Extended BLDC-TOOL with Watt Control Mode, PPM Cruise Control, individual Throttle-Curve and Android App

@Ackmaniac, this is AWESOME! I setup my raptor dual this morning with your software and it’s a tangible change in smoothness. Thanks for all the hard work. I’m pretty clueless, and I was able to get it going, so you must be doing the right thing.

If you have a raptor, you may have had the same issue I had with an increase in acceleration (power band) that kicks in around 15-20 mph. Ackmaniac’s watt control and throttle curve have really improved this for me. It wasn’t that bad before, but it was noticeable. On todays ride I didn’t notice it once.

Now that my Throttle is Buttery Smooth, I wanted to ask you if the Braking curve could be changed the same way? (The throttle curve is just so nice)

2 Likes

That is such a good question… I didn’t even think about that… this would be very useful. Because depending on wheel size. Reduction ratio. Rider weight, speed… etc etc the brakes strength varies greatly.

Great to hear the first impressions. Thx for testing.

Yes it would be possible to adjust the braking curve but i would need to make a lot of calculations and brainstorming to find a way that makes sense. And another problem is that i am running out of space on the PPM Screen. I think it would be necessary to add another screen like “advanced PPM” or “Throttle-Curve” (even more work). But first of all i need to understand the behavior in all situations. I should quickly study mathematics for that.

But first i will try to find a even nicer way to smooth the throttle curve a bit. (No sharp edges like in the last picture i posted). Because what i have right now works but it is a bit too confusing to adjust the curve exactly how you want it.

But for now the biggest impact on the brakes has the “Min Motor (regen)” value. For example -80 brakes harder than -60.

I just tested this, haven’t tried watt mode, but the ppm center and throttle curve work very nice!

Give the Watt Control Mode a try and you will gain even more throttle sensibility. But you have to test it on the road. On the bench you won’t really see the difference.

1 Like

Yeah, i noticed no difference on the bench. Im waiting for a 3d print to finish so i can close back my enclosure and go for a test ride in watt mode.

Just tried it, beautiful! Torque response all through the range, pretty impressive. Gotta set my rpm limits again tough, it was scary, im used to going full throttle all the time with my limits lol

Tried it out in foc, liked it, i did not play with the throttle curve. I left it linear

Top speed was not affected

3 Likes

A video. That was more than i expected. Just a hint to watt control. You will reach exactly the same top speed as with current control as long as adjusted max watt are enough to reach that speed. Watt control is more about to control the power. Full power is still full power as long as the watts allow it. Maybe share your Max Motor Amps and Max Batter Amps settings and then i can tell you which max watts you should set to reach the same power as in current control.

At the beginning of the video you said that it feels like less power. You only have to press the throttle a bit more than before. There is still the same power but over a wider throttle range. After an hour or so you get used to it. I have a app with that i can change my control mode while i am riding and when i switch from Current Control to Watt Control it feels like switching from a “undefined digital” feeling to to a “direct analog” feeling.

Here in this example i try to explain the difference.

You can see in the table that with current control and 70% throttle you reach already at 0,55 duty cycle (half speed) the max power when the Battery Max is set to 22,5 A. at 44,4V (12S) (22,5 * 44,4 = 1000 Watts) under load. That is the reason for the throttle range loss.

Maybe all a bit too complicated but it works. You can see that in watt mode it stays to 700 Watts at 70 % Throttle and doesn’t go above.

And here the same example at 40 % throttle. Watt mode stays at 400 watts and current goes up till full power of 1000 watts.

But close to max speed (around 0,9 duty cycle) you will not really feel the difference because then you reach the efficiency border of the motor. I can’t pull more watts than physically possible.

1 Like

@Blasto And you sayed you have cruise control. Then switch off braking at Cruise Control and enjoy carving.

I’m lazy, left everything default

Just realized that I should crank up this value

look at me pretending to know watt i’m doing

1 Like

I guess you have a 10S Battery then set your max watt value to 10 * 3,6 * 60 = 2160 max watts. Then it will have the same power. But you see that even 1000 watts is enough for full speed because of the motor efficiency boarder.

@Ackmaniac Because you know what you’re talking about and I’m brand new to this stuff (only a couple weeks ago I got my first eboard) can you confirm something for me?

So if I’ve done the math right as you told me prior… (3,7V * 10S) * 60A = 2220 Watts =Alright i got this part

So if I divide that by 2 because I have a Raptor dual motor (=2220) I would get = 1110 Watts

So would I set my max wattage to 1110 to get full power? Or to something less that that like the defaul 1000?

1 Like

If you have a single drive then it is ok. But 2000 watts is already a lot for the belt (2000 / 740 = 2,7 hp). But if you always drive like this then have fun.

Yes the belt will skip if i would punch it.

Don’t get me wrong, i like it, but the difference is very suttle.

Time to try out some absurd settings, having the throttle curve almost flat and starting to ramp up 2/3 of the travel

1 Like

At your setup you would feel the difference at 30 km/h during carving. Give it a try at watt control for 5 minutes at this speed with the throttle setup. And then shortly afterwards go back to current control without throttle adjustment (Vedder standard) and do the same. And then tell me the difference.

I can change in a second while i am riding with my app and then you really can compare. Your brain quickly gets used to watt control. But at the end of the day you realisethat you didn’t have these moments when you get out of balance because of a throttle with indifferent response.

this feels it will be pretty ridiculous

for science

Yes thats a bit ludacris but with my new curved edges that i will release soon it would look better. Example for same settings. The black line.

That felt actually very nice, plenty of low speed control. And i could still punch it to hit my top speed