EXTENDED ACKMANIAC-ESC Tool based on VESC-Tool

Yep problem with the FW x.103. Both of my VESC are not working. Cannot connected to UART/BLE.

Did you test the connectivity with 3.102 shortly before you updated? Because i guess because of the winter you didnā€™t test it for a while and since the last time you used it your smartphone upgraded to android 8 which doesnā€™t work with a lot of BLE module clones. But that is only a wild guess. 3.103 works the same as the old version and i have no issues.

Hey there. I have a similar problem. I updated to 3.103 - now I canā€™t connect with the ESC Monitor via bluetooth anymore. Also when connecting over the TCP Bridge I can only Read APP and MOTOR values but when I try to write it will not write to the VESC. any hints ? Thanks

1 Like

Hi there! Is the Ackmaniac FW still the better FW and the way to go? Iā€™m asking for 4.12 and 6.4 HW Versions. I know it was praised a year ago but donā€™t know how this firmware stands to the ā€œoriginalā€ FWs after a year now. Thank you very much! :slight_smile:

When I had 3.102 installed. Everything was working fine. But now all my UART and Bluetooth is not getting any feedback from VESC. I have tried to switch a new BLE and changed BR. Nothing is work. I need to switch back to 3.102 FW.

Can anyone please provide me an alternative link to download the previous FM

Did it work directly before you switched to the new firmware or was that some months before? (Asking because of Winter and maybe your Smartphone Android Version changed) Only think i can imagine is the change in the COMM_GET_VALUES where the controller Id was added which can lead to a new package that was send and your BLE module might get trouble with that. Send me a PM with your email and i can send you the previous version to test if it makes a difference

Do you want to start a fight :crazy_face:?

3 Likes

Yes Ā 

1 Like

Yes Ā  :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes. It was working fine before I have uploaded to a new FW. I have been using the same phone (NOTE 5)

Maybe! :slight_smile: ā€¦ It was a genuine question. Wasnā€™t tracking your FW/Tool the last year so I am kinda not up to date anymoreā€¦

So. Is it also recommendable for the 6.4HW based ESCs?

But if you want so: ā€œLeeets get reeeeadyyyyy toooo ruuuuummbleā€ :woozy_face:

4 Likes

VESC-Tool just got a major update with 20K lines of new code. Have a look and compare yourself. If you havenā€™t followed things up for a year, you will need to do some reading.

1 Like

What i saw so far is that the User Interface changed. The Motor detection changed. But when it comes to the control of the Motors in FOC (which most use) then the only real change i can see is smoothening of the transition when you brake shortly before you come to a complete stop, which was basically the idea of @Deodand and is a change of less than 10 lines of code. And i think i saw a change if you use encoders. So apart from the User Interface there isnā€™t much that has changed yet when you have already a good working setup. But i have the feeling that Benjamin will concentrate on motor control optimizations in the future now that he has the User Interface as he wantā€™s it. Field weakening for higher speeds would be interesting or Field Injection for sensorless motors.

But personally i think my firmware mod is still better when it comes to the controllability and ride and feel of a electric skateboard (watt control, timeout rampening, traction control offset, cruise control with PPM remotes, different power levels for front and back axle for 4wd).

But everybody can judge themself. I donā€™t have a business interest and simply changed the stuff that i didnā€™t like and that i was capable of.

Benjamin is for sure much more talented and has a much bigger knowledge. But i think his focus is on a universal motor controller for all kind of motors (which is impressive) and i focus on controllability of a electric skateboard with a human body on top of it which canā€™t react as fast as a Microcontroller can do.

19 Likes

i also canā€™t connect my focbox with your tool since the update. I used the USB connection. Mobile app still works.

Not sure if this was asked before. Version 3.103. Does it have the low speed brake fix?

1 Like

No

ā€¦10charā€¦

1 Like

Well. Ummm does it need it? I only ran the fix on my unity.

1 Like

Itā€™s not a deal breaker not having it unless your having an issue with it imo.

If you run FOC and experience excessively strong brake locking right before stop and itā€™s annoying you, the fix is great to have. Otherwise no

2 Likes

@rey8801

Replying to your comment in the Unity thread.

I have found the @Ackmaniac app/tool completely reliable. No connectivity issues at allā€¦ since I bought a new Android phone. My previous Android, a Samsung, had problems all the time.

Now Iā€™m on a OnePlus which is not full of bloatwareā€¦I turned off power management for the @Ackmaniac tool and have had no connectivity issues whatsoever.

So, check your phone if your having issues.

Hi man. Are you using it with the unity? Because I have been using this app over a year with other vesc and it worked perfectly. I have problem now with the unity which is a known compatibility issue.