First Build | Dual Hub Motor | Internal Planetary Gearbox | 4260 300KV | VESC

The dawning of belt drives has begun :smiling_imp:

I think this is gonna be the future of hubs if the gears stay that silent after hitting the first bumps on the street. The gearing ratio will allow to make a perfect fit to the sweet spot of the motor where efficiency is at it’s best … I’m looking forward to my VESC driven dyno (under construction).

Congrats!

1 Like

to be a planetary gearbox, shouldn’t there be 3 small gears connecting the motor gear with the wheel gear ? Atm the wheel is just spinning with the motor (1:1 ratio) or what am i missing ?

Thanks for the positive reactions However, as @XIII said the gearbox is not ready yet. So the sound is something mistreatment.

@XIII
You are right. The motor is not finished yet. I do not have the three planet gears. I will make them in the following weeks. The motor can now turn freely in the wheel but due the friction of the seal and bearings, the outside turns as well.

the front of the hub motor will look like this when finished.

8 Likes

Hello Frank!

This is Tim from STARY here, we love that you took inspiration from our design and are excited to see how you can improve on it! We are more than welcoming of supporting the DIY community because we believe that this is the future as well. One piece of advice though, the gears undergoes a high amount of stress under braking so be sure to consider that in your design/plans for the strength of the gears. A failure or shattered gear at maximum breaking under top speed would be quite dangerous so be sure to test under a safe environment! Looking foreward to seeing how your project goes after you finish final assembly, it’s really quite impressive.

Cheers, STARY Team Shanghai, China

34 Likes

So @Frank , how is everything going? Successful?

Frank, make a video of how you attach the motor to the truck

A long time since my last post. Too long but yesterday I made the last gears for the planetary gearbox. What I can see and test it looks promising. The gears turn freely with in the assembly and no strange things.

Just 1 part to test the full assembly :grinning:

@STARY thanks. Yea I saw that your boards had also a planetary gearbox, very nice. I am one part left to a fully assembly so the end is in sight.

@BoostedBuilder i am very busy with other projects (also building a cnc milling machine) so it takes time, more than I like.

@IsTalo i will but it is nothing special. It is just a thread connection. 1 the right and 1 with left thread.

18 Likes

Can’t wait to see these things in action!

me too. But the end is in sight. Just 1 cnc part left :sunglasses: (and the truck)

1 Like

I remember that Stary board appart from being the worst electric skateboard that ever existed they had a pretty good idea with planetary gears becuse like that HUBS can provide huge amount of torque. Can’t wait to see your build finished !

I do not know much about the STARY board only read about the noise if I am correct.

The idea with planetary is great but the built is so much work. I would say almost a no go for us DIY builders. I started more than a half year ago and still busy with the first wheel. However, hopefully it will be worth it, we will see.

If someone is wondering how much I spent in this built I did a calculation and the total built cost will be round the 850 euro.

2 Likes

We are going fast. Last week I made the last hub for the second motor. The gear and the outer ring I made with the EDM machine after that it was the lathe.

On the lathe.

second hub almost finished.

This was the last difficult and most time-consuming part left so the finish line is in side. After that the next project starts. Building a batterypack.

As last I test printed the last part to see if it would fit and it does. Next week I will cnc the part 2 times.

29 Likes

This build is looking so sweet! Cant Wait to see How i performs

@Frank, you are doing very nice job man! Looking forward to see it in action. So far it seems to be the only way to make small hub motors efficient and use smaller diameter wheels. You need all parts to be top quality though, to make it also practically good.

3 Likes

this looks so well built…cat wait see it mounted to a board and haulin ass

Wheres the latest update?!? Can’t wait to see it in action

2 Likes

Thanks

@fliess Yes, you are right. My luck is that I can make everything myself + i did the designing. So almost every part that is important I can make in one go. The other parts (only the hub I think) I made within a clamp error of 0.02mm so I think that is enough.

@PXSS haha i cant wait either. :smile:

Not that much. 1 made the second hub so now i have 2 complete motor assemblages missing both 1 part. Hopefully i can make them next week.

6 Likes

No words :heart_eyes:

19 Likes

Dang mate! That looks so freakin awesome

2 Likes

Beautiful!

2 Likes