to make any promises just yet.

14 Likes

I understand, there is no joy in the race to the bottom. Looking at the comments above I’m sure people will buy it no matter what. Perhaps I’ll be unable to resist as well. :wink:

That is very wise, we’ve all seen how changing estimates can damage a brand reputation.

Anyway, looking forward to see the end result in any case!

me three…

1 Like

This is so true. There are “toys” and “tools” and, for the most part, if you want a tool, you need to make it yourself or get only a tiny number of premium brands of prebuilt … none of which use hub motors or come from California or Australia… and all of which are $2k+

I read so many people saying “I want to do DIY to save money” and it’s always the biggest facepalm. Buy cheap china hub motor shit if you want to save money. That’s like saying I want to build a Lamborghini by hand because the Ford is too expensive to buy

I firmly hope these new direct drive are in the “quality tool” category, aren’t listed for-sale until they’re in-stock, stand-up to snow and brine, and price is the last thing to be decided, in order for the rest of that to be true.

5 Likes

In fairness, the cheap Chinese stuff is usually the gateway drug (for some at least). Then you’re addicted, and spending all your disposable income on here lol

5 Likes

It’s not a hobby or an addiction if you sold your car, it’s just clean, cheap (relatively) transportation. And this is only possible with “tools” that won’t break down on your way to work or grocery shopping. When you know your motors aren’t going to lock-up while you’re carrying your dog on your board.

People often discover this later on.

I’d also say that building is a hobby. One could easily hire someone else to build for them, or they can buy something off the shelf.

1 Like

I’m defo interested in a set when they’re released. Will be a nice addition to the unity foc box.

1 Like