EXTENDED ACKMANIAC-ESC Tool based on VESC-Tool

@Ackmaniac Would be a good idea to put the compiled application for macos/windows/linux in the github repo’s releases. It would make it easier for people to find the version/OS they need if they don’t know how to compile the source code themselves.

Example project with releases: https://github.com/facebook/zstd/releases

So you have not gone down hill faster than your boards can go on your workbench?

@lazopm one million likes to you, sir. This would make things a lot easier all the way around if everyone used standard open-source workflows.

It’s diff for each platform though. Seems that I have to write a config file to create a pkg for Mac. I would have published it for everyone, but I also don’t think it’s great to have a bunch of stray unofficial builds floating around.

Please have a look again if the issue still exists with version 1.91?

If you used the 0.82 and 3.101 versions of the ESC Tool and the BLDC firmware then I wouldn’t call it an “unofficial build” if it’s the code @Ackmaniac made. If you changed the code that matters, then probably yeah.

still have the problem in 1.91 … and yes I did change the app setting to “do not optimize” for battery life. Is that what you wanted me to try? Basically if the VESC is turned off while the app is open, the app freezes and when you turn the VESC back on, it doesn’t recover. you need to kill the app and open it again, which is obviously not ideal

Yes, I agree, in theory this shouldn’t happen, but if you have hills or a long slope and don’t Monitor your Speed constantly… you should be able to rely on your breaks to slow you down … But this should maybe go into the vesc forum…

Does it happen in the firmware in 2.18? because that’s what i’m using on production boards still.

@jayx is running version 3.x on his 13S build. Maybe he can chime in here since he keeps blowing shit up and streeting his face. I’m too old for that shit, and most of my customers are total noobs or don’t understand any kind of unexpected weirdness.

2 Likes

@Ackmaniac the wax tool gets locked up on macs when updating firmware and must be force quit. Plus now my motor that was detected by bloc tool is not being detected. How can this happen?

@koralle depends on your set up. If I did that I would be leaving red skidmarks on the pavements. In BLDC mode it never happens. But it happens very often in some of my FOC set ups.

These sound like the words of a software engineer

2 Likes

Sorry for the likely dumb question, but I couldn’t find it by searching…

Which hardware version and firmware version should I be flashing on my focbox?

The FOCBOX is based on the 4.12 Hardware.

4 Likes

Hardware version: 410, 411, 412

Firmware Version: Should only be default. Choose the one default. Correct me if i’m wrong.

Ah Ackmaniac got it first.

4 Likes

Thanks guys. I’m familiar with VESCs and the previous version of the tool but this is my first time with focbox and this new tool.

Does motor detection need to be totally smooth? When I put in detection config values from the old tool (6.0a, 600erpm, 0.05), I get successful detection but the second part of detection sounds rough. I’ve never seen detection sound like that. On stock firmware with the stock tool and the phase wires plugged into the same motor wires, everything is super smooth.

Try raise duty to 0.07 or 0.10. Use a short usb cable as well. Had the same issue on the second part of detection. This fixed it for me

I recommend a duty cycle of 0.15. Then it runs smooth.

3 Likes

I did a detection today, first time failed. Raised duty to 0.10 - failed. 0.13 worked and everything was buttersmooth👍

2 Likes

That did the trick. Thanks!