EXTENDED ACKMANIAC-ESC Tool based on VESC-Tool

Normally you do that once and that’s it. Of course it could be done via the app but i am not really interested. And as you said it could be done via the App with a TCP connection. Maybe in the future.

it just would create a simpler interface to do everything via the app. yes the app is great, but why not take it to the next level…

An easier approach for him might be to setup an Android build environment for his ESC tool. I might end up doing this just for ttheheck of it. I quit mid setup because I figured out the app could do what I wanted, I just had the wrong settings in the app that prevented me from changing modes. Having the full ESC tool on Android I’d pretty cool, then you can do a TCP connection from there directly to the app via 127.0.0.1 all on the same device, no extra work required besides setting up Android compilation.

1 Like

can you someone post a link to where VESC-TOOL 3.102 for windows can be downloaded?

Hi, i am having a Problem while breaking downhill and i think it is related to riding faster than my setup is capable.

I did my Motor setup right and have been riding the board >200km. Running in FOC on a single focbox 10s4p 30Q’s // 200kv APS motor //normaly the board tops on ~40km/h fully charged // battery min -15A // bestech BMS charge/discharge 20/80A

I was riding 41km/h downhill and wanted to brake slightly but they were super strong and cut out immediately. I tried it 3 times more and it was the same behavior. After the incident i checked the logs and the battery min was -24,5A

So my question is how is it possible for the vesc to break on -24,5A while the setting was on -15A

Thanks in advanceScreenshot_20180625-213250Screenshot_20180625-215249

1 Like

Well hard to tell a i see that the first time. Maybe you were going faster than your topspeed you could reach with 95% duty cycle. Could be that the board board acts strange in this situation. But please also check in the app settings that you didn’t accidently st the number of motors to 2.

If you could provoke that situation again and make a video with the app(would be enough when you leave the phone in your pocket). Maybe you can also share your log file to investigate a bit better.

2 Likes

This issue resulted in me breaking my foot a few weeks ago. Still not sure how I can make this more well known among new builders. Posted on the vesc-project forum and ppl said well don’t go faster than your boards top speed then. (apparently theres not really a lot to be done) I think a very soft auto braking feature would be nice when you go near and above your top speed. @chaka said you should just continue holding your throttle on 100% then your speed will be limited to your board’s max speed even when going downhill. I have not tested this yet because my foot is not fully healed but in the vesc-project forum nobody said it was a bad idea. You are at least the third person reporting this phenomenon so by now I am finally sure I wasn’t just imagining things. I’ll post into the wiki at least.

1 Like

It only happens on some setups/vescs/firmwares dunno. Frank from @trampa actually tested this on his board and said he was able to brake normally without any issues.

My first thoughts were that the BMS is cutting off but then there should be at least an over voltage/any fault. But the breaks were super strong even on the slightest throttle move…

@Ackmaniac i was certainly faster than 95% duty and number of Motors is set to 1 and here is the Logfile. I can try to ride the hill again but only in 2 weeks when i’m home again

I will also try @koralle / @chaka 's hint holding the throttle at 100%

Just had a look at the logs and it happened when you had more than 95% duty cycle. In that moment the vesc tried to apply 95% which resulted in a voltage difference that leaded to the higher brake current. My advice, change your gearing so that it doesn’t happen again.

1 Like

There’s also another option when going downhill, at least the one I prefer. I just keep braking very slightly, just to hear the motor hum, it doesn’t do much speed wise but allows me to go around 50kmh (10S, 2,25 ratio on 80mm kegels) and and still have very smooth brakes. I’m not comfortable to go faster so this method should might only work up to this speed.

Has anyone managed to run this on a MAC? Any tips on where can i find a pre-compiled version or the instructions for compiling it myself?

1 Like

You have to download QT and compile from there

I have ran this on a macbook pro I did the firmware update and it made my mac freeze after it was done and had to force quit the program but didnt hurt the focboxes. My mac has a samsung solid state and 10 gb of ram

I believe this is for the mac version as well

:thinking:

1 Like

As you can see in the picture when instructing the motor to spin “forward” the motor current locks at around 30-35 A. When the motor is instructed to go in reverse, then the motor amps stay consistent with the amps used and continues to increase until over current issues arise. When this happens, reverse feels EXTREMELY POWERFUL, like as if my skateboard had a rocket attached to it (maybe that’s how my build is supposed to feel?). I have fixed the overcurrent issue, this issue opened up an error in my foc programming that was fixed. I am still using foc if that could have anything to do with it. Running 12s2p with an Ollin Board Co ESC v1.1.

Any idea is appreciated.

My board is a little slow to accelerrate, so I would love to utilize whatever is happening in reverse.

Screenshot_2018-06-28-21-25-41 Clean Graph: Screenshot_2018-06-28-21-25-31

I’m getting:

“L is 0. Please measure it first” when runing FOC detection.

Has anyone got this issue sorted on the latest 3.102 FW?

1 Like

Damn I thought that bug was fixed a while ago. You sure you have the newest version?

1 Like

Yes, I do. I tried BLDC mode as well and I can’t detect the motor, I’m getting a bad detection error now. So it wasn’t the sotware but the ESC

2 Likes

Sorry to hear that, I hope you get it worked out. Would you please let us know if (WHEN) you figure out the issue? Best of luck

1 Like