First Look at TorqueBoards Direct Drive Motor

no, im trying to fit a bearing onto the trucks shaft.

@jbruce do you have verniers / micrometers or any way to measure the shaft properly ?

Generally with machining due to deflection it’s not uncommon to have a minor taper and if hand sanding it’s hard to get it spot on. You need to know which part of the shaft is oversize so where to sand.

If possible remove the drive off the hanger or just get a loose 608 bearing and see if you can slide it onto the shaft. You want to remove all other variables, it sounds like the ABEC adapters are a bit tight so hopefully your not sanding the axle down if the fitment issue is with the adapter

If not you could do a redneck solution if the bearing goes on partway and get a sharpie and color in the shaft, try put the bearing on, where it interferes it will likely rub off the sharpie and that is where you need to sand. Rinse and repeat until your all done.

1 Like

You can also try different bearings. Some bearings differ very slightly. One might be easier to get on than another.

its only a problem with the bearing shaft, not the wheel adapter @MasterSpoon sadly i also dont have any of those tools and the bearing currently wont slide on at all past the threads. @torqueboards ive tried 3 different bearings so far and none of them will go on past the threads

1 Like

You can put the axle on a drill with sand paper… and drill. :smile: If not, I can try and send you another shaft if you’re having too much trouble.

608 bearings are that common and have been around for that long that I would be honestly surprised if any where not 8mm +/- 0.001, they are ground finish so generally really good tolerance

If it won’t go past the thread you may have a bur at the end, if you have an engineers file carefully add a chamfer at the transition. If you only have sandpaper get a piece of wood, put the sandpaper over the edge and use that to add the chamfer. You want to avoid just sanding the whole axle if it’s just a bur at the transition

1 Like

@torqueboards that was my next idea lol, ill try it. @MasterSpoon im pretty sure thats not the issue because a bearing wont slip on for all four truck shafts.

1 Like

Sounds like maybe yours missed the sanding process

1 Like

@jbruce - Sorry sounds like I may have not sent you the modified ones on accident if all 4 don’t work. If that’s the case you just need to sand them down till they fit.

what do you mean by modified? in what way?

:smile: so might have missed the sanding process on yours and we might have missed the testing because you were going to use ABEC.

@torqueboards what is the thread length on these ?

Thinking pretty much all cordless drills will have a big enough chuck diameter wise to take these axles, if the thread section was short enough could just pop one end in the cordless drill and get the axle not the thread and use the drill to carefully spin the hanger while you hold some sand paper on the axle on the other side. Still a bit barbaric but better than sitting there trying to manually sand the axles

A lathe would make it a 2 minute job, but guessing since jbruce doesn’t have any measuring tools guessing doesn’t have a lathe either :stuck_out_tongue: Edit, lathe would only be to hold and spin the hanger, if taking 0.03mm off then would still stick to sandpaper

2 Likes

Yeah cordless drill will work. Just take the axle off the hanger and fit it into the chuck. Apply pressure on the shaft part not the thread… then drill and then test fit into the bearings. Shouldn’t take too long. That’s how we did it.

yeah ive been doing that for 20 mins or so but its really not making that much progress.

maybe your sand paper grit is too small and/or you have no more grit on the sand paper? I’ll check on Monday and try and send you some axles if you aren’t able to get it fixed by then.

1 Like

ok thank you, ill keep trying this in the meantime maybe with different sandpaper. Is axle the whole truck minus the motors? because if so i’m only able to get one motor off so im not sure how i would replace the axle.

Some are a tight fit. You can just take a rubber mallet and knock it on the back side of the motor where it says the KV and the motor will come off :smile: I would just be sending you 4x Axles.

These are sold out now right? How big of a batch are you doing next?

Cool did you guys go with removable axles, kinda like surfrodz?

I have to say, bro, I’m a big fan of the way you’re handling this.

6 Likes