EXTENDED ACKMANIAC-ESC Tool based on VESC-Tool

Works now. Thanks again dude!!!

where did you get windowa 7? do i need cd or iso? microsoft only has windows 10 for free and it seems like bootcamping it is easierā€¦

Hereā€™s a version of 3.102 compiled for you linux users out there.

https://github.com/task650/ackmaniac_esc_tool_linux/blob/master/Version_3.102_Linux/ACKMANIAC-ESC-Tool_Linux

P.S- I totally forgot to set the permissions to executable before upload so just right click it, go to properties, select permissions tab, and then check the Allow executing as a program box. Or just run from terminal like I do. :wink:

1 Like

Sent you a PM.

I scanned the whole thread - and found only one mention of VESC 6.

So I am unsure if i could fry my VESC 6. Does it work on VESC?

Should work. Donā€™t use the Cruise via secondary channel for PPM remotes with the VESC 6 (2nd channel connected to slave to give the Cruise control command). Because the ground loops can brake the VESC 6 Hardware. 4.12 Hardware seems to be fine with it. But not many use this feature anyway (I love it).

2 Likes

Thanks for the prompt answer. I am riding eMTB - no cruise control needed. Just nice WATT mode wanted.

Gruss aus HH!

Moin Moin :hamburger:

1 Like

Hi, one question itā€™s possible to check for DRV faults on slave vesc while I am connecte to ACKMANIAC-ESC Tool via TCP with your app? I am able to read nad write, detect the slave parameters, I was just wonering whether itā€™s also possible to detect faults? the problem is that since 2 weeks the board acts a bit weird, Sometimes I feel like half of the power is gone and then suddenly it comes back. Tnx

Do you plan to integrate the BLE feature of Roman for the Metr Pro Module?

It would also be a great feature for the FW update process to first copy the settings of each VESC and than restore the settings back. motor and app :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Soo, I have been trying for some time to get this linux version up and running.

The normal vesc tool is just a download and then it works, this one however keeps asking for a lot of libraries, mostly from QT.

Since i had a 32bit ubuntu for some legacy reason, i started with getting 64bit debian, then getting QT, then it wanted the newest 2.27 libc thats not in stable in debian so i switched the sources to buster, the testing branch. then itā€™s wanting some plugin, xkc? xkb? Was going about looking for that one when i also was running an upgrade to the buster repo and somehow the installation got messed up so i had to start over. So i feel pretty done with messing with that, any thoughts on this? I was thinking maybe iā€™ll just try compiling it myself

Update: So testing @b264 version i got the same results, could start it without problem but got ā€œQMetaObject::connectSlotsByName: No matching signal for on_actionESCToolChangelog_triggered() QObject::connect: No such signal Commands::nrfPairingRes(int) QObject::connect: (receiver name: ā€˜nrfPairā€™) Segmentationfaultā€ on trying to connect.

So i started with nothing and i got most of it left!

Update again: Alright, so i managed to compile it at it all works now! Man i wish that i would have started with this instead hahaā€¦ well, hopefully i learned something

The last version I made didnā€™t work for me, either. If you make one that works, you should post to github and link from here :wink:

Iā€™ve built a version for Mac, however the release folder contains a bunch of header files. Can I share the compiled application without having to include all of those files? @Ackmaniac

The license says the source code must be included or available upon request. So unless you want to provide a way to get it, itā€™s easier to include it. Header files are source code.

Yeah, I donā€™t know if itā€™ll run on an environment other than my own.

Well, here ya go:

Itā€™s a mess for now, but the compiled binary is in the release folder. i really, really, really hate git for ā€œquick uploadsā€! Fucking melts my brain, just upload the damn files!!

I was looking at a static linked version, i guess thats what the original vesc tool does? since itā€™s so much bigger and does not ask for any files? I think i could do one of those but itā€™s probably not right according to any open source licenses so i didnā€™t try it.

Edit: If you try it, tell me if it works :slight_smile: I might try to maintain a somewhat stable linux version since i want one for myself aswell, and sharing that with others is always fun. Should be simpler also to get it working for others than my own luck trying to get it running!

1 Like

Trying out PID no accelerationā€¦ I select the mode from the BT app, but it doesnā€™t seem to change to the mode I select, or at least behave like I would expect PID no acceleration to workā€¦ It just works like current mode regardless. Changing modes works otherwise.

Do I need to configure PID mode in ESC Tool before being able to select it in the app?

Once configured (assuming thatā€™s why it doesnā€™t work), can I still swap between PID no acceleration and regular current mode in the app?

Did you write the changes?

I looked through the tool, but for now I donā€™t want to change from current to PID no acceleration in ppm tab, since I prefer current control as my primary. I only tried to make the changes in the BT app, to PID no acceleration from current control.

Since this didnā€™t work, I will mess around with my ppm settings and ppm mapping tomorrow, and see if changing PID no acceleration to my primary and switching to current control in the BT app will work instead of vice versa.

Edit: I just tried changing to PID no accelerationā€¦ itā€™s sweet! Iā€™d love the option to change to this on the flyā€¦ But changing to current control mode in the app doesnā€™t work, I am stuck with only PID no acceleration- unable to change back to current control. PPM mapping for current control and PID no acceleration seem to be exactly the same in the ESC tool on PC, so any changes there donā€™t have any effect.

This might have more to do with the ESC Monitor app at this pointā€¦ I think I may have found an indication of the problem: Inside the top left box in ESC Monitor (the mode box), I am pretty sure it normally indicates what mode you are in- such as current, current no reverse, Duty, PID, PID no Acceleration, or disabled. No matter what I set my modes to in the ESC Monitor app, when I select the modes iā€™ve setup (regardless of control mode), the box always just reverts to disabled, while seeming to default to whatever control mode iā€™ve set in ESC tool on the PC, while watt limits, amps, etc all take effect just fine. Maybe if I just disable control modes on the computer, the app will allow me to select a control mode? Iā€™ll have to try this tomorrow, itā€™s getting late. Regardless, if I remember correctly, I think the ESC Monitor app used to show the control mode type in the mode screen instead of always saying ā€œDisabledā€ and reverting to the control mode type from ESC tool.

Edit 2: Disabling control modes in ESC Tool made no difference, must be the appā€¦ going to make a post there with more details.

@skatardude10 Looks like you are connected to the slave via the app. If the module is physically connected to the master then you enabled the option in the app to connect to the slave via CAN. If the module is physically connected to the slave then you need to enable the option in the app to connect via CAN. Ppm mode changes only work for the master while current and watt limits can be overwritten also for the slave.

3 Likes