EXTENDED ACKMANIAC-ESC Tool based on VESC-Tool

Would keeping the sensors activated through the ride, FOC mode, (and not switching off over say 2500rpm) heat up the motors or it wouldn’t matter to them?

Vedder says at higher speeds the halls signal wouldn’t be fast enough. Never tried and it works great sensorless above 2500. For 12S I recommend a higher switching frequency of 30khz which I always use. I experienced that the motors begin to vibrate with 20khz at high speeds. But it depends on the motor. Most people don’t recognize that. But when I try their boards I feel it immediately and after I told them they can hear it as well.

5 Likes

Good advice, I’ll try that tonight!

@Ackmaniac, what would it involve to create a step-assisted mode (like the slow ebikes) in your firmware? e.g. when the wheels are spinned manually (by a kick) they spin down (assisted) really long (settable by throttle) this is more or less the same as one of the commercial boards but with the difference that it won’t keep running that speed forever. as safety feature i would keep the remote control for breaking, the throttle for the amount “support”

update: I See, it is already asked for as endless mode, missed that :wink:

That mode already exists. When you press the throttle it holds the speed and braking still works. It doesn’t accelerate actively. Only difference is that it doesn’t decrease the speed over time.

Not requiring the throttle, and decreasing the speed are the key features.

To not need the throttle is of course possible but too dangerous.

Users of the mellow who are mostly new to esk8 seem to have no issue with it though. How is that dangerous?

It’s unfair to mischaracterize something as dangerous when it simply doesn’t appeal to you, or if it’s utility isn’t immediately obvious.

1 Like

Agreeing with Mike here, it’s not the same as Endless ride as Decreasing speed and not requiring throttle are critical to what the mode is. In this mode the remote should only act as a breaking device. If it was truly dangerous than you would see more reports of incidents in the Mellow Subreddit or even the ESK8 subreddit as a whole (since there’s an anti-mellow phase going on).

Edit: And there’s also the fact that to move in this mode you have kick push, I hypothesize that kickpushing on ESK8’s can prove beneficial results to range, even more so with a mode that takes advantage of it.

Would it be difficult to ramp the speed down over time?

Don’t like that the board continues alone when you fell off and loose the remote out of your hand. Next issue is how the board behaves when you push, because you have no control over it.

Lets say you start and push only one time. If the board immediately reacts to the new speed by providing power to hold the speed it would be ok. But if you want to do two pushes the board brings you out of balance when it starts powering while your foot is off to board at the haul off for the second push.

By activating cruise with the throttle it is easy to control the board and let cruise be active whenever you want it. Otherwise you need to adapt to the behavior of the board.

And it wouldn’t be difficult to ramp down over time. That’s the easiest part.

The hardest part is to find a good soft ramping when the board starts powering to hold your current speed. But finally i don’t want the board to continue holding the speed when you felt off and lost the remote. So you need to pull the trigger to activate cruise control. And by this you can shortly release the trigger when you push and pull it again at your new speed.

2 Likes

Why not pull the brake to let it stop. Hold the throttle to allow the board to accelerate. Acceleration is based on how much you push. It decelerates at a specific rate.

This feature has been discussed over and over in this thread and others many times. I’m fine with you never putting it in. Maybe some day someone more enthusiasm will come along and make a new firmware that everyone will love and will include it. If not, it’s not the end of the world.

@mikenyc There is no need to take digs at @Ackmaniac. He has volunteered his time, and a lot of it, to everyone here. We should be thankful for the features his firmware includes and not mad for what it doesn’t.

4 Likes

My remarks are not to be interpreted as digs toward @Ackmaniac. I’m simply pointing out that the subject has been debated ad nauseam with the same questions and the same responses.

1 Like

Yup, exactly … we can’t have it all. I can’t imagine every single change request being completed without adequate need for it.

the need, or desire, rather has been expressed by many

Did you ever try the “PID Speed Control No Acceleration” mode?

I will not because it does not decline in speed. What is the point of pushing up to speed on foot if you can not come back down to a speed that you are comfortable pushing at again

I tried it and it’s fun! But it’s a different kind of fun. There are some quirks that make it interesting when changing the PID values, such as increasing the values to lock you in and pumping off of the cruise control to go faster and reengaging it at the faster speed over and over… It’s easy to get going way too fast this way real quick… But it’s just not the same.

I could see lower values working well with a pure push and coast down mode as it wouldn’t jerk you around so much as the higher values.

1 Like