EXTENDED ACKMANIAC-ESC Tool based on VESC-Tool

This might be a stupid question, but if I’d want to have a mode that’s using only one motor, would that be possible (and safe for the vesc) by adjusting settings in the app? Like maybe setting batt and motor max to zero but still having it connected and powered on?

If so, could one use two motors for braking, setting batt and motor min values, but using only one motor for acceleration?

:grin:

If you press back multiple times it will close out correctly, but I get the same freeze when I click the disconnect button, and have to force close to get it running again.

Closing from the switcher when you have continual notification on doesn’t work, when happens when you hit disconnect, have to force close

Wouldn’t try. It also doesn’t make sense to use only one motor. It should be more efficient to run 2 instead of one if both need to move anyway. Because then they run with half current and that means lower heat losses.

1 Like

Under certain circumstances it could make sense to run with one motor if there was some sort of malfunction happening and you were trying to get back home.

Also one thing I don’t understand why it hasn’t been integrated in the VESC firmware: Right now, every time you powercycle the board, the Watt-hour, Amp-hour, and distance data is lost (rezeroed). To make a useful battery gauge, that data should be stored in non-volatile EEPROM (on the VESC ST Microcontroller), and only rezeroed either via the app or whenever the voltage of the battery gets above let’s say 41.0V (for 10S pack), which indicates that the board has been recharged (just like when you rezero your trip odometer on your car after filling your tank with gas). Please try to implement this in the VESC firmware and App as it will make the battery gauge a lot more useful. @Ackmaniac

1 Like

@ackmaniac sorry to bring this back again, but is there a fix for this issue? Problem does not happen in BLDC

2 Likes

@Eboosted Could you please describe that a little more? That sounds like a desirable feature, not a bug. I’m confused

What exactly is happening?

If you run FOC whenever you are braking and are approaching to a dead stop, let’s say 2km/hr, the brakes lock themselves at full brake and you get thrown forward.

This doesn’t happen on BLDC mode.

1 Like

If you can adjust the speed the stop happens at, that sounds fucking fantastic for waiting at a red electric traffic signal. No more throttle, brake, roll back, throttle, brake, roll back, throttle, brake, roll back, throttle, brake, roll back

1 Like

I have the same happening on regular firmware. When approaching to full stop speed wise the wheels blocks itself fully. It doesn’t block the wheels when your speed is zero and you have full brake engaged.

1 Like

Doesn’t happen to me in unsensored FOC on FOCBOX’es :slight_smile: ackmaniac v3.101

It is the normal behavior. At slow speed the VESC can’t detect the speed of the motor and does a full short when braking. It really depends on your motor at which speed that happens. That’s the reason some notice it and some not. My firmware mod does the same as the original when it comes o this behavior. With sensored motors it is much better. And it also depends on how many cells in series your battery has. Because at braking below 3% duty cycle the VESC will go into that block. And with a 12S battery that happens at 20% higher speed then for a 10S Battery.

3 Likes

Thanks for explanation. I have one more problem (regular firmware), braking related. I tested it on 6S which happened to be safer thing to do. When I go downhill freely and speed is higher than highest speed setup can go and try to break slowly it’s rapidly slowing to max speed setup allows. I was lucky that I discovered this while going 30kmh and braking slowed me rapidly to like 26kmh (max with 6S) and I managed to keep myself on a deck. Is this how things work, even on your firmware?

This might actually be how I broke my foot 2 weeks ago. I was pondering the whole time wtf happened and decided I must have jerked the lever too hard because I wasn’t concentrating but it sure didnt feel that way at the time… Board locked up at around 45-50kmh and left me chewing asphalt.

Sorry to hear that! I believe that problem occurs because of set voltage limits, vesc has max set and it starts decelerating with calculated presets which is basically precalculated ERPM. I hope that this can be somehow overriden.

and here me who cant even hold still with brakes on 1% incline… But I guess it’s only because of 5:1 gearbox

P.S. Would be possible to implement something like hold up like if the board rolls back to apply small throttle to hold it still or etc?

That was only the case in the old firmwares that started with a 2 like 2.18 or 2.54. In the new ones that start with a 3 that shouldn’t be the case anymore.

This happend on HW6.4 based Escape, can’t check FW version now

Well also not sure what happens when you go faster than the speed of your battery voltage and motor kv. Think you shouldn’t design your system like that when you know you can reach higher speeds.