EXTENDED ACKMANIAC-ESC Tool based on VESC-Tool

I myself haven’t been able to test that since I’m running unsensored. Maybe a issue with the wires themselves? Or missing chips on the vescs? Configured uncorrectly? Lots of factors to be taken into account…

Indeed. I was already surprise that for one worked immidiately. On the bench you see the difference at the start. With sensor is way smoother but otherwise I will use it sensorless

1 Like

Often it works when you switch the direction of the motor by switching 2 phase wires. That’s because of badly placed sensors. If that also doesn’t work then the sensors could be broken. Also have one motor where all sensors don’t work. Can be testen by checking the voltage at a signal wire of the sensor with a multimeter. Should show 3.3v and 0v depending on the actual magnet position. Just search on YouTube for checking hall sensor signals.

2 Likes

Thanks, super useful as usual.

I have a question am sure someone here with more experience can help me , I downloaded ackmaniac tool for my 4wd carvon all 4 vesc go get reverse now heres my problem after downloading and setting it up, my previous settings before ackmaniac were Motor max: 60 Motor min regen -40 Battery max :32 Battery min (regen): -6 It felt pretty good I would be at 65% throttle and and around 35mph After installed I changed up a bit Motor max : 65 Motor min regen -45 Battery max :35 Battery min (regen): -6 Now am around 80% throttle and berly around 32mph Things that I think are the culprit , I never did the remote test on the new bldc I just transfers those settings feels the same but not sure Ran foc detection with wheels on but did the same thing with previous bldc ? Any thoughts guys Using wat for reverse My build Carvon 4wd 12s6p 30q 4 focbox foc mode

I was under the impression that it’s better to not even have a pulley on.

That is because you were using the normal current control. In my firmware mod current control works like watt control.

In the original firmware the problem is that the board does full power at higher speeds even when you only pull the trigger 50%. In my firmware 50% trigger only does 50% power. By this you have more control over the board because you can control the power much better. I explained this in more detail here

1 Like

I think am going to revert back to non ackmaniac only wanted because reverse function but having a reverse effect from more control at higher speeds to having control at lower speeds but not reaching top speed

Pull the trigger simply more to reach full speed.

3 Likes

Hi! So at the end I went for BLDC sensorless. Indeed with your throttle curve I see an big improve at low speed (all the test on bench at the moment). I got the Bluetooth today and I install it… The app is crazy! Its possible to set almost everything. Here a screen shoot at max speed. Two question is it normal that I reach 95% of duty at most? Secondly the top speed measured is only 24km/h, is it realist? Thx

AH almost forgot about it. When you make new modes is the one at the top that would be in use? If not how can I select which mode to use?

I installed firmware 3.1 today! Can’t wait to try it out! I have some issues using ackmaniac app, drops out alot. Could be cuz I use the metr module.

You should go to the settings and adjust the Drive Gear Setup to enter the amount of motor magnets, Wheel size (diameter) Wheel pulley teeth and Motor pulley teeth. by that i can calculate the speed. A hint, a normal 6374 motor or 6355 has 14 Magnets. Duty cycle of 95% is the maximum a VESC with hardware 4.x can reach. After you created modes you can select them by clicking on the mode box which will open a popup window where you can select one of your modes.

image When it shows default then it is the mode which is stored on the VESC. When you want that one of your modes becomes the new default then you have to click long on the mode box and a popup window will appear which asks you to set the currently active mode as the new default. You can even swith between FOC and BLDC of you made the motor detection for both modes.

2 Likes

Got it for the modes I will try it. For the drive set up I did it. I have dual hub motor (the one from DIYeboard, like meepo hubs). Now I am not sure it was correct.

Checked some pictures in the internet and it seems the Meepo hubs only have 20 magnets. But not sure if i looked at the right motor. You should try to find out or count by yourself.

2 Likes

Ok thx I will check. So just to understand how it is calculate the speed in the app? I mean not the potential but the live streaming one. I thought it is based on the RPM.

So I tried again the mode switch and indeed it’s super easy :+1:. 1- During the motor wizard in the ESC Tool the max W was automatically set at 15000 (in order to disable it). Therefore the max watt would be calculated based on the max battery (25A in my case), Is it correct? 2- Now in the app by swithcing modes we can set the max watt that replaces the 15000 default one. For instance in my case 25A 37 = 925w. Is it correct to do that or it’s better to leave 15000? In my mind the throttle curve is set based on the max watt so If I choose 15000, the VESC will try to reach 15000 at full throttle meaning it would ask at most 925w already at 6.17% of the throttle curve [(935100)/15000]. SI it correct? Sorry for all the question but I really like it and I would like to understand it better. 3- I checked for the number of poles, someone said that we have to introduce the number of pair poles ( so half of the total), but in my case if I put 14 is like 72Kmh, with 28 56Kmh and so on… In all the case a get 24Kmh max speed… Not really clear this point.

1 Like

In this version of the firmware it will be either limited by the current or by the watts. But i recommend to set the battery max to the max your battery or VESC can handle and the watts to finetune the power output. So in your case battery max rto 30A (3P * 20A / 2Motors) and then set the watts to whatever you want. So 1080 should be max fpor yoiur battery and 2 Motors. If you want less power simply change the watts. If you want less power at low speeds you should change motor max.

1 Like

Ah ok now I got it. So basically it takes the limited factor as the max level. It can be either current or watt. Ok I will do it. My bms has costant discharge current of 60A so probably better to limit a bit the watt to do not run it at the max level, although it will drain 30A just in case of sever hills and not always so it shouldn’t be a problem. If I change the parameter in the app does it change it also for the other VESC connect by canbus or do I have to connect the vesc to the vesc tool separately to change the motor max and battery max? Thx you very much.

You have to connect the app to the master. So if your Bluetooth module is connected to the master it is fine. If connected to the slave you can tell the app to connect to the master via CAN. So when you change settings on the master it automatically updates all slaves over CAN.

1 Like

My app is connected to the master and the two VESC are connect over CAN so I just need to change it in the app and it will be updated to the slave too. Is it correct? Just as confirmation. Concerning the measured speed it only reads 24kmh, I hope that it is not the real one, otherwise my setup is crap :joy: