First Build With No Idea What I'm Doing

I’m new to electric boards, but not skateboarding in general. I think like a lot of us, I first saw an electric board in a Casey Neistat video and I fell in love. I’m a college student so I’m really looking to use an e-board as a form of transportation, so distance is really important to me. Of course, who doesn’t want to go fast either?

Ideally, I want to make a new board totally from scratch, deck and all. The only issue is I don’t have a ton of money for it all–maybe looking at a $100 budget for the deck and $350 budget for the electronics and mount? I really have no idea where to start. I have very little knowledge in electricity (how volts, amps, all that work. I’ve read a bunch of threads on it but I still get confused), but I’m not too bad at figuring out the other hardware. If you more knowledgeable thread members could give me some advice as to where to start like with parts, cheaper sites (I’m trying to avoid kits because I think I can get the parts cheaper on like Amazon, but I don’t want to buy something that isn’t compatible) that’d be greatly appreciated!

Side-note, I thought it’d be cool to paint the top deck of my board like Marty McFly’s hoverboard in BTF2. I’d also like your thoughts on that :smile:

Thanks!

1 Like

Well do a bit of reading on the pinned posts and you´ll find all components you need to build a dope board :wink: Also if you wanna do some Back to the Future stuff:

3 Likes

Glad to have you here! Back to the future inspired me too lol. I started with adept mechanical abilities, and next to zero electrical knowledge. After weeks and months of research, trial&error, I ended up with a wonderful machine that suits me in every way. You can have that too!! Here’s my advice on how to get there:

1. Use the search function before you ask a question
  2. Read the forum guidelines
  3. Always assume that if you don’t know something, someone else has started a thread about it.
  4. Your budget will be $1K+ for ANYTHING substantial and reliable

This forum is an awe inspiring wealth of information. It is best to keep it streamlined by searching for an answer before asking a question that’s been answered already. We’ve all been there, and we’re thrilled to help, but chances are someone already did!

Check out the “noob question thread” and similar articles. @onloop 's battery guide is great, and many many other threads here will answer just about any conceivable question you will ever have.

Again, welcome to the forum, we’re excited to see you develop. Best of luck, and happy hunting

2 Likes

Makes me feel old @TarzanHBK lol

2 Likes

Bargin Hunt tip:

Check the the stuff for sale in the Forum… sometimes you can snipe a good deal

2 Likes

Hey hey i was in the same boat as you about a year ago now, if you have any questions DM me and you can ask away! :smiley: