Expected Range realistic?

How about 12s with lowered gearing and limited Amps through the vesc?

@edit oops did I just mention 12s to b264 :joy:

3 Likes

I am getting around 18-19wh/km. Dual 6355 maytechs, 12S5P with 6shooters. This is on a hilly area with lots of starting and stopping due to traffic etc. I go full throttle most of the time, average speed 26km/h, top speed 50-52km/h I weigh 78kg but closer to 90kg with backpack and gear.

3 Likes

What’s your battery, gearing and dual 6374?

10s4p panasonic pf 18650 15t 60t and yes dual 6374 which tbh is way overkill but I traded a deck for them so worked out cheap.

vesc settings Photo%2019-02-2019%2C%2012%2004%2018 here is the build thread

1 Like

yeah thats why no boosted rider ever gets a actual 7 miles in range, thats why people only get 4 miles of actual range on a boosted the key word is advertised

1 Like

I wouldn’t say no boosted rider ever gets 7 miles out of a standard range pack. The people who get 4 miles out of one are the people riding at full throttle the whole way. But there are also people content to go slower who manage to get 7 miles. Although I do think esk8 company’s shouldn’t just be advertising the highest possible range, because then people think no matter how they ride they should get that number. Instead I would give 2 range numbers 1 for aggressive riding and the other for the max range you can squeeze out of it. But I know they won’t do that because they want sales and most people don’t look further than the basic specs.

3 Likes

i personally think all esk8 should be tested at a airport/ flat road going full speed until battery is dead and i think the person testing it should be 180 pounds

but than again every company would need to change because if one company tested this way their specs would be considerably lower then other companys.

sry for the wording

2 Likes

I mean it would be nice to have a standard way of measuring range wouldn’t it. I just wish manufacturers would state the watt hours of their batteries without me having to dig through google. Also the problem i see with this is a board that can only go 20 mph will go at 20 and a board that can go 25 will have to go 25 so the faster board will be using more power to overcome air resistance. So I don’t think it would be an equal test maybe all boards tested on a flat road with a 180 pound rider goon the same speed. But again they’re driven by sales so they’re going to advertise inflated specs.

^ +1

agreed

Most of the range seems to be blown in the air by repeated starts ?

Hard acceleration from stand still drains big amps .

3 Likes

Yah assuming everything is mechanically aligned well and you’re not losing energy from belts rubbing or worn bearings or anything like that then most of the power is just in accelerating your mass (which just depends on your mass, friction, and the incline). Ideally you wouldn’t brake though would use all the energy to keep going forward, when braking we get some power back but it’s not 100% efficient always bleeding off power as heat when it moves through components.

Also I get around the average range maybe a little better riding on urethane and mostly flat land around here I get about 7Wh/km (also I always kick off or jump on so the board isn’t accelerating me from 0)

2 Likes

whats your setup?

Single drive 6374 using Turnigy LiPos 20-30C 5Ah 10S using a belt and standard gear ratio…

Sort of old data so honestly not sure exactly what components I was using but the battery, speed controller, and motor have migrated around a few setups.

so you were only hitting a average of 10mph… that explains it.

Yeah I wasn’t racing to the convenience store :slight_smile: . Taking it easy on the throttle from complete stops helps too though.

2 Likes

hehe i cruise around 26mph…

when i take it easy i do 20mph,

i draw around 26/27 wh/mile

i also stop have stop and go traffic

3 Likes

Well hit 20mph at peak during the cruise but also lots of 0mph time while in the store with board idling outside.

Graph there doesn’t show the whole ride very well in embedded view https://metr.at/r/GLCvO <-- gives you a better idea seeing the whole thing.

That said I’m admittedly no speed demon, max I’ve taken it up to is 24mph and that is not a comfortable speed to me.

depends on how your board is setup.

1 Like

Depends on the rider too :slight_smile:

1 Like

somewhat, i used to ride a 27x7.5 deck and i could not hit 25mph without face planting, than switched to a spud and no wobbles. also switched my chinese paris clones to calibers