Extended BLDC-TOOL with Watt Control Mode, PPM Cruise Control, individual Throttle-Curve and Android App

Then set your “ERPM limit start” to 24000 and give that a try. Because i think it is fighting against that restriction. Please also post your General Motor settings. But why do you restrict your max speed at all?

The max speed with 25000 is 30km/h with full charged batt. I’m using the Winning remote and had some drop outs, so till I get a new remote I stay at this top speed. Now my family ic calling, later I show you the screenshots.

Here are my motor settings. Both VESCs have the same values:

I changed to 24000 and now I’ll test it.

With your settings you won’t feel such a big difference because the motor and battery max is very close to each other. And the moment you would feel a slight difference the ERPM limits kick in already. But you still could customize the throttle-curve.

The ERPM Limit Start at 24000 didn’t change the throttle trigger range. What will be the result if I lower the value for Batt max?

1 Like

Then you would have less power. Because Battery max * batter volts at load = max power output. But what exactly would you expect? Because the power output must be already different over the entire throttle range. So do you feel a difference between 80 % throttle and 100 % throttle at 25 km/h? Because at 30 km/h you won’t feel a difference because you hit the max ERPM border. There is not much i could do about it. But you would feel it when you remove the ERPM limit.

I just try to understand the different settings of the VESC. It would be nice to set a speed limit for different situations or maybe for to give the board to other people and always could use the entire throttle trigger range like it is possible with an rc-car ESC. But it seems that is not possible in current or watt mode.

You can do that by reducing the max watt. Then the board has less power over the entire throttle range. Set it simply to 250 watts and try it. Then 100 %Throttle will be 250 watts for each vesc. So 500 watts in total for a dual drive.

Just tried that. 250 x 2 watts is really good for to give the board in other hands. Still reached about 30 km/h but it’s only for flatland.

Yes for 30 km/h you need roughly 300 till 350 watts in total. Depends on the efficiency of the drive train. Glad that you got it sorted finally.

I also reduce the power when i give it to somebody else the first time. Because everybody underestimates the power when they see the small motors.

I once made the mistake to give the board to a boy who was like 30kg. And the board acted like it’s doing a test run on the bench. Told him multiple times to be extremely careful but it din’t help. So he was flying. Actually he didn’t even ride a single meter, felt down at the exact spot where he started. Afterwards i decided to reduce the power drastically when i give it to somebody new.

It’s really funny when my colleagues drive the first time with 250 Watts and tell me that it is very impressive and a nice toy. And then i ask them if they want to try it with 10 times the power (2500 Watts). Always funny to see the WTF face they make then. And there was only one guy wanted to give it a try.

1 Like

How do you switch settings so fast?

I also programmed a android app with that i can save multiple modes and simply switch while i am riding. But it only works with my modded firmware. Because i don’t want the board to keep the settings. Means when i switch the board on and off again it is back to default. It only sets it as default when i want it. That has some advantages when the cops stop me. And the Vedder firmware can’t do that.

Also it only works with Wifi via a ESP8266. Because i need this module to be smart to keep the max and min values by itself. Otherwise the smartphone needs to be connected all the time. This way i check the stats at the end of my run. But that app is something for another topic. But if somebody has a Wemos Mini D1 (ESP8266) then pm me and i can send the code and the app.

App looks like this, but i don’t want to publish it yet because when i change the firmware i might have to adopt also this app. So i will do that when it is the time.

10 Likes

Maybe it was a bit less than 30km/h with 2x250 watts, I forgot my phone to take with. Now I tested with 2 x 500 watts and changed the Soft RPM Limit to 30.000. I only got 32km/h. Next I will try to give more Max watt and see if this will give higher speed. If not I go higher with Soft RPM Limit to see where is the top.

Forgot that you have hub motors. So i can’t tell you how they perform. But keep on sharing your experiences.

Currently i ma still working on the softened edges for the throttle-curve implementation which i will implement hopefully today.

But afterwards i think about it to add watt control also to the brakes. Because there we have the same issue like with the acceleration in current control. When i go full speed then 40% braking-throttle is already enough to brake 100%. So also there the throttle range is lost. Will be interesting to test this and see how it feels. But i guess it will make the brake much more controllable. Even more than the acceleration. I keep you updated.

8 Likes

I added the new feature to soften the throttle curve edges. this way the throttle curve feels very natural. But i still left the possibility to keep the hard edges. the smoothness of the curve is now adjustable via the red marked number box in the second picture. Just try it out. Also the calculations in 10% steps are now visible in the diagram. By adjusting how curve the edges should be it is still possible to adjust very extreme curves. So with the box you can adjust how curve it should be to fit your needs.

Hard edges

Soft edges

This is version 2.51.

5 Likes

@Ackmaniac great work dude! I’ve been using watt mode for about 2 days, and between that and the ppm center im loving it. Its very predictable and responsive.

1 Like

Great to hear that. Did you also try the throttle curve adjustment?

I haven’t. I like my linear throttle curve :slight_smile:

You should give it a try. It is really nice to reduce the power at the low throttle range till 50 %. Makes carving at mid to higher really nice and smooth. If you only go full speed all the time then you don’t need it. My board for example does 50 km/h max and carving at 30 till 35 is the best for me. And at those speeds the reduced power output from the throttle is really nice.

Right now I work on the implementation that watt control also works for braking. I am really interested how it would feel. But if it is good I still will leave the possibility to switch it off so that it works like it does right now. Actually braking is the same as in current control. And If it is great then I might also implement the throttle curve adjustment for braking. Oh and also for the nunchuk.

What would be another feature the community wants. Maybe you have some great ideas?

And can anybody tell me if it would be OK for a single drive to connect one channel of the remote to the servo connector and the other one to the adc channel inclusive the GND and TV or 3.3 volt pin. Or could that create a short? And on how many volts do the remote channels run? Because this way the cruise control also could be activated for a single drive.

1 Like