Exway X1 Pro (version 2?)

Yeah I agree I ride mine hard and fast and get at most 5 miles, I’d be surprised if this gets 10 miles, likely 9 miles

2 Likes

Two words: street plates

download%20(14)

When you’re going 25mph (40 km/h) and you see this come out from under the car in front of you:

1408370933plate

If you’re on anything less than 107mm, you are Royally Fucked.

17 Likes

I guess its only USA thing. I also prefer smaller wheels :man_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

Totally understand but then I would go for pneumatic. I only ride fast on street that I to everyday and I know very well. Even I 106l7 wheels if I found a big un aspect hole I lose stability. As I said 107mm wheels yes of I would have a drop down deck that allows me to stay close to the ground. I now switch back to 90mm that it still rather big, but 97mm on my small commuter where just not right. I felt like riding on eggs. I hope the clearance with my direct drive is enough. We’ll see it.

Ps: Never found this metal plate here.

1 Like

LoL me too but these appear every day in random spots :rofl:

They dig something up and don’t get done before 17:00 so they put a plate on it and go home. Then tomorrow they bury it…

6 Likes

I see that is quite scary!

Drumroll to belt drive option

@b264 I retract what I said, I was home in Spain and I saw 5! of these plates. They laid them down with a 45deg angle, super scary passing over them at 40-50kmh with my road bike.

(In germany I yet have to see one though)

2 Likes

I hope they won’t reach here. @jasonbhuynh posted a video of him suddenly losing control when hit one of those. This thing are super scary! They should make 5hek with a kind of rubber surface to do not compromise the grip. I unders5and they do not think about Esk8, but I am sure bike will also have problem with it.

2 Likes

If it’s raining, those things are essentially like a sheet of ice. That’s after the sharp 25mm steel edge.

5 Likes

They are super rare around here in germany, you can however see them sometimes on the sidewalks as a semipermanent solution. They did it near my workplace when they reconstruct the street from 2 to 6 lanes (right next to a DSLAM). Maybe these plates are illegal on the actual street in germany. Around here the typical reaction is to close off the lane and maybe place a construction traffic light. But also often they simply close the street till they can temporary bury it.

1 Like

The paths in my area can be even worse than that. However I have found a solution that works without any purchasing - it only requires skill.

Loosen your trucks, you want to make your trucks as loose as possible so that if you’re not moving and you try to turn as hard as you can and lean back a little one of your front tires will lift. Using this you want to try and to a sharp turn maneuver right as your hitting the raised part so that the wheel is already raised up. Since your trucks are so loose and you’re taking the hit at an angle your trucks will then act as suspension. You then obviously need to rapidly turn back to stay in a straight line.

Drawbacks. If you don’t have good balance your gonna fall off. If you’re not good at handling speed wobbles your gonna fall off. But once you have gotten used to your board you can try this method. My exway is the only longboard I have ever used and I was able to use this method after only reaching 300km (now up to over 500) (also I did gymnastics as a kid so I have a greater than average balance)

1 Like

I can make my front wheels lift way easier than that. The issue is a lot of times I’m carrying my laptop and my dog or maybe a bunch of groceries and it’s unexpected when you’ll suddenly find one. I’ve found that the best method is to hit them at 45 degrees … with 107mm or bigger wheels…

Carrying a dog while riding… What a mad man. I definitely know what your talking about. I am 50kg, and one of my bigger shops my bad weighed 12kg and I was very scare of those sort of bumps. Also I do have street plates, but normally they slap some tar around it to smooth the edges - my problems is the fact that the slates of the footpath aren’t aligned and sometimes there is a literal 6cm difference

1 Like

Exactly what happened to me. I fell, dislocated my pinky and now it doesn’t open all the way. It was actually way worse, so I made a 3D printed brace to straighten it out gradually and it has slowly been getting better.

2 Likes

The feeling of stability comes from the distance of your center of force(applied by your feet) relative to the pivot point in trucks. The higher it is the more actively you have to control it to stay vertical. The lower it is, the more passively stable it is.

3 Likes

I have 78mm,80,83,90 and 97mm wheels and my favorite is 80 and 83mm. I like riding low to the ground.

1 Like

On the topic of wheels, if you have good roads then go thane any size you’d like. If you are in NYC like me, doesn’t want pneumis, go 90mm and above. I had 90mm on my Boosted and that should be the standard for any thane board to come with. But now after having pneumis, I’ll stick to thane when kick pushing.

Well I got mine today. Really good improvements. San Francisco hills are no joke and it basically can get 10 mile range here. Ended at 25% charge

I was sorta bang on :stuck_out_tongue:

10 Likes

And here’s Riot

image image

7 Likes