First Impression of 3sk8esk8 remote + Colab Deck

This is the first impression post for 3sk8esk8 remote + Colab Deck

I’ve been really happy with my MBS build (Link here: https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/mbs-dwii-first-impression/90940)

Recently the trusty nano v2 had failed. It was loosing calibration randomly mid ride which set me down the path of looking for a more reliable remote.

At the same time @topcloud who seems to know what all the expensive nice toys are pointed me to the Colab deck which is considered to be one of best analog mtb board deck out there.

And so… its time for an upgrade

3sk8ek8 remote

image image

This remote by @tomiboi is a feather based remote encased in a CNC bamboo case and could be purchased here: https://3sk8esk8.com/custom-race-remotes/

Stealing the stock photos as the photos are of my actual remote :slight_smile:

At this point this is my favorite remote.

The Good:

• The fit is perfect for my hands. Those with big hands might find it slightly small but for me its perfect AND it doesn’t look like a dong or a gun :smiley:
  • The thumb throttle is big and comfortable and I didn’t have any trouble using it even through light gloves so it should be good for winter riding as well.
  • The screen is bright enough. I haven’t had any issues with seeing it in the sunlight.
  • The fit and finish is high quality DIY. It doesn’t fill brittle but there are small quirks like the trigger button not being centered that gives the DIY nature of the remote away.
  • Folks seem to have reported having issues with cut out with the original feather remote. I have been using it as my daily commute in the city of Boston and have had no issues with it yet. (knock on wood)
  • Set up with unity was breeze
  • Untested by me personally but you seem to be able to pair with multiple boards so you can potentially have 1 remote that works with a couple board.

The Not so Good:

• Expensive! For a remote this is definitely not cheap but assuming you can pair with multiple boards, the cost goes down for those who’s got a garage of boards.
  • Telemetrics does take up an UART port
  • I was encountering some PPM noise in the form of quick spikes during calibration. It has not had any impact during rides but it does make calibration trickier.

Do I recommend?: It depends. This isn’t the top of my list a run of the mill build. I would consider this a luxury item. If ESK8 was your biggest passion and hobby and you have enough cash flowing around I would def recommend picking on up.

Colab

Colab is consider one of the best decks for mountainboard. I have swapped from trampa to MBS not long ago and the decks really makes a huge difference. When I heard there were going to be a few that was going to be floated to the public I jumped on it and snagged one.

Not surprisingly this is now my favorite deck.

The Good

• Very comfortable deck, its wide and almost flat where your foot goes with very little camber
  • Very steerable. The deck is concaved making this a very steerable deck potentially ridable without bindings
  • Flex. The flex is just right, no wobbles but enough to soak up vibration.
  • Its got a nose! I love the DWII but one of the thing that annoyed me was the lack of long nose which ment the deck will hit the motor mounts when you are going full tilt. Colab have no clearance issue with mounts and lights!

The not so Good

• Expensive. Very expensive
  • Rare. hard to find
  • Not the prettiest looking deck. I might regrip it but to me its not the prettiest looking deck out there.

Comparing to others

• Price - DWII > HolyPro > Colab
  • Comfort - Colab > DWII > HolyPro
  • Steerability - Colab > DWII > HolyPro
  • Aesthetics - HolyPro > Colab > DWII

Do I recommend?

For the best bang for the buck go with @MBS. They really have the best balance with price x performance. If you want the best out there and you like riding with bindings. Colab would be a strong choice. I have a Haero deck on order as well that I feel may be able to give colab the run for its money :slight_smile: Until then, Colab is king in my quiver.

9 Likes

I dig the looks of the deck. Im dying to start a street mtb hybrid build. Definitely one of the decks on my wish list. Price is hard to swallow tho.

1 Like

I’m honored to have my remote on such an incredible build :slightly_smiling_face: Also, thank you for a nice and very credible review. I hope the remote serves you well for many boards to come.

With thick gloves the remote works better than anything that I’ve ridden with, but it certainly isn’t perfect. A remote with a bigger thumbwheel and stiffer spring would probably work better. Both of those options are available from the company that I get my controls through. Imma play with that this winter.

Is the Colab deck fiberglass reinforced?

2 Likes

Yes. If you hold up the deck you can see a transparent layer. Its actually very visually interesting

Wood/fiberglass composite is the way to go with eboards as far as I’m concerned. Lighter, stronger, safer. Also, It makes for a board with snappy, energetic flex that stiffens the faster you go. Not to mention that it makes the woodgrain look 3D. That’s a sick deck. I can see why it cost so much. Glassing a deck is expensive, labor-intensive and it requires a high level of skill to get refined results.

You can see from the shot the logo is slightly floating image

2 Likes

That remote goes great with the Colab.

2 Likes