First Build ADVICE / HELP would be appreciated :D

Hi everyone ! So this is gonna be my very first build, I’ve had this idea for a few years now but I bought a complete on a black friday and after two years with it I think it’s time to get serious.

Basically I want something better than what I have which is : 30-35 km/h top speed 12-15 km range

I did a lot of research, what I can say is that I dont’ want the best of the best in terms of innovation. I want something that works and that looks nice, but without spending more than 1300 euros. if it’s less, it’s even better !

What I know I want :

DECK : Landyatchz EVO 40" falcon

WHEELS : 107mm ABEC 11 (already got this)

TRUCKS : 218mm TB or Caliber II

BATTERY : want to build a 12S4P or 12S5P pack from Samsung 30Q

BMS : NEED HELP (a lot of help)

ESC : I’m thinking about getting the FOCBOC unity but I don’t really know if it’s any better than 2ESC’s from Torqueboards

MOTORS : I want 2 motors, because where I live is not flat at all and my actual e-board makes me want way more torque. Plus I weigh approx 90 kg so not really the lightest rider out there. I’m looking to take a lot of parts from eskating.eu and I don’t really know if 2 6355 are enough or if I’ll be better using 2 6374.

If anyone has used 107mm on the landyatchz evo with some 180 mm trucks I’d be curious if those people had wheelbite issues… I only saw people using the 218mm trucks

Thank you for reading ! :smiley:

EDIT : link to google sheet

DECK : Landyatchz EVO 40" falcon - Cant go wrong here - Ask @bigben if he has an enclosure that fits.

WHEELS : 107mm ABEC 11 (already got this) - Cant go wrong here but consider TB110’s as well, core is better in my opinion.

TRUCKS : 218mm TB or Caliber II - Get TB218’s or better yet Surf Rodz, RKP best for Evo

BATTERY : want to build a 12S4P or 12S5P pack from Samsung 30Q - If you need help with BMS I would suggest getting the battery built by a professional.

BMS : NEED HELP (a lot of help) - as above

ESC : I’m thinking about getting the FOCBOC unity but I don’t really know if it’s any better than 2ESC’s from Torqueboards - Get the unity, it’s easier for a first time builder and has treated many people very well, including myself x 2

MOTORS : I want 2 motors, because where I live is not flat at all and my actual e-board makes me want way more torque. Plus I weigh approx 90 kg so not really the lightest rider out there. I’m looking to take a lot of parts from eskating.eu and I don’t really know if 2 6355 are enough or if I’ll be better using 2 6374. - Not much difference between 6355 and 6374 aside from 74’s will not get as hot when you push them. Esakting use maytech motors, can’t really go wrong there but perhaps consider other stores in general because their lead times are insane at times.

If anyone has used 107mm on the landyatchz evo with some 180 mm trucks I’d be curious if those people had wheelbite issues… I only saw people using the 218mm trucks - It’s not advisable to use narrow trucks in general on a big ol deck. Just created unnecessary fitment issues. That’s my 2c.

Aside from all of that you need to consider pulleys, drivetrain in general and others. Looks like you’ve done some reading which is good.

For the battery, unless you plan to build like 4 - 6 batteries you’re better off buying one. @pjotr47 can help I’m sure. Cost of materials, spot welder, mistakes and all the rest are simply not worth it for one or two batteries. Unless of course you’re dead set on learning… then burn some cells my friend, go wild!

8 Likes

Thanks for the fast answer !

I know @bigben has one so i’ll see about this in the future I know but not really willing to spend an additionnal 80 euros for a set of wheels that I already have :confused:

Damn the RKP trucks look good but the price is reeeeeally too high for me

Any idea of how much it would cost to get a battery built ?

that’s what I was thinking, plus it’s on sale right now but don’t if I’ll have the money to take it now

well in europe I saw they had low prices so that’s what matters to me (and quality of course)

Think I’ll stick to the 218 mm trucks and get the 6374 cause they will fit

Pulleys : was thinking to use 16t motor and 40t drivetrain to get lots of torque and not going more than 50km/h (it’s scary lol)

Well depending on @pjotr47 and the price to build a battery I’ll see, but learning isn’t really a problem (money is one though so I might consider getting a complete battery built xD )

You can choose two options here:

Quality or compromise - If you buy cheap you buy twice eventually. It sounds like you’re building a board to ride and enjoy, not an experiment or beater.

I was talking about enclosures for Ben, not wheels. I get what you’re saying though on 107 vs 110, 107’s are fine if you already have them, they are great in fact.

Look for maytech 6374 motors, sealed or unsealed. You can get them from many sources, including directly from Maytech via their store, email or their aliexpress shop.

Ben’s enclosures are cheap as hell (too cheap for the effort he puts in). I’d consider buying a second hand Evo 39" however, they are floating around and amazing decks for half the price of the new 40 falcon. As a matter of fact, I think Ben has a second hand 39" with enclosure for sale right now, perhaps ask?

If you are going to use TB218’s I’d get mounts from woosh, (search here) or boardnamics - both inexpensive and work well.

15/40 is a common 107 gear ratio. Steel motor gear, allu pulley gear.

Do yourself a favour and search for Evo builds, bookmark them all, read them all 20 times. Especially @Deckoz master evo and all the clones that came off that (inlcuding my own :smiley: ) - they made all the mistakes and worked out all the hard stuff for you.

6 Likes

Yeah you got it exactly right

Yeah I understood about the enclosures I messed up when writing sorry x)

I was thinking about getting the sealed ones so I don’t have to worry about rain and water (saw them on eskating.eu on sale) I’ll check on maytech’s shop anyway

Oh damn well if he has one I’m definitely interested, @bigben is that true ??

Oh that might be interesting because the ones from TB are very expensive. how do i look for these ? ^^

What do you think about this one ? people say that because it’s not metal it makes less noise, but what do I know ^^

Yes that’s what I’m trying to do, I’ve read already few of them but I tought that it was time to open a thread about my build because I had problems to find specific answers on the forum

go for metal pulleys

2 Likes

DD03E48C-A41B-4923-BD48-E1B5064FC602 6DFC73AA-15E4-4A63-BEC7-48329AF2B8BA IMG_3237 This the one I currently make.

2 Likes

@moon any brand recommendation ?

@bigben Looks dope, what battery can you put into this ? and I see you’re using risers, what are these ? I mean size and angle, please :smiley: I should have 2 hard plastic risers lying around somewhere lol

EDIT : I saw gear drive was a thing, is it really better ? and is it expensive ? I don’t know anything about this. @Deckoz If you have time to help a newbie :smiley:

I had a 10s5p with big BMS in it.

2 Likes

thanks ! so what about those risers please :slight_smile:

Start with belts!

1 Like

12mm no angle rubber risers.

1 Like

Also, while we’re on the topic. Gears are still relatively new, hardly commercially available right now and will take time to perfect as a consumer item.

You can either jump on the beta bandwagon or wait for perfection. Depends on what you’re after here.

2 Likes

Ok thanks for the advice ! But now how do i choose the belt lenght and width ?

Hi everyone !

So I got some time and I made a little Google sheet so that’s it’s way easier to me (and all of you if it might help me or others) to see what I’m gonna do and the costs (which is a very important matter) :

I tried to be as clear and complete as possible so if you feel like something is missing please tell me !

I’ll try to get the deck, motors and pulleys as soon as possible while they’re on sale so I get the free shipping from eskating.eu. Plus that way I’ll be able to get the measures from the board and I’ll try it with the wheels and some trucks I got.

@bigben Could you give a price range for the enclosure ? :smiley: (and shipping to France). Plus I wanted to know what do you use to fix the enclosure to the deck because it looks nice ! :slight_smile: Btw, can i put a big vinyl sticker on the enclosure ? I mean will it actually stick to it ? heard something about it but can’t remember or find where I saw it.

@Sender Hi ! I wanted to ask you about what you did on Hummie’s deck with fabric and epoxy (I think) and glass frit, is it hard to do ? I heard things about the grip peeling off on the Evo so I’m considering to do the same thing. So if you were good with sharing your technique it would be really nice :smiley: (I didn’t see a thread about it but maybe I’m wrong)

I never mind sharing! But it isn’t the easiest process to do well, and minimum material costs are quite high to get the good stuff. To DIY you are looking at least $120 in materials or more. That’s not the real issue, it is the learning curve.

It is a ton of easy steps that needs to be done meticulously and timed right otherwise the end product will suffer greatly

3 Likes

Thanks for the fast answer ! By materials, are you counting the tools ? because i might have the tools required for this.

Even if it’s a hard process I might give it a try depending on time i have and cost.

1 Like

Correct me if I’m wrong Tim but the tools are simply 600 brushes, big ol guns on your arms and nerves of steel. The materials are what will get you.

I’d suggest not thinking too far ahead buddy. Get the board rolling, it’s currently gripped

2 Likes

No not tools. The minimum amount of epoxy you can get (the good stuff) is like $75 or more without shipping. Then whatever fabric.

You probably have the other stuff. Chip brushes, painters tape, heat gun, razor knife, various grit sand paper, and TIME

I agree, focus on getting the board up and running. This is all looks really unless you are a heavy dude and need the reinforcement.

Unless you are stuck waiting on parts

1 Like