Extended BLDC-TOOL with Watt Control Mode, PPM Cruise Control, individual Throttle-Curve and Android App

In theory it would be possible. First i switched the mode when i press the brake for 3 seconds fully. Problem is that it would be necessary to store the other modes on the VESC as well. And change the BLDC-Tool to have the possibility to setup different modes. That all is possible but i think it’s much easier via the app. Cool would be a remote with display where i can change the modes.

Yeah, right. A smartphone/remote combination would be nice :wink:

It took me a while to get all of this done, as I had my VESCX’s configured wrong, which was causing all of my above issues. I had both VESCX’s set at 0, instead of 0 and 1.

The throttle curve works splendidly, and I originally set it up like the pic below. Acceleration used to be twitchy, and now it’s very smooth. I hated the braking on the settings below, and have since changed it back to the standard linear setting. I don’t feel a need to change the brakes at this time.

Thanks for building this BLDC tool…I sent some dollars you way today! Now if somebody could just build the APP for my iPhone…

amazing work !!! I do have some HC-05 modules lying around but I guess they won’t work… certainly gonna give it a try especially because centering the PPM is a PITA on Vedder’s BLDC tool.

so i just tried flashing my vesc (4.12 @fw 2.18) with this firmware and it just keeps the 2.18 one.

guess i am missing a bootloader right?

yep you do. For instructions go here:

1 Like

ok thx, i’ve seen that link allready, just missing my programmer ^^

Hello! I was wondering if I could use your mod to adjust my failsafe? My remote does not include one and I do not want to ride if it puts me in danger (well… more than normal :wink:)

also, could you please include a download link for this mod?

Thanks!!!

That could potentially work because you can adjust center pulsewidth. Download links are in the first post

@dino15309 You can’t do this by software. And you can find the link in the first post of this thread. Which remote do you use?

I use the Quanom pistol grip. I didn’t know much about RC remotes and how bad this one was until it was too late…

@Ackmaniac, where can we find the changelog of your app ? It seems that Play store often updates the app, but no way to find out what has been changed. :wink:

Usually I don’t update the change log. So the best information you can get about changes is here in this thread.

The changelog of the app

• improvement of the sound and graphic
  • now you can view your speed in full 4k resolution.
2 Likes

Any chance of duty cycle with nuetral? Watt mode is cool, just favor duty cycle and think other people might to.

Not at the moment. Want to finish some other stuff first and i think i will add my modifications to the VESC-Tool when it comes out so it makes more sense to implement it there. I still think current or watt control is still much more controllable. And if you think the power is too weak then simply raise the settings. Duty Cycle control makes only sense to me when you ride offroad and change the surface you are riding on. For example when you change from tarmac to wet grass or sand. Because then the power output would be raised automatically when the wheels stat to spin slower.

2 Likes

Yeah, waiting on vesc tool, but it’s always being delayed and with all the bad publicity I wouldn’t be surprised if it it’s not compatible with anything besides vesc6. In app weekly firmware updates I think?

It’s all preference, but I want duty cycle to have more control. For example I measured 3000watts+ on accelerations on flats. So if I set max watts at 1500 per vesc to have that power on reserve. Once I reach my max speed of let’s say 30mph it only takes 750watts or 1/4 throttle to stay there. So going 15mph it only takes 1/8 throttle to maintain speed. If it was duty cycle, in theory I would use 1/2 throttle for 15mph and full throttle for full speed.

The way I see it current/watts is not leanier how you said when switching surfaces, also if theres hills, a small driveway, if theres a small rock in front of the wheel, if you want fast acceleration. With speed you want to increase linearly​ if you’re going slow, fast, up a hill, off road. And what happens if I want to pull 6000 watts I would use 1/16 throttle for 15mph? Duty cycle from my understanding would still be 1/2 throttle. Duty cycle is not perfect or for everyone, but I like that it’s predictable

And there is the problem. It is not predictable. In theory it simply says that you want a specific speed. And it uses all the power that is allowed to get there. Even if you only give 1/4 throttle from a standstill then it does full power till you reached 1/4 speed. There is a bit more to it but basically that is how it works.

That’s why the Evolve remote is so damn touchy and can’t be adjusted

I understand your concern of pulling infinite amps, but I don’t think that would be the case. Especially with vesc because you can set limits on amps. The thing that will change is the way you control those amps. With a decent long through remote you can still get up to speed smoothly and not use all those amps. And if you want to accelerate faster, youll have all the power in reserve, you just move your finger faster. It’s not as bad as you make it out to be, I think you should try duty cycle.

@eboosted I tried a evolve and yeah it’s a bit touchy. Not sure if it’s remote not having much range or because with escs you can adjust the punch level to your liking.