First Look at TorqueBoards Direct Drive Motor

I just punched in 1:1 gear values trying to make sense of it all. Figured I was way off the mark. Comprehension is a bit lacking with all the other values in the mix.

Still learning bit by bit.

1 Like

Get with @Lunasi, sheā€™s been riding them for a while, 75kv 12s if Iā€™m not mistaken. Need to try these beasts myself!

2 Likes

Keep in mind that since direct drive is more efficient than, say, a belt drive, you should bump the efficiency in the calculator a bit higher :wink:

12S4P we seem to get about 25-30 mile range typically.

7 Likes

Depends on your definition of efficiency. Per volt, a belt drive motor will produce more torque than a direct drive. Not that I like belt drive. Just that by putting a higher kv motor under gear reduction, you can achieve more torque per volt. I would assume based on that, a belt drive would get better efficiency.

2 Likes

Per amp ffgfdcv

1 Like

+1

you donā€™t want to know how many miles Iā€™m getting with 12s5p on the raptors. Efficiency in hilly SF is terrible.

2 Likes

Oh but i do. Ill ssk ya in person if i can ever make it to some dang group ridesā€¦

I was doing about 20 miles on my 12s4p with a belt setup before, Iā€™m getting roughly the same on the direct drive, if not a bit more. I find that you use a bit less energy than a belt drive, the 1:1 gear ratio means you get a really true roll like on a regular longboard. If you let go of your remote you donā€™t feel yourself lose speed like on a belt drive, the extra tension in the belt drive actually costs more energy. Iā€™d reckon I can get a few extra miles on the directs versus my belts, but Iā€™d say they pretty closely compete.

FYI: Iā€™m a fast rider so a slower rider would probably get more range than me

Oh and for the 35mph Dexter mentioned, keep in mind thatā€™s based on the current beta motors which are wound as 6355ā€™s when the final product will be wound for 6374. You might be able to get a bit more speed on the final product IMO than the current beta drives. Iā€™m running on torqueboards vescs, torqueboards 12s4p 30q, sensorless, BLDC.

13 Likes

Sweet. Thanks for the explanation, makes a bit more sense. Great to hear the range is pretty good also.

Any difference to running these in FOC vs BLDC?

I hadnā€™t had a chance to run them in FOC but @skatardude10 will probably run them like that when I give them to him to test, sure heā€™ll give you feedback on it.

3 Likes

Coasting drag will be better on hubs. obv. However ,theyā€™ll have greater losses uphill and on quickstarts. Havnā€™t done the math but Iā€™d say it depends on where youā€™re rididing regarding total efficiency.

I would say that coasting depends more on the motor magnet-rating and size. My 5055s coast better (HTD3 belt with idler) than one single small hub motor I got.

Iā€™d say that either your beltdrive is super good or that hubmotor is super shite then xD

could be ;), I got 2 different 70mm hubmotors (the one form maytech coasts better, but its not perfect). I still think that magnets play a big difference, I mean, both are still PMSM outrunner motorsā€¦

Sure, there are many variables. The fair comparision would be if the size of the motors were atleast similiar and 5055 hubs wouldnā€™t be very viable in the real world. But if you had a pair, theyā€™d prob coast better then the belt setup

yeah, sure, the belt stil adds some drag, even with an idler and aligned correctly

I want to know how many mile you get with your 12s5P!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Still one month to wait :frowning: I canā€™t anymore, ha ha

2 Likes

@Lunasi has been running these in FOC for a little bit, short answer from my perspective, they sound equivalent to well tuned belt motors on FOC when running BLDC, and when running FOC on the unity, these sound like a feather in the wind. Itā€™s kind of scary! :sunglasses:

5 Likes