EXTENDED ACKMANIAC-ESC Tool based on VESC-Tool

You mean motor parameters and settings? I think if you read them via VESC tool and then update the firmware without closing the tool, then you can just hit write again and it should set it all for you. No guarantees though - if I were you I’d just do the config again - it’s not like it takes a couple hours.

vesc tool 0.95 fw 3.40 no data for me either anymore, so had to downgrade. In the change log its mentioned, id added to uart, which has broken the apps.

If I install the 410 & 411 & 412 firmware that is included with this ESC tool can I still use the Ackmaniac-BLDC tool to configure it instead of this ESC tool? I know on the dropbox link the BLDC tool is under a folder labeled, “old”

Hi guys.

Anyone had an issue with losing real time data from vesc on ackmaniac app?

I cant get any real time data from any of my 4.12 vescs anymore (i can with vesc tool and serial link though).

Screenshot_20181006-132342

They all worked perfectly and now non of them work. ( I have 3 all from different manufacturer’s).

All settings appear to be fine. ( App settings on adc and uart. Uart is set to 9600).

Whenever I connect to ackmaniac app the current limits appear but nothing else. Bluetooth module is hm10.

Just wondering if its due to a recent update to the app as all hardware has been replaced and still no luck.

Thanks Steve.

Make you don’t have any other vesc BT apps open and try again. If no joy, uninstall reboot reinstall. That usually works for me.

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried to re-install the ackmaniac app but that didn’t resolve the issue.

Also, I have the app installed on my phone and tablet. Both were working fine and now both won’t work.

@Ackmaniac just wondering if you could please help. Do you know if there is a way of getting the Flipsky Bluetooth module to work with your app.

Flipsky have advised that the Bluetooth module they sell will only work with the VESC Tool Android App but I just wanted to see if there was a way to make it work before pulling it out.

It is based of the NRF51 if that means anything to you.

Never thought about it. Maybe there is a chance, maybe not. Feel free to send me one so that i can have a look at if i find the time. But at the moment my time is very limited so it could take a while.

Hey @Ackmaniac I just switched from your old BLDC Tool firmware to the new ESC Tool with 3.102.

I run BLDC. Hardware 4.12 maytech.

There was a setting in the old tool called “Max ERPM at full brake” that I really liked. If you lowered the number it made the brakes from mid to low speed really smooth and linear as the speed decreased. Now I find in this speed range it feels like the brakes are increasing in power as I slow down even when keeping the remote brake level constant. So I have to release the brake a little and it feels grabby or like its latching. As I release it a little goes from a lot of brake to basically none. image

Is there any equivalent in the new tool? I don’t see anything. image

Other than that the new firmware is great, much smoother startup from zero speed.

Thanks for all the work you put in for the community.

1 Like

Please post your motor and battery amp settings.

X2 motors dual. 5065 140kv, 18:36 ratio on 97mm wheels. 12s Lipo.

I kinda got used to it at mid speed just need to use less brake on the remote. But low speed to stop is still grabby. Also its more weird on a downhill then flat ground.

I did change minimum current and start up boost for cleaner starts. image image

I had to do an emergency brake from top speed this morning as a car pulled out in front me. It made me think about putting the battery regen higher for some more stopping power at speed.

@Ackmaniac I want to confirm that when using 2 VESCs connected via CANBUS, that if you change to a different MODE (e.g., a mode that limits the top speed to 10 mph) in ESC Monitor App, it will automatically write to both VESCs? For this to work properly, can you confirm what settings the following should be set to on Master vs Slave?

1. SEND CAN STATUS? true or false?
  2. MULTIPLE ESCS OVER CAN? true or false? Also when changing Modes via the app, does it matter whether you are connected to the master vs the slave? in either case, will it apply the changes to both Master and Slave?

Also, if you choose to have the mode change now become the default mode (by long pressing in the upper corner window) does this also automatically apply the change to both Master and Slave?

Finally if you switch between BLDC and FOC, does this automatically apply to both Master and Slave?

Thanks in advance for your help with this!

Thanks @Ackmaniac everything worked fine Two comments 1)I cannot input more than one digit in the max speed field. 3 is ok but not 30 for example. It worked before… 2) with two vesc, when using TCP relay (my BT module being on slave uart) Which CAN FW field is active? The one in vesc tool? The one in the app? Both? For example when can fw is activated in the mobile app, what happens when it is active in the vesc tool too?

@lrdesigns You have already a max regen of -15A for each VESC which should be high enough. Maybe it is a phenomenon of your motors that the VESC can’t detect the correct current’s at high speed.

@isabar

1. SEND CAN STATUS? true or false? Master=false, Slave = true
  2. MULTIPLE ESCS OVER CAN? true or false? Master=true, Slave= false (doesn’t matter) Also when changing Modes via the app, does it matter whether you are connected to the master vs the slave? in either case, will it apply the changes to both Master and Slave? Only when you are connected to the master. Means you need to see that realtime data of the master.

And when you overwrite the default it also needs to be connected to the master. Otherwise it only does it for the slave.

@pierres

have no explanation for that. Maybe reinstall the app

Then simply all are asking the VESC at the same time which can cause trouble. Especially during motor detection you should avoid that.

3 Likes

@Ackmaniac If you switch between BLDC and FOC, does this automatically apply to both Master and Slave?

When you send the command to the master then yes.

Hey @Ackmaniac ! Awesome tool you provide ! But i’m struggling a bit with fimwares… if you have some time to share, that’s would be nice :slight_smile:

I’m currently using “regular” vesc-tool from vedder website and i’m looking to use the watt-mode i was running on the “old” BLDC-tool Ackmaniac version 'cuz it’s was cool.

So I get “ACKMANAIC-ESC Tool 0.2” ( --> https://puu.sh/BUhBW/187758e944.png lul) but watt mode didn’t showed up, maybe I have to do some extra tweaks before using it but i can’t figure them out T-T

Can you or some other cool users help me out ? That’s would be great :wink: Thanks dudes.

The Current mode is like Watt mode. In the newer firmwares the old current mode doesn’t exist anyomre. You can regulate it by the current or by watt in the motor settings.

1 Like

Copy that ! Hey that’s was easy :slight_smile: thanks

Thanks @Ackmaniac for the advice. But it does not answer my question. I just want to know if the “Max EPRM at full brake” is totally gone from the new ESC Tool? Or if there is an equivalent setting?

I know you didn’t build the new tool, I just thought you might know why this feature is gone?

The “Max EPRM at full brake” only affected the 5 to 0 mph behaviour. I found adjusting it made the brakes very linier, as in as the speed lowered so did the brake force.

I have gotten used to the feel of the brakes in high and mid speed now with the new tool, so it’s not an issue.

1 Like