EXTENDED ACKMANIAC-ESC Tool based on VESC-Tool

I tried it yesterday and I got the same thing. Pretty sure it worked in 2.xx

1 Like

Iā€™ve found my way into this thread by looking up what the new figures in the vesc-tool mean and how I can make use of them for my usecase. Iā€™ve read my way all through the two threads with lots of messages in them throughout the last two days.

Thus being a little bit late to this ā€œpartyā€ let me have some words on this.

Working myself for a company that embraced an open community oriented workflow via github ( https://github.com/arangodb/arangodb ) (Comming from a closed source company) I know that working in the public (everybody being able to stalk you) is quiet a difference and one has to get used to it.

And at least from following the discussions in the first thread, after some pushing it seems to me that ackmaniac followed a more frequent source release series.

After havig done a PR to the vesc myself to make it a little bit more modular ( github.com/vedderb/bldc/pull/28 ) which hopefully will help it become better adoptable to multiple purposes - since my purposes isnā€™t esk8s either. Speaking of my PR, Iā€™d like to direct at @trampa - it ended up in a mega-commit - github.com/vedderb/bldc/commit/f14115735812938ccd6142bbdcb7e1799c83d69a - ā€œShowing with 3,500 additions and 477 deletionsā€ whithout feedback to the original PR on the actual release happening; which Iā€™d consider at least non well behaved or even as rude as others named the way Ackmaniac treated vedders source as well.

I think as percevied from the community (at least for me) Vedder went off into the closet to get a shiny new version with nice features readily available to the community as it was polished until it was ā€œpresenteableā€ to a broader audience. As Iā€™ve learned in this thread a broken leg pushed these timelines even more - I hope vedder that you recovered good from that. We were presented the outcome of these 8 months in a singe git commit to the VESC firmware repository, and a shiny new UI. While its debateable to work out something until its presenteable, that single commit doesnā€™t attribute 3rd party contributions and stops every community member from having a look at the discrete steps of this development so that we can learn from these steps. It really voids the open source pragma ā€œrelease early, release oftenā€

Similar things can be said about the way Ackmaniac worked with his tremendous efforts in these two threads in the last one and a half year. While you developed nice features very usefull to the community that use them, youā€™ve denied access to your insights you gained with these efforts to your fellow developers, as Iā€™d like to call vedder and i.e. me now. If the truck-run-over-factor kicks in, youā€™re leaving us a little less the way alone as the keyboard hacking community experienced with its valuable member Soarer suddenly disappearing: https://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/xt-at-ps2-terminal-to-usb-converter-with-nkro-t2510.html without a single line of source.

Please Ackmaniac alter your workflow a little to embrace the way git (and gihtub) works. You simply need to push that work that far away from you so others can grab it easily and do it for you - no discussing or wasting of your precious time involved.

The regular github workflow works like this:

• head over to i.e. github.com/vedderb/bldc/
  • In the upper right you have the ā€œforkā€ icon - press it.
  • This will create a fork of the offficial firmware repo on your github account - github.com/Ackmaniac/bldc
  • This is now a full featured fork, that can have all features the other repo has.
  • Clone this to your local harddrive using git clone github.com/Ackmaniac/bldc.git
  • this gives you all current changes the local upstream firmware has.
  • You now work with this repo, develop, debug, and once youā€™ve found a thing to change, share your wisdom with us:
  • git commit comm_can.c someotherfile.c -m "I've changed this for the faith of .... "
  • git push
  • (you may add all your current changes in an initial commit if you want to avoid the work of splitting it into discrete units)
  • now github.com/Ackmaniac/bldc will contain this special change in one commit.
  • once youā€™ve done a set of changes, youā€™d add a tag as others questioned vedder to do here github.com/vedderb/bldc/issues/31
  • Iā€™d suggest you choose a versioning sheme that doesnā€™t increase the vedder versioning, but appends your own version, so everyone can see this is the vedder-base xyz plus your changes:
    • git tag v3.xxx-Ack-007; git push --tags
  • now everyone can see the steps of your work leading to a release, and whats actually contained in a release.

Now s.b. else could see - whew - cool Ackmaniac added something we should have in the vedder repo. Lets say this person is me.

so Iā€™d have my own fork of the vedder repo on github (github.com/dothebart/bldc) which Iā€™ve cloned to my local repo, which is my current working directory

$ git clone github.com/dothebart/bldc.git $ cd bldc

Now I will add the vedder repo to my workingcopy:

$ git remote add upstream github.com/vedderb/bldc

and yours:

$ git remote add ackmaniac github.com/Ackmaniac/bldc

Now I would checkout your stage:

$ git checkout ackmaniac/master $ git pull $ git log --stat

would show me your commits. I can now cherry-pick them

I will checkout vedders stage:

$ git checkout upstream/master Previous HEAD position was 1655c11ā€¦ Merge pull request #19 from pelrun/master HEAD is now at 47c0826ā€¦ Fixed CAN baudrate update

I now branch a PR branch which will go to my dothebart repo:

git branch feature/add_ackmaniac_feature_xyz git cherry-pick < fix eventual conflicts by editing > git commit # now saves your commit with my adjustments with a note that it was your commits with my edits

I eventually will have to do more changes to make it work, I will git commit themā€¦

git push # will tell me the magic spell to create this branch on github.com/dothebart/bldc

now once I open github.com/dothebart/bldc I will get a popup, " do you want to create a PR to vedder? " I click yes, fill in stuff etc. Hopefully vedder will get used to the github workflow, discuss on the issue, me changing stuff as requested, he will merge it. => your change merged upstream without you having additional effort or to discuss your work.

I hope that opposed to growing a living user community (that i.e. definitely exists around your fork) we also (as @trampa already tried to express) can grow a lively developer community around the vesc and its ecosystem. I really do think that vedder has to work on his attitude here too, and the code base of the ecosystem has to evolve in a way that features can grow up in branches (forks), and easily get merged back later on.

If you need more help about using git or github, feel free to contact me via twitter.com/dothebart , freenode IRC, or phone. @ackmaniac As you may have found out already Iā€™m native german also, so maybe that could be easier.

(removed some httpsā€™es to workaround my junior membership)

15 Likes

woahā€¦ thats a lot of words in one post!

1 Like

Did u just admit to hacking our forum to post as a junior memeber? Lol :unamused:

3 Likes

I give him props lol. If he was that dedicated he probably deserves to post more :joy:

3 Likes

Iā€™d vote for whitelisting github urls :wink:

2 Likes

do you know if it would work with the Vesc1.1 from esk8.de :frowning:(@esk8 )?

Can anyone tell me a bit more about the PID Speed control no acceleration?

• Does it keep te speed you push to (when holding the throttle)?
  • What speeds can you get to and can you limit the speed to wich it will accelerate?
  • Do you need HALL-sensors on your motor for this?
  • How ā€˜experimentalā€™ is it exactly?

It should, since they say

on their web app

Yes, it does. You push the board and then hold the throttle and it keeps the speed

You can set the speed limit via the app. I have reached around 20kmh downhill and it kept the speed

No, you donĀ“t.

Works for me just fine without problems.

3 Likes

The mac version of the new esc tool crashes every time after flashing firmware. Not a big deal since it still flashes successfully and I can just reboot the tool but I thought iā€™d just let you know

hi this looks to be a better tool and i want to use it, but how do i install it on LINUX?

1 Like

how do i get this going on my focbox ? just plugged it in have the bldc tool but ackmaniac is suppose be much betterā€¦something about i need to flash the focbox?lolā€¦ sorry cant find a guide anywhere

running windows 10 sensored motors and focbox

Just read through the thread its all there. Noone is gonna give you a 6 word method, itā€™s more intricate than that, so do the research so you will UNDERSTAND.

1 Like

ya fair enough looks complicated but gotta be don. are the correct vesc setting in this?

Just so you donā€™t waste time hoping and prayingā€¦ It sucks but thereā€™s 101 ways to blow up a vesc. Every software/firmware/hardware version brings new ways. Because there are so many ways, there are no guides that will keep you 100% safe.

Gonna have to search and read a fuckton ,and hope youā€™ve read enough.

And you still might blow it up.

BTW, if Iā€™m wrong about this please shout me down.

That kinda sucks honestly , sure you can research , but if you start researching the wrong shit or missed a part that you werenā€™t suppose to, you can be out of a good $200 or a headache at the least. Just looking back at the CANBUS vs Split debate, if people didnā€™t see the comment where you have to cut ground when splitting (I believe that was the solution to that issue) you were straight lining your VESC6ā€™s to the eventual slaughter (if Iā€™m not wrong).

For software like this were thereā€™s a good 2 or 3 similar applications, there really NEEDS to be a quickstep guide or set up guide with a good ELI5 doā€™s and donā€™ts.

Iā€™ve read The thread for VESC-Tool , Enertionā€™s tool , METR, eSkate VESC, and BLDC Thingamagig ( I am seriously bad with names) and I STILL donā€™t understand the difference, advantages, and disadvantages of each application against each other. Once I get to configuring my Focboxes Iā€™ll have to reread each thread and guide cause fuck me if I donā€™t understand the tool more useful for my needs and understanding capacity.

3 Likes

an esk8 vesc tool wizard is needed lol

1 Like

We just need a software comparison between the tools and Iā€™m kinda surprised there isnā€™t one, especially when each application is being updated constantly which results in one tool being good for this thing at one point and not being the tool you need at another.

Yeah I was looking for one too. I just added a guide to my build page. Hope it helps.

1 Like