EXTENDED ACKMANIAC-ESC Tool based on VESC-Tool

20180622_221814

no buton for failsafe but maybe a rebind gonna work , i will try

I am trying to get a better understanding of when watt-hour data gets rezeroed on the VESC and on the app. I know that every time the VESC is power cycled, the displayed DISTANCE and WATT-HOUR data on the app are rezeroed. However, I noticed that the estimated remaining RANGE seems to use WATT-HOUR data that is not rezeroed when board is power cycled. This is a good thing, because obviously you may turn off your board mid-ride and not want to lose that data.

So my questions:

1. When is Watt-hour data actually rezeroed (regardless of what’s displayed on the app)? Is it when battery voltage is let’s say about 41.9V (an indication that a 10S battery has been fully charged)?

2. Since the consumed Watt-hour data seems to be saved after powercyling the board (as indicated by remaining range), why are you not displaying this non-zeroed data in the app? It would be nice if the app showed remaining battery capacity based on remaining Watt-hour (not voltage as it does now which is a lot less accurate). In other words, let’s say you define the pack as having 100 Watt-hours in the app, and you have consumed 25 watt-hours, then the app should show that you have 75% battery left. and this data should not be lost or rezeroed upon powercycling. The only time that this data should be rezeroed is when battery voltage goes above let’s say 41.9V (indicating the battery has been fully charged).

Please consider these changes to the VESC firmware/ app, as it would make the battery gauge a lot more accurate. Is there any reason this hasn’t been implemented already? @Ackmaniac

after rebinding your remote, when you pull the bind plug out of the receiver, it will use that state as the failsafe, so adjust the white knob (labeled TH trim) on the remote and be sure the motor is not moving or braking, and then pull out the bind plug and this state will be remembered as the failsafe. you can verify this by turning the remote off and making sure the motor doesn’t move or brake.

Yes thanks l already done it l forgot to reply . for your battery board gauge if you want a device more accurate device use wattmeter like me and you can disconnect the side load when you want to cut power and the lcd come with a led so its very nice at night also and give perfectly the real amount of mah used of the battery! And watt hour. Time rided . voltage , and only used the ackmaniac app for set my speed or power…1529734416465106082392820180623_021226

Yes I have used that kind before, but that particular couloumeter also loses all data upon powercycling. anyway the VESC has the ability to report the same data and why add additional hardware, if the VESC can do it all? just need to change the firmware/app to report this data.

i think it’s a hardware limitation not the app limitation ,for now i trust the old school way with this wattmeter lol ,

P_20180623_081140P_20180623_081151P_20180623_081204P_20180623_081257I’m using your firmware for vesc 4.12 (3.102)

anyway its fun on the go, much more smoother on 3.102 sensorless motor but the app no keeping the data when i do the power cycling and bugging like crazy if i use gps data i am not complaint here because ackmaniac is working thousand of hours to fixing update and bug

You are not connected to the master via the app. In the settings of the app you can select if you want to connect via CAN to another vesc. So if the module is connected to the slave you need to connect via CAN to the master. If the module is already connected to the master then disable that checkbox.

Screenshot_20180623-114530

1 Like

I only have 1 vesc and the CA N box is unchecked. It appears that I can read all the data but cant change any if the parameters

Which firmware do you use? If you use mine then please check that “Send CAN Status” is disabled. image

Its yours 3.102. the box is unchecked however the “Can status rate” shows 100Hz. The Baud rate is the same as yours at 500k. Could this be the problem?

1 Like

Also I am using adc and uart as scooter has a throttle. Could there be a conflict issue?

1 Like

That’s the problem. The mode changes only work with NRF, Nunchuk and PPM. I never tested with ADC so i also didn’t enable mode changes for ADC.

Thank you. Really grateful for your fast responses. At least I know the problem now. I will just change settings with usb.

If you are interesting in testing mode changes whilst adc is enabled I would be happy to use my setup and report back on my experiences?

You can also connect with the PC to the vesc via the app.

That is cool. Just tried it now. I successfully changed parameters without using usb. Thanks for the advice.

Its really useful so when kids are on it I can restrict top speed and acceleration. However, when adults want to play I can make things more fun without having to plug in.

Is there a reason you don’t just integrate the ability to change all parameters/do motor detection via the app directly? The TCP feature is really nice, but seems like the slam dunk would be to have it all done via the app.

1 Like

It believe you can if you have metr.at app and module. Don’t know about ackmaniac’s app. Not a problem imo, how many times you do motor detection?