Extended BLDC-TOOL with Watt Control Mode, PPM Cruise Control, individual Throttle-Curve and Android App

My description was confusing… I accelerated forwards a little bit, then full brake (small room) and then i put unintended full throttle in reverse ( in my head it was still the brake). As a reaction of this happening i gave full throttle forwards. This is the forward burnout on the picture. DON’T TRY THIS AT HOME. I am scared for now but i’ll try to tweak the reverse speed as you mentioned when i go watt mode again. Thanks!

Oh okay that makes more sense. Make sure you check box that says enable maximum erpm for direction switch. Idk why it’s not checked as default but I think that may have contributed to the confusion

1 Like

I redid everything and started taking print screens of all the windows found the problem here

I changed from UART to PPM and now it recognizes the controller input

1 Like

Would it be possible to program a button on a controller turn on and off 5V output pin on vesc?

Also is the Android app open source? If not are there plans to add Android Wear support?

Are there any vesc apps with Android Wear support?

I don’t see why you couldn’t add an output like that. You’d have to get into the code though :wink:

But it really just depends on what you’re using it for. The 5v line on the VESC is limited to 1 amp max (and i’d keep it under that). So if you’re just driving a switch or communicating with another board, you’re probably fine. If you’re looking to run an LED or something, you may blow something

I haven’t seen the source, so I don’t know if it’s quite open source

I’m not aware of any apps that have android wear support that I can recommend. I heard of one app that may support it, but due to some poor behavior by the developer here, I don’t recommend using the app so I won’t link to it. Feel free to search around for it though :slight_smile:

Hi there. Noticing you did some great improvements here! As I’m waiting for my FOCBOX to arrive I was wondering if the following would be possible to do or implement.

Both Nano v2 and Nano-X have the “feature” where you need to go full throttle and full brake before you can use full range of the stick. Otherwise, a small stick movement results in a massive PPM movement which could mean a harsh brake or very fast acceleration, both not very good for rider :slight_smile:

Coming from the quad world, there is this “arming” procedure where the motors will not start until a arm switch is turned on or there is certain stick movement triggered. I don’t know about the Nano-X but Nano v2 had a 2nd channel that could perhaps act as a arming switch?

Or better yet, set up arming trigger where throttle switch has to go full up and full down at least once (twice preferred) before motors would “arm”.

I hope you can understand what I’m trying to say here, I suck at explaining my thoughts to others (“I swear, it was so clear in my head” haha) xD

1 Like

When i brake in watt mode it drives backwards after full stop without releasing the throttle! I have steez remote…

… meanwhile i clicked “enable maximum ERPM for direction switch” it works now as described.

Works like a charm :slight_smile:

13 Likes

how? :heart_eyes:

1 Like

that was a really hard task of coding:

1. Power your board
  2. Run Ack´s app
  3. Enjoy status over smartwatch

:monkey:

2 Likes

Haha. I call that a lucky one. It wasn’t my intention to show the notifications on the Smartwatches. But good to know that it works. So i think i should extend the info a bit. For example the distance and time.

3 Likes

I´d love to have the speed there! Also what I missed yesterday was the km i´ve ridden. Did i drink to much or is the app not showing the trip distance?

@ackmaniac are you planning to add motor detection funcionalitity in the future?

pretty sure its in there isnt it?

1 Like

I’m sorry, I made the wrong question.

Are you planning to add motor detection functionality via HM-10 Bluetooth module on order to be performed by an android app?

Can you add the ability to configure what shows up in notifications, motor amps, batt amps, etc If you could also add the ability to change modes from notifications and have it work on Android Wear that would be awesome :grinning:

I will donate if you can help me get my first vesc running with my controller. My remote seems to be all or nothing, no feathering of speed in trigger… and when I change any of the ERPM’s speed is always the same I have the Alien Power system remote.

Can we do a screen share in skype and you walk me through it? PLEASE :slight_smile:

Has anyone tried to use the bldc tool with the APS dual esc?

…I think you’re a little off topic, and I have no idea how that could work. The VESC and BLDC-tool use their own parameters and communication protocols that are entirely different than any other ESC that I’m aware of.

Keep in mind that you have to have a load on the board to see the acceleration accurately.

1 Like