First Build- An Attempt at Performance on a Budget

UPDATE: The motor motor mount, which is held onto the truck using three screws with point to dig into the aluminium, don’t seem to be a great solution. I have ridden this setup for about four months straight almost daily, but now the motor mount is coming loose and is rotating around the truck. I don’t have the time right now but I am planning on drilling three holes into truck at the position of the screws, and I will get longer screws so that they go down into the holes in the truck. This should be a permanent and solid solution, although drilling the holes at the correct locations and angles will likely prove to be difficult. I will keep this thread updated if there is interest.

1 Like

Yeah same thing happened and I stuffed up the hole alignment by a few mm so now the belt rubs on the wheel a bit

Did you end up using that ebay transmitter/receiver that you linked? What is it’s behavior when it loses signal or loses power (can test by flipping the board upside-down and removing the battery or walking to another room)? How do you like it?

I’m looking for an alternative to the Nyko Kama which doesn’t have a fail-safe if it loses power- it just keeps doing exactly what it was doing when it had connection. Thanks!

1 Like

I’m certainly interested. Keep us updated! :slight_smile:

1 Like

No, I did not end up using the linked remote. I decided to change to one that was smaller and would fit in my pocket easily. The one I am using I will link below. It is good and has never lost connection with the board while i’m riding it although in the city (probably due to interference) if I do not touch the throttle on the remote at all for about 30 seconds, the motor begins to ‘twitch’ a little bit but nothing more. Also, if the board is plugged in and the transmitter is turned off, instead of staying neutral or braking, the board goes full throttle which is a little scary. However, I have had no problems with the transmitter or receiver and I ddo think it is a better alternative to many of the options currently out there.

1 Like

You need to set the failsafe on your VESC so that if the controller disconnects you don’t accelerate at full throttle. Read this thread: http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/board-got-stuck-on-full-throttle-with-no-brakes-what-could-cause-this-related-story-slid-my-e-skate-for-the-first-time/26314

Hello, i am building my first build. here are the parts: turningy aerodrive sk3 6374 149kv 3 zippy 5000mah 3s 45c batteries xcar beast 120amp esc 2.4ghz remote i have all the connectors and mounts/pullys How fast should i go and how far will i go?

oh it is also in series

i cried after read the first paragraph of the first post.

1 Like

You could pick up one of my mounts :wink: http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/new-circular-truck-motor-mount-survey-posted/33609/28

That will not work. An Xcar beast esc can only handle 6s not 9s

1 Like

oh sorry i meant 2 of them lol

Ahhh ok looks fine. You will not go very fast at all probably around 20kmh. If you haven’t bought the parts yet I would suggest the 245kv motor from HobbyKing as it will increase your speed to around 35km/h and it is also cheaper

ok i have changed plans 6347 192kv, 2 6s 5000mah lipo battery, Talon 120a 12s esc, 90mm wheels, 12t motor pulley/36t wheel pulley how fast and is the range on this board will be?

http://calc.esk8.it/#{“batt-type-lipo”:1,“batt-cells”:12,“motor-kv”:192,“system-efficiency”:85,“motor-pulley-teeth”:12,“wheel-pulley-teeth”:36,“wheel-size”:90}|

what is the range?

Depends on your riding style and environment

just the normal flat ground with an average a bout like 15mph

Should be very roughly 22km, using this super approximate calculation:

12S = 44.4v (using nominal cell voltages) 5000mAh = 5Ah 44.4 * 5 = 222KWh (kilowatt-hours) 222 / 10 = 22.2km

You could get a lot more, could get a lot less.

Thank you! ordering parts today😁

1 Like