First Build, Guidance Please! 12S, 149kv 6374, Street/All-Terrain hybrid

Are these correct?

1 Like

Those are the tkp which you could go with or you could go with the rpk I would not use the drop through though for the tkp. As for affordable the evolve would be more affordable as they are basically cast gullwing siderwinders and have the 8mm axel which is what most standard bearings are the surfrodz are 10mm axels and are precision trucks so they are worlds better.

1 Like

Here is the difference

Also just noticed you’re from sarasota. I have a bunch of family down there in Bradenton.

Okay, thanks for that link. Sadly, it looks like the RKP is out of stock.

Would it not be recommended to machine the torque trucks down to 10mm at the start of the axle to accommodate the evolve wheels? I have a mill and lathe and intended to replicate LHB’s process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6V4nBUFeYk&t=11s

I could still use the same bms u would just have to rewire it adding to new packs u would add in parallel

Got it, I think I’ll go with a 12s bestech d140 since the BMS seems to be the best way to do it. With that I’ll need a laptop charger and an on off switch, right?

And I how would wiring differ with a 12s2p (with the 6x 4s batteries I have ordered) versus this 10s1p?

EDIT: I just found the 12s2p diagram here, this should be the same as my setup, right?

Yep should be for the most part just remember they used 6s batteries and not 4s. Hobby king has series and parallel connectors that you will need amazon probably has them as well or you can make them if you are comfortable with doing that.

Do you mind giving this wiring diagram a look over? I know it’s not quite right. After looking at the bestech D140 here, I’m not sure I understand where in the circuit charging is supposed to take place. In the diagram Black is negative, Red is positive, and Green are the 4 wires for balancing (spliced together) from each pair of batteries in parallel. BMS%20Battery%20Wiring

Where is the charge port and the loop key way it is now you wouldnt have anything to power on or off the board and it would be a one charge board

As I said, I’m not sure where in the circuit the charge port is supposed to go, and I completely forgot about a way to turn it off. Where should these items be placed?

Well on the diagram that you had pointed to the charge port is coming off the pos lead and the P lead coming from the bms. The loop key would be on the pos lead between you battery/bms and your vesc

Okay, I think I have it (and thanks for all the help!): BMS%20Battery%20Wiring%20(1)

1 Like

Yep that looks good to me

Now I’ve acquired a pair of Flipsky VESC 6.6 controllers from another user on the forum and I’m reconfiguring some of the wiring since they have built in anti-spark and an on/off switch. I can just completely remove the loop key and route straight through like this, right?

BMS%20Battery%20Wiring%20(1)

1 Like

Not hearing the best about flipsky anti spark switch, if I was going to use one I would still have a loop key as backup

I was actually planning on using my two XT90 anti spark connectors I already bought for the loop key to connect to my VESCs anyway, so that should add another layer of protection.

I’ve just revised my schematic for the last time (hopefully) including the individual BMS wiring.

Paging @Namasaki, please give this a look over if you have a chance!

BMS

The Red balance wire is always the last cell in series, NOT the first.

Cell 1 is always next to the ground wire

In this case

Black…ground Blue…cell 1, 5, 9 Green…cell 2, 6, 10 Yellow…cell 3, 7, 11 Red…cell 4, 8, 12

4 Likes

Thank you! I was wiring last night and ended up figuring that out by reading each cell with a multimeter as I wired it up. Am I correct that when everything is wired up cell 1 on the BMS should be ~3.7v and cell 12 should be at ~44.4v (with 2-11 being the 3.7v steps in between)?

Yes, balance pin 1 should be the voltage of 1 cell and each pin from 1-12 adds the voltage of 1 cell For example

1-3v 2-6v 3-9v 4-12v Etc.

1 Like