FatBoy Mini Drive Train 1:3

Ok I think I took a joke bit too far :smiley: That square is not if finished mounting hub for hanger on which base plate mounts :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Shouldnt round be more durable?

Nah i think triangle is the way to go

2 Likes

Could you explain why?

Since when you use a round shape there are always the same number of tooths transfering the force, and on squares and triangles there are a lot less on a certain point of rotation That is resulting more wear on the certain tooths This is acceptable if they are made out of some high quality hardened steel But my guess that these are made out of aluminum So as the number of sides increase the tooth number that are transfering the force increases And you cant get the number any higher than with a round gear

Im no means an expert on these things im just using my logic :smiley: which to me seems that it makes sense Simmilar reason why there are no square or triangle pistons used in engines

1 Like

lol dude the last 15 or so posts in here have been jokes :rofl:

3 Likes

No they weren’t. :joy::joy:

2 Likes

I truly had no idea :joy: I have seen a lot of people here trying to make super wierd stuff so…

1 Like

4 Likes

Sure it is. You just need an intermediate gear/idler gear to keep the motor center to wheel center distance.

13mm is not alot… I suggest going smaller with like a 14 pitch, 8 tooth motor spur, 8 tooth idler, and 24 tooth wheel gear. So you can keep the center to center distance so the motors don’t hit the trucks…

put that in your pipe and smoke it @Duffman

1 Like

Then the price will not be user friendly…

Why not? Making duplicate 8 tooth gears (motor and idler) could be the same, and smaller housing should save some material cost… 8:8:24 is 1:3 the most voted reduction… The only addition I see is a extra 8 tooth gear, a short shaft, and two bearings… so the idler can spin freely, mean while the stock width for cutting the housing will be smaller…

Just an idea…if you were talking about cutting different teeth idlers…yea… but just duplicating the same cam program for double the tiny gears… I don’t see how it could be that much of a price increase…and the shaft for most motors is 8mm… as are skate axles… so skate bearings for the idler…

Either way it was just an idea so you can get more clearance… Since running the cam for more of the same part is cheaper then running it for a different cut…

2 Likes

Then you will need another side of plate to support the idler gear, now it’s only motor gear is supported on motor bearings and wheel gear on axle. So you basically changing whole design, which almost doubles everything.

Plus even if you go to 24 tooth gear not much clearance you will get… From 36 down to 24 is like Iess than 1cm…

Also then you will need to support both sides of gearbox on the hanger which will minimize motor length availability…

I don’t really see a point of getting less than 1cm clearance for so many cons…

1 Like

Since you’re talking about redesigning the gear box, what about supporting different gear ratios in a single housing? Maybe something that can change gears automatically depending on the RPM and the load. :thinking:

1 Like

You’d be surprised…

My potato has 13 mm of clearance to the motor mounts too. It hit rocks and almost eat it all the time… 23mm is a rare occasion. I was just trying to give you ideas, as 13 is scary low…

4 Likes

I know that… We can lower the size of tooth then it will not hold the torque. Also the smaller diameter of wheel gear will make problem of mounting wheel hub to it. As it need to slid over hanger…

2 Likes

Some more progress today

10 Likes

Can’t wait to try this :smiley:

1 Like

Looks good! Possible to make these mounts adjustable in angle? Some of us may want to split-angle our trucks.

Also, what’s the ratio?

1 Like

Yes, there will pre-drilled holes to drill through for different angles.

Gear ratios will available to choose then buying 1:3, 1:2.8, 1:2.6, 1:2.4

5 Likes