First Impression Kaly.NYC 2.0

First… Some Eye Candies :slight_smile: image image image

This is a first impression of the newly in market Kaly.NYC 2.0 I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to try out the new Kaly.NYC 2.0 last week. I got to take the board out for a short 15 min ride during super sketchy condition. How sketchy? At night, dim lighting, just around freezing, wet with snow and ice. Needless to say I wasn’t able to really push the board in anyways but I did have a chance to get a good feel of what it would be like as a cruiser

Special thanks to @Kaly and @Nanorider for giving me an opportunity for the test ride I am not affiliated with @kaly in anyways although I do own the last gen Kaly Carver XL.

Tester I rode on was equipped with a stiff deck with cruising concave. Helical Geardrive 1:4 12s 190kv

General build Quality: This should come at no surprise here. The build quality is superb. Everything fits tightly together and the components that you can see and touch all scream quality. The trucks have a very nice matt black finish that I would definitely choose over trampa. The wiring are all well thought of.

One tiny thing that I noticed was the squeaky springs but this should go away once its broken in or an easy fix with some wax.

The Deck This was what surprised me the most. Trampa decks tbh are great with bindings but pretty difficult to ride without due to the nature of channel trucks and the lack of concave. I wasn’t expecting some flaps to make a big difference, boy was I wrong. The cruising concave deck was very comfortable to ride on and the flaps locks your foot in. Even at low speed I found myself able to tilt and apply significant leverage for tight turns without feeling like I was going to fall off. The deck inspires confidence, was easy to control and very comfortable.

The Drive The drives were well finished. Because its helical gears they were softer than straight cuts but definitely still louder than belts. The whole drive is extremely responsive. Acceleration and braking comes predictably without lag. The free roll was also significantly better than belt + idler that I am used to which should translate into better mileage. Within the short time I spent with the system it felt very well executed. BUT and this more of a personal preference of gear vs belt, the instant respond you get with the throttle actually made the ride a little too harsh for me and I found myself having to really watch the throttle at the risk of being thrown off. I am sure if I had the opportunity to play with the throttle curve on the vesc it would help smooth out alot of the issue but my experience with the demo have actually dampen my desire to go gear and stick to a good belt idler system.

The Experience I had tons of fun at the short test ride. The board with its softer springs and concave made it super carvable. Despite the less then perfect consideration and the inability to really push the board I still left with a big smile on my face. To me that says alot about the board and I can’t wait to try it again on better weather.

Closing Notes If Kaly 2.0 is as reliable as the excellent Kaly 1.0 (My review here: https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/kaly-nyc-xl-carver-1-month-review/48150) and theres no reason not to believe it won’t, this board is a great buy. Personally I am very interested in the deck and would love to see if a deck upgrade option would be available for the 1.0 owners.

15 Likes

A positive 15 minute ride review :grimacing:. That’s a winner n my book :+1:t3:

3 Likes

Not sure if you are sarcastic or actually mean it lol… I would strictly consider this a first impression and not a full review

4 Likes

I’d like to hear those helical drives

3 Likes

And yes. You’re correct. Please forgive me for using the word review!! first impression is where is at! Ernesto doesn’t mess around with his product and build quality His boards are built like a tank “in a positive way of course”. Can’t wait to check one out in person :ok_hand:t3:

3 Likes

FIY it was cruising concave… racing is the one with yellow tires

the motors makes more noise than the gear drive but I can send you maybe short video via email… you can hear difference between the old one and new one… old you heard the gear new one just the motors… if you have more quite motor it would be super quiet

How did you find the overall weight of the kaly ?

Its not a light board but the weight is pretty well distributed. The weight help hold the board to the ground and the concave helps to some degree with the “laggy” respond when steering heavier boards. Compared to my DIY Trampa with bindings and lipos though it does feel more sluggish but not to a degree that bothered me. Its a tradeoff of weight vs range.

1 Like

Fixed thanks!