EXTENDED ACKMANIAC-ESC Tool based on VESC-Tool

Did you check if the CAN stat is 500hz and the baud rate 500k? image

Ignore the red lines…it’s a picture from other topic and the „sent via CAN“ need to be true also

I followed the instructions from this video as it explains how to set up CanBus.

The issue I have (I think) is that my firmware is not synced and I am not sure how to fix that.

I hope this makes some sense. Maybe @Ackmaniac can help out here??

But this you can check by read out the fw version of each esc. You showed above on one picture the fm of one. How about the second? If you flashed the ack. Fw on both they should be the same. Don’t understand how the versions than could be different

Hi Guys, are there any known issues on the actual Ackmaniac-Firmware in combination with the FocBox? Is it possible to change values and check telemetrie data from two Focboxes over the Canbus even if the throttle signal for each Focbox comes from a seperate PPM-receiver (one receiver for each Focbox)?

No issues at all. You can double the values in the settings yo get accurate metrics.

You know that you need to enter the ID of the other esc you want to reach via CAN? Don’t give the same ID for master and slave. Just use 0 for the master and 1 for the slave. Make sure both have the same baudrat settings.

1 Like

Hey, how do I get 3.101 instead of 3.102? Seems that 3.102 is incompatible with the standard Metr modules. EDIT: nvm, seems it’s only the modes function, which I don’t use anyway. :slight_smile:

I’ve done that. Master is 0 and slave is 1. When I go to hit Can Forward, that’s when I get a firmware error message. As I said above, I don’t have the option to select firmware 4.12, I only have the option for 60.

You haves escapes, they are hw6.0 If you load the 4.12 firmware you will broke them (you can’t use them than, only if you flash the right fw with a stl v2 link again)

Right - stupid me. So in the firmware tab, the 60 is correct then?

Edit: All sorted now. Not sure exactly what I did, or didn’t do, but i went back to default and set up each ESCape again on their own, and followed the video from @Deckoz about setting up over CanBus and it is now working. Best part is that I can now also connect via Bluetooth and make changes on the fly.

Man, am I glad that saga is now all over!!

Thank you to everyone who helped me out with this, in particular, @Andy87 and @Deckoz. You guys are awesome.

2 Likes

Nice to hear! Good that it worked out in the end! :ok_hand:

Thanks man. Now I have a battery issue. Seems like one of my cells is not balancing. I’ve sent the battery pack back for repair so it’s going to be about a fortnight at least until I can ride again. I’m very fortunate to have had my battery pack built here in Australia by someone who will provide a full warranty on their work (including the parts used).

1 Like

Just for sake of other builders interested in getting this to work, you can use the 3.102 version available and flash your vesc with the 3.101 version available at ackmaniac’s github repo (here). Done it myself and it worked!

…unfortunatly i do not receive any values from the FocBox… The wiring is ok, the App gets BT-Connction but no values are displayed. Do i need a spcial FW on the Focbox or should it work with the FW displayed on the pic below…? It´s the “normal” FW uploaded with the VESC-Tool0.95… :roll_eyes::face_with_raised_eyebrow:Unbenannt IMG_6892

Did you set the focbox to do uart? Do the baudrates match?

…yes Unbenannt2 Unbenannt1

Well does your module really use 9600bps or something else? I had mine set at 115200 for example (After fiddling with the firmware on it via AT+ commands). I also think that Vedder did some modifications to the original firmware so you obviously should check @Ackmaniac’s version to be safe. (Maybe you are already using it - I am not sure from the pic you posted). I think @Pimousse made Vedder aware that his modifications break compatibility.

The module should work - a friend uses the same with 9600bps. I am using the FW from the VESC-Tool 0.95 at the moment. Not the Ackmaniac-Version. Maybe i should try to change the FW.

Yeah change it to ack’s version and report back. If you use stock firmware on the module you should be safe with 9600bps - just wanted to rule out the possibility.

Edit: found @Pimousse post: https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/escape-cant-get-it-talking-to-arduino-via-uart/68630/4?u=maxid This might apply to the ble module as well.

2 Likes

Ok, thanks for the Information :+1: I will test the alternative FW. But if i change the FW i will loose all parameters, right?