EXTENDED ACKMANIAC-ESC Tool based on VESC-Tool

Problem is this is not common knowledge and it has already broken one foot. Is there any way to implement autobraking when speed is higher than system max?

Bad idea. Means it auto brakes at any time while you are accelerating or free coasting. Was like that in the old versions when you accelerated. If you ask me then the components of your system donā€™t fit to your way of riding. And itā€™s not sure that this was the reason for the broken foot. And it should be addressed in the vesc-project forum.

But in theory you should not reach higher speeds than your motor can achieve on the bench when it spins freely. Because the BEMF (voltage of motor) will be higher than the voltage of the Battery and in this case it can only work as a generator which leads to braking. There is physically not much you can do if you ask me.

2 Likes

Okay. I will do some more research on this. Had not given it any thought tbh. I was gunning down hill at almost 50 and my boards top propulsion speed is 46.6 at full battery. Battery was almost empty at 3.1V

If nothing can be done about this, it should be made super well known to all eskate builders. I also think auto braking is a bad idea. I would prefer completely deactivating braking to just locking the wheels.

Edit: Actually really smooth auto braking to limit your downhill speed to max motor speed would be perfect now that I think about it.

3 Likes

When I mentioned autobraking I meant that you cannot go higher than vesc max RPM which should be rather easily implemented as VESC is constantly monitoring motor position through BEMF it should be possible to detect when wheel rotation count is approaching highest for configured voltage and not allow to go beyond that speed by engaging braking with deceleration curve twice or triple times as long as acceleration one (2-3 times less steep). We wouldnā€™t even need place to add wheel diameter or gearing ratio to calculate real speed as it would only need max motor RPM count for selected battery voltage.

1 Like

Canā€™t you do that by keeping your throttle engaged?

3 Likes

Am I right in my findings that you cannot connect via bluetooth from a desktop computer?

Ehm thanks man I wish I had stumbled upon that post earlier. It should be pinned in the beginner thread actually.

So does this actually charge the battery? If so then what happens if min battery A is hit?

Hows the risk of frying your focbox while doing this?

How is this issue tackled by professional boards like ollin, boosted, @longhairedboy etc?

2 Likes

Still having issues with the VESC MONITOR (V1.89) crashing/freezing when the VESC is turned off.
Galaxy S6 (Android 7.0). Tried it on other phones as well. Same issue. @ackmaniac

If this can be fixed it would be great!

What happens when you suddenly press full throttle while already going faster than your boards max speed? Will that also gently slow you down?

When I do this on my sensored board it just ignores the input basically

When the app crashes you are asked of you want to send the error report. Please do so.

I did send the error report

Please do me a favour and send it again. And please make sure that you have the latest version 1.89. Because the issue that i think wa reported by you is reported for version 1.88 and in 1.89 that problem should be solved.

For my app crashes after rebooting my board, I just do a quick force stop shortcut and start it back up again and Iā€™m back up and running quickly.

If I donā€™t have to do this with the new versions, this would be even nicer than this awesome app already is. :sunglasses:

I donā€™t ship boards with firmware that has fried things until i can test it and make it not fry things. Unfortunately i donā€™t have a ton of time for testing new stuff, especially things as complex as new firmware before shipping it out to people with little experience in that department, so iā€™m still on older releases.

The described issue also happens in older releases in all versions.

1 Like

Can you please check following scenario, preferably on some low speed setup? If what we suspect is true this is problem for all firmware versions. @koralle is pretty sure that is what broken his foot.

There has been few comments stating that you shouldnā€™t go freely above your system RPM but for me itā€™s just a design flaw. I want to be able to go down with no motor hum, and safely use brakes.

1 Like

Thanks for the update dude. Works great as expected! Your app has actually saved me quite a few times now!

2 Likes