Extended BLDC-TOOL with Watt Control Mode, PPM Cruise Control, individual Throttle-Curve and Android App

Did you also Set the correct controller id of the slave?

Yup. Master 0 slave 1 Tried swapping vesc as master/slave also

I mean when you try to connect via CAN. So that you choose which controllerid you want connect to.

Ah, yess I did. It’s stays connected to bldc tool until I activate the Can fwd. After that it takes a couple of seconds and the red “no firmware read response” shows up. It might disconnect the vesc from bldc tool after can fwd is checked. Not 100% sure if it did tho.

Hi @Ackmaniac, hope you’rz fine ! I just come back from a road trip and first thing to do : ride an eBoard !! :smile:

Did you change something to the BT communication ? (sorry, but again, no logfile of your app so couldn’t check by myself :yum: ) My phone still can detect my board in the BT menu but not your app anymore.

Also, I’ve been asked by french guys about having notification/vibration/alarm when the battery is running slow. We talked about that and AFAIR, you were maybe considering to implement it. Is it still in your TODO list ?

Finally, FYI, a french guy is currently writing an app just for iPhone for having monitoring info. Maybe you could be in touch with him to provide more detail of your custom comm. protocol to implement also mode switch :wink:

1 Like

I am using hybrid sensored mode and when I set it up I calibrate FOC first no issues. Then go over to BLDC tab to calibrate and when I do it says hall section sensor failed.

How does it see them and work in FOC calibration but not BLDC?

Also can you run calibration through can forwarding or do you have to plug into each individual esc?

The reaosn for that ismostly that the sensors for hall are not really well positioned. FOC is less sensitive than BLDC when it comes to hall detetction. Also had a bad motor once which had the same behavior. Just simply change to phase wires so that the motor runs in the opposite direction and do the BLDC detection again. Mostly it works then.

And you can do the detection via CAN.

So if you detect in BLDC and it says failed for hall and you select hybrid… is it really not using the sensors in the first half because dectection failed?

So swap wires so it runs backwards then have it detect then just swap wires with no re calibration once it’s spinning the right way?

No. It doesn’t help if the detection fails in the direction you want it to spin. Finally the hall sensors are not at the correct position.

And you need correct identified hall sensor positions to run in hybrid mode. Otherwise it doesn’t work.

Hi Ackmaniac,

Good job, well implemented :slight_smile:

Do you think it would be possible to implement “Watt Control Mode” for ADC input, because I wanna use wired throttle or wired rotation detection for an e-bike project ?!

I don’t wanna use PPM because I prefer wire connexion.

Have a Nice Day.

Thierry

So even if hall detection works in FOC, when trying to setup Hybrid if both escs dont say hall sensors detected under the BLDC tab when running BLDC calibration it’ll just essentially run unsensored BLDC even if Hybrid is still checked?

Each Vesc handles that for its own. For example you could run one Motor in BLDC in the other in FOC or hybrid and sensorless.

@pshaw I had the same with one motor, after switching 2 phase wires the hall sensor worked. But why you want to setup FOC and BLDC? Many people fry it by switching modes. Best is to reupload FW and set up one mode not both. Anyway, when you use sensored motors you need FOC not BLDC!

You should get completely naked if you want to change your shoes. Otherwise you will break your leg. Because many people broke their leg after they changed shoes and didn’t get naked before. And sensored works in BLDC and FOC.

3 Likes

I’m using sensored (Hybrid) with bldc just fine. Been using this firmware/app since release because of watt control.

@Ackmaniac Great job on the app. It’s turned out really nice!!!

True, i can confirm that :joy: But joking aside, i was f***** around with hybrid BLDC for weeks and my sensored motors were cogging and jittering only at startup. Vedder suggested me to use FOC because of better hall sensor implementation what I did. It works like a charm now and for my motors FOC is the only solution. Let’s get naked…

1 Like

As said before. I made that experience with badly placed hall sensors. If they are placed well then BLDC hybrid works. Best indicator for this is when sensor detection in BLDC only works in one direction.

And the firmware flashing is a myth. If you want to be sure nothing can get fucked a reboot after you wrote the settings is enough. But even that isn’t needed.

That’s interesting because I have trampa motors (€€€) and don’t expect badly placed hall sensors on them. I’ve tried it with sensored maytech motor, too but with no difference (motors tested with all 6 possible phase wire combinations). Also I’ve read that several people have this cogging problem at startup with sensored motors in BLDC hybrid mode. All the builds with smooth startup I’ve seen running sensored FOC. But I’m glad to hear that there are people out there where it works!

Ok, let’s burn the firmware flashing myth :boom: if you say so

Hi Ackmaniack,

Do you think it would be easily possible to implement “Watt Control Mode” in the ADC Tab?

I’ve a lot of knowledge about hardware, but software is not my cup of tea :slight_smile:

Have a Nice Day.

Thierry

Hi @Ackmaniac. After discovering that I bought an incompatible HM-10 clone BT module, I’m now about to buy this one:

This is supposed to be the original HM-10 but I just want to make 100% sure that this will work with your firmware and android app. Could you please confirm?

Also, will I be able to connect to it using the BLDC tool on my Mac?

Thanks!