FatBoy Mini Urethane Gear Drive 1:(2.8, 2.6, 2.4)

Are these 1 piece axles?

Nope 2 piece :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks bro :slight_smile:

could you provide a pic with the axles next to the hangar for reference please?

Gear drive on a Ronin baseplate would be amazing! Although I assume it would increase the cost of the hangers since they would need a queen pin hole.

For reference Ronin precision baseplates are $75 each and there are a bunch of angle options available, even though they aren’t listed on the website.

As soon as you can make these as quiet as the E-Toxx helical gears, I’m in :slight_smile:

Ronin hanger would require at least 20 people to collect to make it happen.

Regarding helical gears like I said 100x times apart lower noise there are not any more pros but only many cons that it’s not worth it spend time and money on them. Many people have talked about minuses of helical gears and we are definitely not going to make them. Simple spur gears are bullet proof without any much issues, easy to setup, and doesn’t cost arm and leg to make them.

Regarding noise, as many people tried to explain that gears are really hard to compare noise on camera as they have noise in different octave so audio recorders can’t pick it up correctly. Best is to observe in person. As many of you already saw @Deckoz riding his Master Evo its not much different from belt setup. That gear drive was first prototype, the latest one which everyone will get in group buy and in other versions like 1:3 for TB218 with newest gear profile is completely different. It removes gear clapping noise, reduces overall noise and just leaves unified gear sound I can’t even describe it but it’s much more silent compared to previous one. You can watch comparison video between first prototype and end version several post up in this topic.

4 Likes

I read your answer to why not do helical gears on the previous thread. I’m perfectly fine with all the downsides of helical gears. The most important thing is to get the tolerances perfect so that they are quiet and last as long as possible.

The E-toxx video of their helical gears is almost dead silent, about the same as direct drive and hub motors. Microphones pick up all frequencies heard by the human ear. Of course there will be a difference in resonance recording inside vs. outside but there is definitely a huge difference in sound between @Deckoz video and the E-toxx video I posted.

1 Like

Any news on the production?

First batch aluminum parts were sent to anodization. It can take from 1-2 weeks afterwards some other stuff should be made and will be ready.

2 Likes

Is the SR base plate compatible hangars pushing through? I’d love to get in on that!

1 Like

There were only several people interested we need at least 20 people to make it happen :wink:

2 Likes

Count me in! How many more are we short to get the ball rolling on these?

So far you are first who really wants it :wink:

1 Like

Damn I thought there were a bunch of others who wanted in on these too :pensive: do I start a Google Form on a separate thread to get more in on it?

1 Like

If you want you can do it :wink:

EDIT: Also add option for which truck type would people want as there several options…

1 Like

@kug3lis making me work for it :laughing: Alright I’ll see if I can put it together once I get home tonight.

1 Like

I’m interest in SR as well. @Kug3lis can you tell me the outside wheel to outside wheel measurement using your FB230?

1 Like

Let’s make it happen :wink:

2 Likes

Some final assembly and check ups before shipping first units out :wink:

Mounting on our prototype pre-built board which will be soon available :wink:

5 Likes

Are the non-POM wheel pulleys going to be exclusive for the urethane version? I like how compact the drive train looks!