EXTENDED ACKMANIAC-ESC Tool based on VESC-Tool

Has anyone tried to update to Ackmaniac’s firmware over TCP? I have like million screws to unscrew which I would happily do if this would be an alternative to unscrewing my vescs.

I have noticed that the evolve style motors have very weak hall sensor outputs. The VESC uses 2.2 kOhm Pullup resistors, which is typical but too strong for some hall sensors, causing a hall sensor low output to actually look high. For a low to be read as a low, it typically has to be less than 0.6V (on a 3.3V system). For those types of motors, either run sensorless, or hybrid and you should be ok.

When you want to run in sensored, watch how your motor behaves during detection. If it spins up fine at first, then stutters at the end, rise the duty higher until it works. Play a bit with the detection values. It should work if you play around a bit. Sometimes it helps if you just reconnect everything new and restart the vesc.

If you want, post a video of the failed detection and we try to help you out what you can change to make it work.

I mostly get them to work, but i also had a few that doesn´t, no matter what i tried :neutral_face:

I’m having issues trying to connect vesc monitor to all my boards via hm10 since last update, is there anything I missed, didn’t want to open the enclosures.

@ackmaniac on a previous post you said it was too difficult to detect the correct ERPM when the motors were spinning at almost dead stops, so the motors went into full brake throwing you forward. Would it possible to never go into full brake by instructing the ESC to a constant value of 1km/hr when the ERPM reads zero, so it doesn’t go into full brake?

2 Likes

Some folks don’t like putting their feet down at red lights

It could go into full brake after 1 second of detecting 0 km/hr, not right away which is where the the brakes lock.

1 Like

i do both.

i also feel like my boards are inconsistent in how they brake at a red light. either they’re fully locked until i let go, or they sort of have some free roll while stopped

I have noticed that if I am rolling backwards, I can’t accelerate forward. Is there a setting that controls this?

I understand your idea but that won’t work. Issue is that the VESC looses tracking of the motor. You can force the motor to roll with exactly 1km/h. But if the Motor isn’t at exactly that speed then you have the same stutter like at start up with a sensorless motor.

Which control mode do you use? And does the motor stutter when you try to go forward while going backwards?

I am using current control with reverse (hybrid sensored). actually I realize what’s happening. When you roll backwards and try to accelerate forward, it actually brakes. so the only way to get going forward again is to kick push and then accelerate. it would be nice if below a certain speed, it would actually try to accelerate and not brake. otherwise you have to kick-push to get going… @Ackmaniac

Also, I could be wrong, but it seems like on the latest version of VESC Monitor (v1.94), when trying to switch to FOC, it doesn’t actually switch. Can you check this? Also, it would be nice if the app actually shows whether you are in BLDC of FOC mode. Right now, you can’t be sure

@Ackmaniac

Please try to set the control mode “Current no reverse with brake” and tell me if it works as expected?

I have installed firmware yesterday, works almost the same as original just several points I noticed:

• Much better start up sequence doesn’t throw of the board
  • Hill climbs at lower speeds are like nothing even without full throttle
  • It works much better on acceleration/braking compared to original as on original I even use throttle mapping.
2 Likes

same issue with “Current no reverse with brake”

I mean the acceleration while going backwards.

yes, same issue with “Current no reverse with brake” . When rolling backwards, and trying to accelerate forwards, it brakes, but doesn’t accelerate. you need to kick push forward to get it to accelerate forward.

hey guys, i was working on ym board i tried to do the detection.

Motor 1, everything runs fine… Motor 2 [RL] test ok, Lambda test: no movement… Hall Sensor detection is fine. i changed the order of the motorcables to the vesc… with no result. Motor 2 runs, but i have the feeling not optimal…

Do you have an idea what i could be.

Is there a way to setup your timeout behavior with a nano-x controller or am I just SOL because of it its autobind?

@Ackmaniac, Can you provide a link to where the .bin firmware file for FW 3.101 (For hardware 4.12) can be downloaded? I am having a problem upgrading firmware via VESC-TOOL, so I want to try via ST-Utility.