Extended BLDC-TOOL with Watt Control Mode, PPM Cruise Control, individual Throttle-Curve and Android App

I bought the VESC from @WARMAN but everything else I got from him works fine and the VESC itself is from DIY. I’ve asked and they’ve told me that it comes flashed with firmware already.

Say I do need to flash it, do I need to do anything else other than get a Stlink programmer or am I good to flash it with your custom firmware?

DIY should come with a bootloader so you wouldn’t even need STlink to flash the firmware, just make sure to use the modified BLDC tool.

As i understood he can’t even geta connection to any BLDC-Tool. Correct would be when it shows the text that there is a too old firmware installed on the VESC when you open it with my BLDC-Tool mod.

@Jinra This is also what I’ve been told.

@Ackmaniac I can’t get a connection with your BLDC tool. Yours is the only one I’ve tried as I’ve had trouble finding anything else that isn’t 2 years old and works on Windows. If you know of a BLDC tool that will work with the standard firmware then I’d love to download it and flash my VESC with your modded one.

Watt mode is a modified current control. In current control you control the motor amps. So when your motor max is set to 80A then 15% throttle is 20A, 50% throttle is 40A and 75% throttle is 60A. The problem is that when your battery amps are at for example 40A then your VESC can’t reach the motor amps after 50% duty cycle anymore. Because with 50% duty cycle the 80A at the motor are 40A at the battery. So the maximum for the battery is reached. But normal current control doesn’t care. So the faster you go the higher get’s the duty cycle and the less throttle you need to throw full possible power. So at full speed you only need roughly 50% throttle to give full power. That means the faster you go the more you loose throttle range and the board becomes less controllable via the remote.

In watt control the you still have the full throttle range at high speeds to control the speed. And it can take the battery max as upper limit or a specif watt value. When it is controlled by the watts then it has the advantage that the power output will be the same no matter which voltage the battery is at.

If you can’t get a connection to mine then i doubt you will get a connection to any. Maybe the USB on your computer has wrong drivers installed or the VESCs are faulty.

Thank you for responding so quickly, I haven’t installed any drivers, just tried pressing connect after powering it up.

Are there drivers I need to get? if so, could I trouble you to point me in the right direction?

Thanks again

Hey Ackmaniac,

With the help of @sayreul today we managed to connect to the VESC and upload your custom firmware without issue. However, now at home again I still get the same error and fail to connect. Are there any drivers I may be missing? my PC automatically configures the VESC as a COM device (not that I will pretend to know what that means).

Thanks for your help,

Youssless

Nevermind, it continued to configure and then the option of connecting to COM5 came up and I’m all good now.

Still in love with this application. I have one problem tho. I cant see my files when plugged into computer(clicked save on folder in application and folders are there but no items in it, not hidden either) Also I cant send them to my drive etc in the application.

edit: I just realised I didnt post this in the android application thread, hope its allright anyway :wink:

1 Like

Did you try to send it via the app to any other place? Like Dropbox or store it in another location or send it via email. And can you click on the files on the app so that it shows you the graphs or the the video?

Shit. Another fried DRV-chip in FOC. Didn’t use reverse or applied full power on the bench. It happend while driving in Watt-mode. I`m done with FOC…

Doing test bench in FOC often kills the DRV. What is your voltage ? just for information.

What VESC were you using?

Hey, Yeah I tried it. the only thing I can do is send Videos to “Photos” on my cloud. But I cant send them nor the CSV files to any other place, not even my drive. I tried Email aswell. it just say the file failed to send or that it could not be found. I cant find it while plugged in either.

I can see the graphs with no problems

First of all I want to personally thank you for the efforts and the great work you did @Ackmaniac! I was wondering if, using a hm-10 bluetooth module, I can connect the vesc to BLDC tool on my pc… It still works flawlessly using the android app, but would be much easier, for bench tests and configurations, to work on pc :slight_smile:

8s lipo 8000mah

Esk8.de and enertion.

I made the experience that the reliability of FOC depends very much on the motor you are using. For example my Enertion R-SPEC 6355 i have to run at 30000 switching frequency instead of 20000 to get them running properly. At 20000 they throw sometimes errors and let the board vibrate at higher speeds. But changed to 30000 (experience of endless tests) they run fine and more efficient than BLDC. With the FOCBOX they run even better. So which motor are you using?

I’m running a sk3 6364 with 245kv. In current mode it used to run flawless in FOC, but it seems to have a problem in watt mode. Before the chip fails, the vesc restarts a couple of times and I can ride again and then nothing.

never seen that, what is this frequency and where/why to adjust?