First build: loaded Icarus, dual 6355, Samsung 30Q, focbox, nano-X, TB 218mm and ABEC11

So, after various tests and messing around I do not think I can run this drop through so have committed to going top mount.

I had a look at the enclosures I got from @Eboosted today. They are made for a loaded vanguard so do not quite fit the complex curves of the Icarus

I taped some sandpaper to the underside of the deck and got rubbing the enclosures against where they will sit and after 20 mins or so…

I didn’t want to go too far as I know 10S4P is a squeeze in this enclosure. I have ordered some adhesive backed neoprene sheet to make some gaskets which should take care of the gap.

Then it was a case of drilling the enclosures and getting them attached to the deck. This was a bit scary as this is a £180 deck!!!. It went well, but I used skateboard hardware screws so I am 2 short. They have been ordered - I also need to cut these down as they are rather long.

And now it looks a bit like this

And my favourite shot

12 Likes

The build did come out clean with the enclosures. It’s a shame, you weren’t able to run drop through due to the motors.

Looks great. PS, those MBS wheels shaved down…are :heart_eyes:. I’d suggest shaving them for that good stickyness

he’s not using MBS wheels :wink:

1 Like

Rough Stuff… Either way… Shaved down they’re wide and grippy… The treads don’t lend themselves to much to road riding…but shaved make great big offset wheels for a wide stance and grip.

2 Likes

How much did this build cost?

with those trucks, and those bushings, if you ever feel like they’re kind of falling over when leaning, consider an insert bushing instead.

the insert fills an inherent gap between the kingpin and hangar. anyway, I was riding on the nipple bushings for a bit, then switched to blood orange insert barrel bushing and it’s a huge improvement.

https://www.tactics.com/blood-orange/ultra-hr-insert-barrel-longboard-bushings-1-truck/blue

3 Likes

very ingenious to sand the enclosure. what is the thickness of neoprene sheet?

Following this closely - looks amazing! I’m planning to electrify my Icarus with a similar setup.

I’ve bought some cork handle-bar tape to cover the enclosures to mimic the deck. Think I’ll try to find an artist to copy the pattern and varnish as per the stock finish…

@Deckoz yeah it is a shame I can’t run drop through. Actually quite devastated by it but had two issues. One is if you have the motors facing backwards they will touch the kick tails of the board. I thought about chopping them down but I was worried about the structural integrity of the deck as it has a load of torsional strength. As well as that I found the motors to be touching the baseplate of the truck. With the TB mounts you do not get the option of adjusting the angle from straight back to 45 degrees up due to the design.

@GrecoMan is correct, these are rough stuff wheels by a company called slick revolution based in the UK. They feel like they are going to be pretty bad as they are to be honest, maybe I will shave them. They just look really nice so they are on for now.

@Caleb1 hmm didn’t want to divulge that yet but here it is - £1107.85. That does not include the price of the deck and wheels as I already owned them. I will give the real total at the end of the build.

@thisguyhere Thanks for the tip bro, I noticed these trucks want to turn easier so may have to invest in those

@Grozniy Thanks man, aparently I have the ESC enclosure backwards but thats the way it fit best on the Icarus. I have bought 5mm but it is available on ebay up to 15mm

@Sibbo Thanks man, yeah ts looking good if I may say so myself! Thats a great idea about the cork tape, will be interested to see how it ends up.

So I took everything apart 2 days ago and drilled the board for the large wires to be inlaid in between. Now I have to hold my hands up and say I have made my first mistake, I was rushing and never drilled accurate so when I gave it to my guy to chisel out he has done one slightly at an angle :frowning: its not too bad as you won’t see it but I am annoyed with myself.

So I need to find out what the best thing to fill these channels is on a flexible deck. Anyone got any ideas?

2 Likes

Well… silicon in the silicon wire, then glass over it if you desire

1 Like

@deckoz thanks for the suggestion mate. I have been doing some research and I have found some flexible epoxy which I think will do the job just fine

So last night my 15mm pulley kit arrived from my friend @egzplicit. We bought two sets from @johnny_261 so one for me and one for him. I have to say the kit is excellent quality and I fitted it straight away.

Unfortunately the pulley is too long for the eskating.eu motor shafts so there is a bit of an overhang.

I am not worried though as there are two grub screws holding it on and I will bond them on after fitting the woodruff key.

Looks good back on the ABEC’s

Also my adhesive backed neoprene sheet (5mm) arrived so I can make the enclosure gaskets.

Next jobs are to make the gaskets, wire the channels when I get the board back on tuesday and fill them with epoxy. Then I am onto wiring up the ESC enclosure which is a bit of an issue because Enertion look like they are never going to ship the FOCBOX’s and Nano X I ordered NEARLY 6 WEEKS AGO I also need to buy some washers as I need to space the wheel out 1mm or 2 to allow for the retaining lip on the motor pulley.

So I may come to a bit on an impasse shortly unless I buy yet more ESC’s and remote and charge back my CC to Enertion. Not sure what to do yet. I do not want to do the battery until last but I have ordered the BMS from @Acido in the group buy he just made.

Also does anyone know of anyone 3D printing motor pulley covers for the TB mounts? Would be great to get some

1 Like

Looking good man

I only suggested silicon as it makes for easy removal, should you ever decide to turn the board back into an analog and restore it as the flex pattern breaks in over time.

Keep it up :slight_smile:

1 Like

Be careful with the adhesive neoprene foam, I have found it combusts pretty easily.

2 Likes

Then whats the best solution here? Yoga matress? lol

Or some pushin cushion :rofl:

2 Likes

:money_mouth_face::money_mouth_face::money_mouth_face:

I do a bevis and butthead laugh every time I see that :smiling_face:

1 Like

Ok minor update.

I have purchased 2 more focbox because of this whole Enertion cyber monday fiasco. Im really annoyed about it but I can’t hang around anymore so have had to spend out again. I will never order anything from Enertion again. Thanks to my mate @egzplicit for offering to lend me his spare remote too - legend.

I am also ordering 2 of those cool X plates from @akhlut as I want to dress the top side of the board and I am also working on a cool griptape design to tie the top in.

More coming soon.

If your temperature get as hot as open flame, wouldn’t you have much bigger problems than this foam at that point?

1 Like

That was my thoughts, if the neoprene is on fire I have bigger issues to worry about!

1 Like